MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Part time jobs abelon3 General Discussion 13 06-19-2011 10:04 AM
Part-time Jobs at McMasterS feonateresa Volunteering Opportunities 5 06-22-2009 04:05 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Part-Time Jobs Available with University Advancement! temara.brown Volunteering Opportunities 0 08-21-2008 09:04 PM
part time jobs lorend Volunteering Opportunities 0 02-14-2008 07:27 PM

business student part time jobs

Old 08-18-2011 at 05:42 PM   #1
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

business student part time jobs
What kind of part time jobs do business students go for? and tell me any good opportunities out there !! I ask this because I don't just want to work at a restaurant or something.. it won't be helpful to my future career. I want tips and advice from business students. thanks.
Old 08-18-2011 at 06:41 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymich View Post
What kind of part time jobs do business students go for? and tell me any good opportunities out there !! I ask this because I don't just want to work at a restaurant or something.. it won't be helpful to my future career. I want tips and advice from business students. thanks.
Working at a resturant won't be helpful to your future career? This is not the sort of attitude you should approach looking for a job with... networking, people skills building, among other small skills will set you on the right path for what you will need in the future. Maybe you'll advance up the ladder of your resturant job to the point of management?

What exactly do you think would be your ideal job at this point in your life?

Several people I work with have developed very critical skills that aren't related to their career path that you would never have guessed they'd develop at the time of hiring..

Ish001, L'Étoile like this.
Old 08-18-2011 at 06:58 PM   #3
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
I'm not a business student, but I have to agree with Ryan. Work on gaining transferable skills, such as teamwork and communication. Employers want to see that you have something to offer. Even at a fast food restaurant you can talk about dealing with troublesome customers, resolving issues/conflicts with co-workers, etc. in an interview.
Old 08-18-2011 at 07:34 PM   #4
ymich

Liked: 8 Times

no offence to working at a restaurant. I had volunteer at a restaurant before, so, I believe I obtained those skills already. that's what I meant.
Old 08-18-2011 at 08:08 PM   #5
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
no one is going to tell you the oppurtunities avalible, b/c they'll want it for themselves, you're going to have to do your own research. and hope that the older students don't beat you out of the job, it will help if you're hot, but only if the employer is a guy.

Don't get to bummed out if you don't get a business job, doing school full time, and having a part time job still looks very impressive on a resume. (you're not in engineering or anything but thats not the point lol)

Be patient! The summer (next summer specifically) is where you can get the experience you need, with banks and small companies hiring, make sure you call all your contacts and or relatives to see if they can give your resume to someone/get you an interview. STUDY HARD! so you can get that business internship in 3rd year!!!

PS. im not in business, but a masters in finance etc. is the end goal. I got my first break a couple summers ago when my friends mom got me and him jobs at an insurance company, I didn't even have to go through the interview process, Connections are very important!!!

ymich likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 08:15 AM   #6
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

i agree with ryan c

Last edited by keiser=) : 08-19-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2011 at 08:37 AM   #7
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser=) View Post
I have the situation as you ymich….however during this economic times you need to be persistent, patient, not choosy and motivated
she shouldn't be motivated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser=) View Post
Finally, RyanC and all who agree to him are definitely right!
its agree with him not to him

and @OP u gurl piss me off, workin in a restaurant is amazing, its AMAZING. there are def more job opportunities in restaurants than in hospitals or businesses etc. I want to work in a coffee shop sooo bad! and even if u volunteered there once, gurl there is no such thing as I already got the skills.... there is something called experience.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 08-19-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2011 at 01:24 PM   #8
James1001

Liked: 5 Times

Hi ymich

I understand what you were asking and I'm also a Commerce Student....

I am currently working at an accounting firm in Brampton. I got the job by meeting the accountant I work for at an event held at McMaster called CA night...you get to meet and chat with accountants from the big 5 firms. It's a really good experience.

You gain a lot of job opportunities through networking and meeting people...but you can also look at working at a bank to start. Apply for a tellers position, or maybe even just customer service or something and work your way up from there. I know someone who did this and he's now handling Insurance for a TD branch.

Good luck, and remember that there are many opportunites out there. Just have the motivation to get your name out!

ymich says thanks to James1001 for this post.

ymich likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 01:39 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
she shouldn't be motivated?
There is no 'not' in front of motivated, just poorly listed the things. Oh, seeing as you are correcting people it's 'girl' not 'gurl'.

keiser=), RyanC like this.