MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Part-time Jobs at McMasterS feonateresa Volunteering Opportunities 5 06-22-2009 04:05 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Part-Time Jobs Available with University Advancement! temara.brown Volunteering Opportunities 0 08-21-2008 09:04 PM
part time jobs lorend Volunteering Opportunities 0 02-14-2008 07:27 PM

Part time jobs

Old 06-18-2011 at 07:03 PM   #1
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

Part time jobs
Hi, I'm considering working a part time job during the school year. If anyone had a part time job during the school year, how many hours a week did you work? Were you able to keep up with your school work or was it really stressful? Lastly, what kind of part time jobs are there throughout the campus?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:35 PM   #2
SC04

Liked: 4 Times

I had a part time job over the last school year. I only worked 10 hours a week, though I overloaded as well, so I probably could have handled a few more. I didn't find it too hard, though during the busy weeks during exams and just before reading week it got really busy. I worked during the day on campus, so the only issue was that I couldn't really get any work done through the day, I had to do it all at night. This is just the rule in general at university, but time management is key.

If you're looking for jobs on campus, you should check out OSCARplus later this summer. If you're recieving OSAP or qualify for the program by application, there'll be a ton of campus positions posted.
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:39 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelon3 View Post
Hi, I'm considering working a part time job during the school year. If anyone had a part time job during the school year, how many hours a week did you work? Were you able to keep up with your school work or was it really stressful? Lastly, what kind of part time jobs are there throughout the campus?

Thanks!
I can answer some of your questions..
I believe it's about 10 hours a week(I'm not sure if this is just for certain jobs or if it applies to all). Also, there's a whole variety of jobs on campus like hospitality-related jobs, at Titles, MSU part-time jobs, etc. Check OSCAR if you're interested in what kinds of jobs are currently open .
Old 06-18-2011 at 07:45 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Most oncampus part time jobs (like 85%) are through a program called WorkStudy. You have to be eligible for OSAP in order to work a WorkStudy job. They are 10 hours per week maximum. The rest of the oncampus part time jobs are harder to find. Like Sara said, they are mostly through the MSU or Hospitality.

Here is more information about Work-Study
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

Here is the MSU job listing website (click on a job title on the right, log in, then you can view all job listings)
https://www.msumcmaster.ca/jobs/overview/jobs.htm
Old 06-18-2011 at 09:45 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I've heard that on campus jobs are only available for students with OSAP..is this true?
Old 06-18-2011 at 09:53 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I've heard that on campus jobs are only available for students with OSAP..is this true?
The majority, but not all.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:00 PM   #7
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
The majority, but not all.
so is there a way to tell on OSCAR if the jobs listed belong to the OSAP students or all the students?
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:05 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
so is there a way to tell on OSCAR if the jobs listed belong to the OSAP students or all the students?
Yep, the OSAP-ones are usually labelled as Work-Study or it's written somewhere in the description.

icecubz says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:23 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Work study jobs are one way of working on campus, and to be eligible, you need to have applied for OSAP. So even if you don't need OSAP to fund your education, apply for it anyway.

There are of course others ways of finding work on and off campus. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2011 at 10:57 PM   #10
gulfx

Liked: 0 Times

anyone know how I could get to apply for a job in the pulse/athletic centre.. really interested!
Old 06-18-2011 at 11:42 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfx View Post
anyone know how I could get to apply for a job in the pulse/athletic centre.. really interested!
It's online at the Athrec. website, here: http://www.marauders.ca/sports/2011/...ent&path=admin
Also, note that most jobs get full in the Spring of the year before.
http://www.marauders.ca/sports/2011/...th=intramurals

gulfx says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 01:13 AM   #12
jeeves

Liked: 0 Times

Are the work-study jobs for the fall term posted? I couldn't find any on OscarPlus.
Old 06-19-2011 at 07:51 AM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeves View Post
Are the work-study jobs for the fall term posted? I couldn't find any on OscarPlus.
Most get staffed 6 months prior.
Old 06-19-2011 at 10:04 AM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeves View Post
Most WorkStudy jobs for September are filled by the students working those jobs over the summer prior. But sometimes they aren't, so check OscarPlus around August 1st to see Fall openings. There are always SOME open WorkStudy jobs for the Fall, so check an eye out.