MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Going ahead with a scheduling conflict? amyshi Academics 3 06-15-2010 12:00 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Looking Ahead Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-01-2008 10:32 AM

Buy textbooks ahead of time?

Old 07-04-2011 at 12:04 PM   #1
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Buy textbooks ahead of time?
I was just wondering if its smart to buy textbooks ahead of time well just a few and there all used. I was planning to buy 1LS3 and 1A03/1AA3 ahead of time? Is it likely they'll change, and are there any other textbooks that most likely wont change for a first year life science student?
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:07 PM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

While I am not in life sci, Im pretty sure 1LS3 was custom courseware and 1A03 used CALCULUS 6E
Early Transcendentals by Stewart.
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:18 PM   #3
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

If you wanna save some money, try looking for an online version of the CALCULUS 6E Early Transcendentals. It's a pdf file.
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:20 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

It's better to wait until after the first lecture and see what you need and what you don't, and if you can buy older versions of a textbook and such. Math texts likely won't change and same with Bio and Chem as they just changed this year. However, it's still better to wait the first lecture or two, see what the prof says and then you can buy them used through the marketplace here, Titles used books or Facebook groups.
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:42 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I would wait until the profs say that the textbook is mandatory and necessary. IMO, the 1LS3 textbook was completely useless; I literally never opened it. All you need for that course is the coursepack.

Also, for psych 1X03/1XX3, I found the handbook to be useless too. It's basically a hard copy of the online lectures, without the "notes" section. So all there is are the slides and space beside them to write notes. I always made my notes on my laptop while listening to the online lectures, so I never used those handbooks. Also, don't buy the psych e-book, nothing in there will be testable (unless dr. kim decides to change that)

Chem and bio textbooks likely won't change and I would recommend you buy those, but there's no rush. Just wait until the first week of class to see what you need.
Old 07-04-2011 at 12:46 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

What Sara said, it is better to wait until the first lecture.
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:06 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Also the Bio and Chem text books may have "changed"
But really all they did increase the edition number, change the picture on the cover, swap a few chapters around, and make a few new practice problems. The old edition is still just as viable.

I would advise NOT to buy the 1LS3 textbook in advance and wait for the first lecture (actually, do this for all courses, but especially 1LS3) because they're currently in the process of writing a textbook for 1LT3 as well, which would then become the new combined 1LS3+1LT3 textbook. This would make the old 1LS3 textbook actually outdated (isntead of pretending to be outdated by introducing a new edition and new cover picture).
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:28 PM   #8
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Dr. Lovric wrote a new 1LS3 book (it can be used for 1LT3 too). He made it more of a math book, so I'd say buy it. Do not buy off of someone because that is an old one.
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:32 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Dr. Lovric wrote a new 1LS3 book (it can be used for 1LT3 too). He made it more of a math book, so I'd say buy it. Do not buy off of someone because that is an old one.
When did he write it? I took 1LS3 last year and I found the mandatory textbook to be useless. Are you talking about the optional "Calculus, Fear No More" textbook?
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:33 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I dont know about 1A03/AA3 but for 1LS3 dont buy the textbook
ur gonna regret it
all u need to buy is the course pack, this has everything u need
I didnt buy the textbook and not once did i think that I should've have gotten it
save ur money 1LS3 is basically review of highschool anyway
Old 07-04-2011 at 02:33 PM   #11
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

excitement is understandable but try not to rush things too much...as recommended above, it's better to wait till at least first lecture. You save a LOT of money also by buying online! Ebay is what I use
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:14 PM   #12
Biochem47
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
When did he write it? I took 1LS3 last year and I found the mandatory textbook to be useless. Are you talking about the optional "Calculus, Fear No More" textbook?
He wrote it during first semester last year and and finished second semester (or something like that...he had second semester off from teaching). It is the textbook they are using this year for 1LS3/1LT3, Dr. Clements showed it to me one time during office hours. It is hard covered and has an elephant on it.
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:17 PM   #13
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
He wrote it during first semester last year and and finished second semester (or something like that...he had second semester off from teaching). It is the textbook they are using this year for 1LS3/1LT3, Dr. Clements showed it to me one time during office hours. It is hard covered and has an elephant on it.
Oh then I have no idea if it'll be useful or not. I think mine had a frog on it
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:20 PM   #14
Biochem47
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Oh then I have no idea if it'll be useful or not. I think mine had a frog on it
I'd assume it will be, because the math department hated the frog one...hence the rewriting of it to be more of a "math" textbook. I'd suggest buying it.
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:25 PM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

im going to go against the consensus here and say by your books ahead of time. You can be pretty sure if you need it or not by checking out the course reviews or asking ppl who took the course before, and get the right edition by checking out marketplace. If you end up not needing the textbook, big deal your out 30-40 bucks (thats what the textbooks go for on ebay etc.), and can try to sell it again (maybe for more than what you bought it for hehe). All im saying is do your research as carefully as you can and you can end up saving a bundle.