MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
Going ahead with a scheduling conflict? amyshi Academics 3 06-15-2010 12:00 PM
It's that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time! manu MacInsiders Announcements 5 03-14-2010 03:47 AM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM
Looking Ahead Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-01-2008 10:32 AM

Buy textbooks ahead of time?

Old 07-04-2011 at 03:28 PM   #16
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Take a look at the course reviews to see if the textbook is used a lot in order to make the best decisions. There are definitely some courses where it is nice to have the course ware early and others where you should not even buy the textbook.
Old 07-04-2011 at 03:31 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I'd assume it will be, because the math department hated the frog one...hence the rewriting of it to be more of a "math" textbook. I'd suggest buying it.
Hmm, I haven't heard about that, has it been used yet?
That's much better. The original textbook was actually horrible. I only ever used the course package practice assignments and tests, but I'm sure the new textbook will be better, especially if Dr Lovric wrote it (he wrote the course pack as well)
Old 07-04-2011 at 04:28 PM   #18
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

I found for 1LS3 you didn't need the textbook. The custom course wear had plenty of practise questions, old tests and solutions. My friends who did buy it ended up never even opening it and regretted buying it.

For Chem I say maybe start shopping around for used prices at the most but you should really wait for your first lecture to find out what your prof will assign .
Old 07-04-2011 at 05:06 PM   #19
peace

Liked: 1 Time

i thought the book list will be released in August, which is before 1st lecture...
Old 07-04-2011 at 05:07 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
i thought the book list will be released in August, which is before 1st lecture...
Yeah, but books listed as required might not actually be required.
Old 07-04-2011 at 06:10 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
Yes, it's released in mid-August, however after the first lecture is when they tell you if you can use older versions, what's really required and what's optional, etc. It's when the prof really talks about the textbooks involved and you can ask questions, not just a list of books on the website
Old 07-04-2011 at 07:15 PM   #22
mediagurl

Liked: 22 Times

Is titles really really busy the first couple of weeks. I think I would rather just get them ahead of time then have the headache of waiting in aridiculous line at titles.
Old 07-04-2011 at 08:38 PM   #23
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediagurl View Post
Is titles really really busy the first couple of weeks. I think I would rather just get them ahead of time then have the headache of waiting in aridiculous line at titles.
Yea it's ridiculously busy. It's like real life MUGSI.

Old 07-04-2011 at 10:11 PM   #24
arnav92

Liked: 1 Time

i would suggest waiting for the science courses to release their course outlines so that you can see the required items and ensure you have the right editions! most courses use the same textbooks one year after the other, though, and even if they do change, the same textbook with a few words being different here and there is what you'll have, so it's definitely not a problem in most cases!