MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless G/Wireless N ?? Melanieee Computers & Tech 10 09-02-2010 04:48 PM
Wireless Issues? blackdragon Computers & Tech 0 07-05-2010 12:16 PM
Changes to MacConnect Wireless mdd1 MacInsiders Announcements 13 05-26-2010 02:56 PM
wireless on campus leek43 General Discussion 19 09-05-2009 09:42 PM
DC++ in the wireless network? Ownaginatios General Discussion 7 12-01-2008 10:22 PM

Campus Wireless: ABSOLUTLY Unacceptable Level

Old 11-30-2009 at 07:23 PM   #16
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

i think it depends on what time you use. i generally use it later in the day, and ive never had a big problem with it.
Old 11-30-2009 at 07:38 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
oh noes. you couldn't use the internet that is provided to you free of charge for ONE day.

bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I really wish you'd quit this thing that you do, where you post useless shit to get on people's nerves.

ANYWAY.

Yeah, this is really bad especially when you're doing work/study/group work at school. It's time consuming and aggravating. The internet has been slow for a couple weeks now. It varies though... I can tell you Thode/MDCL/CNH/MUSC have been really slow.

adrian, huzaifa47, Joey, malycknm all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.

adrian likes this.
Old 11-30-2009 at 07:44 PM   #18
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

to those that understand and feel the pain: awesome. To those that feel like poking back: I don't need to print off pages for every single online quiz, since when does 72-96 hours mean 1 day? And since when do my student fees not cost me anything?

And it's extremely bad anytime in the afternoon around Les Prince.
Old 11-30-2009 at 07:54 PM   #19
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Yea, I was in HSL today and I couldn't load a single page. It was rediculous.
Old 11-30-2009 at 07:57 PM   #20
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Mac seriously needs an IT overhaul.

Old 11-30-2009 at 09:41 PM   #21
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Soo annoying, I wasted so much time for my ELM page and such to load, and didn't even end up using my laptop...FAILLL!
Old 11-30-2009 at 09:42 PM   #22
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

It definitely needs an IT overhaul. Apparently the person at the helm was replaced last year, and some new things are finally getting introduced. Eventually solar (believe it or not) will be replaced by something with a higher capacity and the same applies for mugsi. On another note since, Im off topic. The wireless on campus for the past week was pure crap, it was so slow that logging into mac email and other services produced an error of loading page. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Old 11-30-2009 at 09:57 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
It definitely needs an IT overhaul. Apparently the person at the helm was replaced last year, and some new things are finally getting introduced. Eventually solar (believe it or not) will be replaced by something with a higher capacity and the same applies for mugsi. On another note since, Im off topic. The wireless on campus for the past week was pure crap, it was so slow that logging into mac email and other services produced an error of loading page. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
I think I will cry with happiness if SOLAR is replaced before I graduate.

... No chance in hell that's going to happen though.

Maegs likes this.
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:13 PM   #24
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I agree that wireless is terrible currently, but there are definitely things you can do in the mean time.

I'm not sure why you're so opposed to printing off CAPA and Chem Quizzes. Its extremely helpful to do that, regardless of what the wireless situation is. My quiz marks jumped when I figured out that if you print them and take them to class, the profs tend to mention the answers to every theory question (admittedly more helpful for second semester) and tend to go through the methods for the math based problems. As well, students tend to gather in Thode to work on them before they are due, and its a lot easier to help people/ be helped when your work is on paper.

CAPA I tended not to print off as frequently since most of them were pretty straightforward. That said, its still pretty handy.

If you absolutely must use computers, don't go to the libraries. There you'll always have a problem finding a computer. Try one of the labs in JHE, BSB, PC, etc etc. Also note that if you have your own ether net cord, you can plug your laptop in if you're in the student centre, as well as a few other places.

And if you really need to use wireless, go to the Williams across the street! Free wireless, and tasty food.

The internet problem is a big one, but its also one with several very easy work arounds. I would encourage you to contact UTS, but this is a problem that could take a while to fix. Hopefully some of these will help you until then!
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:46 PM   #25
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
From what I've heard, it's going to cost the university millions of dollars to replace SOLAR. They really don't have much money to work with right now so I'm not sure how long it would take for such a change to take place. Let's just all keep our fingers crossed.

Anyway, back on topic, the internet has been extremely slow for me too in the past week or so when I was on campus. They probably have lots of complaints about the wireless by now, especially since exams are right around the corner.
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:52 PM   #26
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Ya its becoming increasingly bad. Funny thing is if you do a speed test you get 50Mbps download but yet I can't even load the google homepage.

Anyways I'm pretty sure the IT people already know about it and are working on it. Just give it some time. Be patient and if you really need the internet bring an ethernet cord lol.

Last edited by Ender : 11-30-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:53 PM   #27
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Mac seriously needs an IT overhaul.
SRSLY.

Would make a great final year project for any Software Eng, Computer Science, and/or Multimedia/Digital Media students...

Any takers?
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:57 PM   #28
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
SRSLY.

Would make a great final year project for any Software Eng, Computer Science, and/or Multimedia/Digital Media students...

Any takers?
Thats actually not a bad idea for a capstone project! I doubt anyone will tackle it though hahaha.
Old 11-30-2009 at 10:58 PM   #29
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

I would totally do it if I was in any of those disciplines.
Old 11-30-2009 at 11:12 PM   #30
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
I would totally do it if I was in any of those disciplines.
What do software and multimedia have to do with hardware problems?