MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless G/Wireless N ?? Melanieee Computers & Tech 10 09-02-2010 04:48 PM
Wireless Issues? blackdragon Computers & Tech 0 07-05-2010 12:16 PM
Changes to MacConnect Wireless mdd1 MacInsiders Announcements 13 05-26-2010 02:56 PM
wireless on campus leek43 General Discussion 19 09-05-2009 09:42 PM
DC++ in the wireless network? Ownaginatios General Discussion 7 12-01-2008 10:22 PM

Campus Wireless: ABSOLUTLY Unacceptable Level

Old 11-30-2009 at 11:21 PM   #31
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
What do software and multimedia have to do with hardware problems?
I'm talking about McMaster's IT in general, which is less than impressive.
Old 11-30-2009 at 11:37 PM   #32
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
The internet problem is a big one, but its also one with several very easy work arounds. I would encourage you to contact UTS, but this is a problem that could take a while to fix. Hopefully some of these will help you until then!
Although your suggestions are true and quite handy (thanks!), I don't believe for a second that us students should have to 'work around' internet availability. Before someoen chimes in and says "internet is a privelage, not a right," realize we're all underraduate students, and we're paying more than pocket change to attend McMaster, and with our academic requirements, we shouldn't have the basic availability of wireless internet in our long list of worries. It sounds spoiled saying reliable internet is expected, but it is!!

Needless to say, HSL has been murdering me. As has MUSC. I've been trying to figure out if it's due to increased number of users, or if somethign has gone wrong that is causing this tragedy.
Old 12-01-2009 at 12:29 AM   #33
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

hopefully they're upgrading and adding new servers and access points so the service is being interrupted while they do that... maybe?
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:16 AM   #34
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I was at both Mills and Innis yesterday afternoon, and I know other people were having problems, but I had none. If I didn't hear complaints from others, I never would have known anything was wrong.
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:36 AM   #35
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

oddly enough, i'm in health sci library right now, and it's very fast!! midn you, it's not that busy right now, so that could be why
Old 12-01-2009 at 10:22 AM   #36
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

First of all, for some people who keep going back to printing out the capa and chem quizzes, this topic is about wireless internet and the author just used capa/quiz assignment as an example, really.

The internet has been disgusting for past week. I was working on a group project with my group and I could not get internet to load up some webpages for research. It is already a hassle to set up a group meeting to get around everyone's schedule, but then to sit 10 mins just for a webpage to load is a drag.

We seriously do need a IT overhaul. As for too many people using it, the univesrity should expect that many people to be using it considering total number of students that go here. Maybe if im in my 4th or5th year i will give it a go..
Old 12-01-2009 at 10:30 AM   #37
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

This is what I got back from UTS. So let's all try to send an e-mail to Gord so he knows there is a huge problem.

"There have been very few problems if any reported regarding the wireless
network. Where specifically are you trying to connect."

Gord Stephan
UTS Service Desk
[email protected]
Tel: (905) 525-9140 ext. 24357
Fax: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University
University Technology Services (UTS)
Burke Science Building, Room 245
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1
Old 12-01-2009 at 10:43 AM   #38
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
This is what I got back from UTS. So let's all try to send an e-mail to Gord so he knows there is a huge problem.

"There have been very few problems if any reported regarding the wireless
network. Where specifically are you trying to connect."

Gord Stephan
UTS Service Desk
[email protected]
Tel: (905) 525-9140 ext. 24357
Fax: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University
University Technology Services (UTS)
Burke Science Building, Room 245
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1
Hahaha typical response.

By the way, I don't think it was merely capacity. My wireless wasn't just slow, the signal was completely dropping at points, despite sitting in a place where i can normally get multiple signals with ease.

That said, for some reason it's better today so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
Old 12-01-2009 at 11:06 AM   #39
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

I was in Thode yesterday for ~4 hours, could not get one website to load over WiFi.

Ended up watching two movies instead.
Old 12-01-2009 at 11:15 AM   #40
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Hahaha typical response.
yes that was an adequate response.
he told the person that this is the first he's hearing of this. And then he wanted more information.

Seriously, a few hours of no wifi and you all QQ about it on a message board.
email uts, rather than complain on here.

If the HSR bus is late are you going to come on here and whine about that too?

shit happens.
Old 12-01-2009 at 11:18 AM   #41
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

my wireless is fine throughout campus...
Old 12-01-2009 at 11:21 AM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well, it seems to be much better today since I'm on MI in innis right now.

Yesterday though, I couldn't even load the google home page/elm/hotmail/ANYTHING. Been like that way for a past week.

And for anyone saying stop complaining, I'll complain till my face turns purple.

Nothing more aggravating then deliberately coming onto campus to study at school, only to find out I can't open elm upon arrival.

But, I asked the librarian guy yesterday and he said it was a campus-wide problem and that they were well aware of the poor speeds. So I think that Gord guy is just trying to cover it up. XD haha.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-01-2009 at 11:43 AM   #43
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
yes that was an adequate response.
he told the person that this is the first he's hearing of this. And then he wanted more information.

email uts, rather than complain on here.

If the HSR bus is late are you going to come on here and whine about that too?

shit happens.
it was a week not few hours, and mac should have said something about it such as "wifi will be slow as we are experiencing technical difficulties" or something similar to that. This is not the first time it has happened, and it will most likely happen again.
UTS response was a type of response that you give to a person to let them notify that the message has been recieved, and these type of response happpen in all the companies.
But yea if i am paying 15-20K per year to the university, they better let me know if there are problems with the wifi instead of just hiding it, and saying its fine.
Old 12-01-2009 at 12:33 PM   #44
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post

shit happens.
I don't know about you, but many people go to the library to get work done and study. This often involves using the internet. If someone has allocated some time in their busy schedule to do work, and then finds out that internet is so slow that he or she can't do anything, its gets a little frustrating.

Rather than bashing people on the forums try to put yourself in other people's shoes so you can try and see how they feel.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 12-01-2009 at 12:42 PM   #45
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
Although your suggestions are true and quite handy (thanks!), I don't believe for a second that us students should have to 'work around' internet availability. Before someoen chimes in and says "internet is a privelage, not a right," realize we're all underraduate students, and we're paying more than pocket change to attend McMaster, and with our academic requirements, we shouldn't have the basic availability of wireless internet in our long list of worries. It sounds spoiled saying reliable internet is expected, but it is!!

Needless to say, HSL has been murdering me. As has MUSC. I've been trying to figure out if it's due to increased number of users, or if somethign has gone wrong that is causing this tragedy.
Its a problem that shouldn't be occuring, but things happen. Problems will arise, invariably. I just wanted to make a few suggestions so thtat people can still continue their study habits to fullest extent possible when problems do occur, and are waiting to be fixed.

However, UTS cannot fix the problem if no one is telling them about it. Their reply seems to suggest not a lot of people have been emailing them (which is pretty likely, diffusion of responsibility and all that). Anyone who is having a problem, please email them!

Emailing them to let them know, and trying to work around until they fix it is the only thing we can do right now. (btw, if we're paying for internet it isn't a privilege or a right, its a service )

ali11 likes this.