MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci 2B03 term 2 no tutorial assigned??? jubilantx Academics 3 08-14-2010 10:33 AM
Assigned to a wrong class? VastHorizon Academics 12 08-12-2010 05:32 PM
No assigned prof yet? jdia Academics 11 07-28-2010 12:50 PM
Tutorial to be Assigned by Administrator? MarissaK Academics 8 09-01-2009 08:13 AM
moving into res later than assigned dates sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-30-2008 09:32 PM

Can I attend Cores I'm not assigned to?

Old 08-10-2012 at 03:56 PM   #1
ChrisKam

Liked: 3 Times

Can I attend Cores I'm not assigned to?
The core I wanted to get into for my Chem class was unfortunately full, and now I have to have it later in the day which completely ruins my schedule. Sometimes I have to wait around 4 hours or so for class! I'm just wondering if it's possible to attend the earlier classes without getting in any sort of trouble and having everything covered for the labs and tutorials. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2012 at 03:58 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

You certainly can attend other cores, they all teach the exact same stuff! The only issue with Chem is that part of your mark (which is optional, but certainly a mark booster) is the the iClicker which you can only get marks for if you are in your assigned core.

Edit: If you keep logging into SOLAR its very likely you will eventually find a spot in the lecture section you want.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:15 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

that core will open up most likely. keep checking. if not then just go to science adviser or something and they will put you in since that class will never get full anyways in terms of seats.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:15 PM   #4
McUsed

Liked: 7 Times

Yep, but God forbid you take the seat of someone who is actually enrolled in that core when the class is full.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:16 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Silver, that's not necessarily true.

If you want to go to a full section, and it's legitimately full, you're taking up the spot of somebody who is actually registered in that section. There was a huge problem in first-year chem when I took it where somebody registered in the section came in and there was not a single seat available, so they left and posted on the discussion boards after asking if they could borrow notes...the prof was not happy, especially since she typically spent the first several minutes of each class trying to find seats for people sitting in the aisles.

Basically, if there's room then it's fine, but if there isn't, then get out and go to your proper section. This applies for all courses.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:16 PM   #6
ChrisKam

Okay thanks. Just got the Psych course I wanted :]

Checking everyday to try and switch that Chem up there, but it's good to know I won't have to wait 5 hours at Mac.

@Starfish

I'll be sure to take notice of that. Hopefully as the semester goes on, less people attend class.
Old 08-10-2012 at 04:51 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Silver, that's not necessarily true.

If you want to go to a full section, and it's legitimately full, you're taking up the spot of somebody who is actually registered in that section. There was a huge problem in first-year chem when I took it where somebody registered in the section came in and there was not a single seat available, so they left and posted on the discussion boards after asking if they could borrow notes...the prof was not happy, especially since she typically spent the first several minutes of each class trying to find seats for people sitting in the aisles.

Basically, if there's room then it's fine, but if there isn't, then get out and go to your proper section. This applies for all courses.
meh i dont see it happening in chem. it may happen sometime during the first week or two but once classes get rolling, people will stop going. i've heard of it happening for first year engineering math at the start of a term but people stopped going to class altogether very soon.
Old 08-10-2012 at 05:36 PM   #8
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
meh i dont see it happening in chem. it may happen sometime during the first week or two but once classes get rolling, people will stop going. i've heard of it happening for first year engineering math at the start of a term but people stopped going to class altogether very soon.
Happened with Lovric's class for 1LS3 and Lock's class for Chem 1AA3 when I was in first year quite often
Old 08-10-2012 at 07:35 PM   #9
ChrisKam

Just wondering... You guys say I could probably switch my cores for my Chem class at some point, but how exactly can I do this? Should I be checking a couple of times every day? Should I be checking after the semester starts?

Right now I check up on it a couple times per day. Is this recommended or are there some days where places usually become open that I should anticipate?
Old 08-10-2012 at 09:38 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Chem was the example that I gave. It was a chronic problem that lasted all term.
Old 08-10-2012 at 10:42 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

meh, if a class does get full and youre not enrolled in that core then yea leave, but the its a rare thing for every class especially once the term gets rolling.
Old 08-10-2012 at 10:48 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKam View Post
Just wondering... You guys say I could probably switch my cores for my Chem class at some point, but how exactly can I do this? Should I be checking a couple of times every day? Should I be checking after the semester starts?

Right now I check up on it a couple times per day. Is this recommended or are there some days where places usually become open that I should anticipate?
Aug 13, Aug 14, Class Start date, around the Add-Drop dates (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...essional.html), and pretty much throughout the first week of class. Everything else would be random. I would imagine near the end of august, once people have moved into their houses, people focus on school stuff and will switch out or drop.