MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci 2B03 term 2 no tutorial assigned??? jubilantx Academics 3 08-14-2010 10:33 AM
Assigned to a wrong class? VastHorizon Academics 12 08-12-2010 05:32 PM
No assigned prof yet? jdia Academics 11 07-28-2010 12:50 PM
Tutorial to be Assigned by Administrator? MarissaK Academics 8 09-01-2009 08:13 AM
Moving In katie_batt Residence & Housing 4 07-27-2008 11:26 PM

moving into res later than assigned dates

Old 08-30-2008 at 11:57 AM   #1
sj316

Liked: 0 Times

moving into res later than assigned dates
my assgined date for moving in is sunday but i don't think
i can move in on that day so i'm thinking of moving in on monday instead.
do i have to contact the office and let them know that i'm moving in on monday?
and can i move in any time monday?
Old 08-30-2008 at 12:19 PM   #2
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

If you need to move in later you can, but keep in mind there likely won't be anyone around to help you move your things in. I'd encourage you to give Housing a call to give them a heads-up, but there may not be anyone in the office to speak to this weekend (they'll all be busy with move-in!).
Old 08-30-2008 at 09:20 PM   #3
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Hi Cippi! My move-in date was supposed to be today (Mckay Hall) but I asked Housing if it was okay to move-in the next day (Sunday tomorrow) and they said yes it was okay. But my building is having its first Community meeting today. Am i gonna miss anything big? :( Please help!
Old 08-30-2008 at 09:32 PM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

What you'll be missing is essentially two things - icebreakers/get-to-know-each-other activities to allow you to learn a bit about the people you'll be living with on your floor, and a quick rundown of the major rules of residence and how they're enforced (which is outlined in the Residence Code of Conduct and other policy documents - you can find those at http://housing.mcmaster.ca, then Residence Admissions --> Residence Policies).

The first part is a nice introduction to your floormates, but not crucial - you'll be spending 8 months with these people, so you'll definitely get to know them regardless. The second is a little more important, in that you must know the things you are and aren't allowed to do in residence. If you've actually read the RCC, then you're probably ahead of most people (who don't seem to bother). The other important things to learn about are things like the guest policy and alcohol policy, which you can also read online. Your Community Advisors (CAs) will probably be more than happy to give you a quick rundown tomorrow of what you've missed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The nice thing about hearing it at the meeting is that they only really talk about the most important and relevant parts, and they may also give some hints about how they'll be enforcing the rules that year.

But really, you should be fine - just make sure you connect with your CA when you do move in, and they'll fill you in on what you need to know. Also, know that Welcome Week will be in full swing for you by that point, so make sure you get your stuff moved in fast and get out there with your building and enjoy the events!