MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work Study Program aw07 General Discussion 4 06-22-2011 03:23 PM
Confusion over work study Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-26-2011 01:52 AM
McMaster World Congress - Student Position Available nbontis MacInsiders Announcements 2 06-18-2010 10:31 PM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM
Work-Study nuttynatz General Discussion 18 08-16-2007 09:55 PM

Can I enter a MacWork position as a osap work study student?

Old 07-21-2011 at 04:08 PM   #1
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

Can I enter a MacWork position as a osap work study student?
I am a first year student...so I believe I am not eligible for Macwork however I am eligible for Osap work study I believe ...Can I work at a place asking for Macwork papers as a workstudy student?
Old 07-21-2011 at 04:29 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The application doesn't come out on Oscarplus until August 1st.
Old 07-21-2011 at 05:18 PM   #3
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Someone correct me if i'm wrong:

But from what I know... and im almost certain this is correct, the Work-Study program is a part of the McWork Program.

So if your applying for a work position next year, you are most likely applying for a Work Study program position anyway, which you can get approval for on Aug. 1st, through MUGSI, and then apply to all the Work Study programs you want on OscarPlus.

I'm not sure if that answers your question... but you can always contact the employer and ask them as well Thats what i ended up having to do last summer, because I didn't get my approval till after the interview, so I just worked it out with my employer.

more info on it here:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html

Last edited by hamnahx02 : 07-21-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2011 at 06:04 PM   #4
JayChu

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnahx02 View Post
Someone correct me if i'm wrong:

But from what I know... and im almost certain this is correct, the Work-Study program is a part of the McWork Program.

So if your applying for a work position next year, you are most likely applying for a Work Study program position anyway, which you can get approval for on Aug. 1st, through MUGSI, and then apply to all the Work Study programs you want on OscarPlus.

I'm not sure if that answers your question... but you can always contact the employer and ask them as well Thats what i ended up having to do last summer, because I didn't get my approval till after the interview, so I just worked it out with my employer.

more info on it here:
http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
Almost certain?
Well, this is my understanding of it.
Because some profs or employers can't pay you directly due to poor funding, they let the government do that, hence the work-study program.
MacWork is only a term used describing jobs that can be found at McMaster.
MacWork and Work-Study are pretty much the same thing. Except, in order to participate for MacWork, you must be in the Work-Study Program, and the forms will come out after August 1st, as the Summer job applications are still up.

Also, just because you're first year, doesn't mean you can't do it. It all depends on the job description. But definitely, if you know about work-study, apply for it immediatly to get your approval and figure your stuff out soon.
Old 07-21-2011 at 09:08 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

McWork and Work-Study are the same thing.
"McWork": the name for the summer work program
"Work-Study": the name for the schoolyear work program

You can no longer apply for the summer work program (McWork). You can apply for the schoolyear work program (Work-Study) on August 1st on MUGSI. You are eligible for the work program if you are eligible for OSAP. If you're not eligible for OSAP, you can fill out forms from the Financial Aid Office that will help your eligibility for the work program.

Sometimes the terms McWork and Work-Study are used to refer to the program in general. I know it's confusing, hopefully that clears it up a bit! Not ALL jobs on campus jobs are work program jobs, but many of them are.