MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last day to drop/cancel a course? MissLissaBee Academics 3 02-12-2014 06:55 PM
Add/ Cancel Courses Ever Academics 10 11-05-2012 09:01 AM
Cancel all term 1 courses Thinker Academics 3 10-22-2012 04:09 PM
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
Last day to cancel a course Reda General Discussion 5 10-26-2010 07:42 PM

Can McMaster cancel my courses?

Old 09-27-2014 at 12:20 AM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

Can McMaster cancel my courses?
I was given an extension to pay for my courses which I did before the deadline. However, I'm not physically present to join my classes yet but I'll be next week. I understand I'll have missed a lot of classes but I've good reason and supporting documents to stay away from Mac.
Also I'm taking a lighter course load 60%, so I'm sure that I can catch up with classes when I arrive next week. And only one of my courses has labs.
McMaster is not saying that since I'm not physically present at Mac so they're going to cancel my courses for this term. Can they use this reason and really cancel my courses when I've made the payment and have supporting documents to explain my absence?
What can i do? I really don't want them to cancel my courses. :/
Old 09-27-2014 at 09:04 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

You're not in high school anymore. Attendance doesn't matter in university. They would much rather take your money and have you fail the courses than kick you out by the end of September.

Attendance only matters for things that are graded. You have to work out arrangements with the individual profs and your faculty, otherwise you get zero. Supporting documentation gives you the opportunity to make those other arrangements (which could include make-up assignments/labs, moving the weight to your exam, etc), but you still have to take the responsibility for that otherwise you get a zero on those items, and that is really the only consequence of missing things, assuming you can learn the material on your own.
Old 09-27-2014 at 10:27 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

As starfish said, attendance doesn't really matter in university. You have a choice to be present in class or not. But if you choose not to go to class as much, you have the responsibility to catch on the materials you missed during your absence. That means talking to your TAs and profs about options you can do in order to do the work you've missed. McMaster does not cancel your courses automatically if you don't attend them, you do the cancelling if you didn't want to take certain courses.
Old 09-28-2014 at 12:32 AM   #4
kakarot

Well that's what I tried telling them. However they're saying that they submitted the paperwork to cancel my courses (when they knew I'd made the payment already) saying oh your payment hasn't arrived, and now I can only attend Term 2 if I wish. I paid by bank wire so it took some time but I submitted the receipt 2 business days ahead of the deadline. I have an email from sfas saying that I need only submit the receipt of the wire and that'll be it.

When I told them this they started saying "you're not at Mac so Attending term 1 is not feasible hence the University deadline of September 12 to join classes" and we're cancelling your courses.

So I don't know what to do. i'm okay with receiving a 0 on missed work. So when you hear them saying "You are not at the University. You are missing all classes, labs and all evaluations. It will not be possible for you to catch up." it boils your blood. I mean heck if I want to try and I've already paid for it then WHY? There's always Nov7 deadline if they're feeling so protective isn't it?
Should I consider going to court against Mac?
Old 09-28-2014 at 09:20 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

From your original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
McMaster is not saying that since I'm not physically present at Mac so they're going to cancel my courses for this term. Can they use this reason and really cancel my courses when I've made the payment and have supporting documents to explain my absence?
What can i do? I really don't want them to cancel my courses. :/
Now, things seem to have changed:
Quote:
Well that's what I tried telling them. However they're saying that they submitted the paperwork to cancel my courses (when they knew I'd made the payment already) saying oh your payment hasn't arrived, and now I can only attend Term 2 if I wish. I paid by bank wire so it took some time but I submitted the receipt 2 business days ahead of the deadline. I have an email from sfas saying that I need only submit the receipt of the wire and that'll be it.

When I told them this they started saying "you're not at Mac so Attending term 1 is not feasible hence the University deadline of September 12 to join classes" and we're cancelling your courses.

So I don't know what to do. i'm okay with receiving a 0 on missed work. So when you hear them saying "You are not at the University. You are missing all classes, labs and all evaluations. It will not be possible for you to catch up." it boils your blood. I mean heck if I want to try and I've already paid for it then WHY? There's always Nov7 deadline if they're feeling so protective isn't it?
Should I consider going to court against Mac?
First, who is "they" and "them"?
Second, what changed from your first post and now?
People don't pay tuition all the time and the school is quite happy to charge them interest. People also don't go to classes quite often, and I'm sure the two overlap.
Your email from SFAS also doesn't make sense. If you sent the money wire, why would you need to submit receipt of it?

I also don't see any reason to go to court against Mac - they haven't actually done anything yet.

Honestly, you're really not giving us a lot of information to go off of and what you have given is kind of confusing. And all things aside, I really do believe it will be incredibly difficult to catch up on missed work, and your grades will definitely suffer as a result.
Old 09-28-2014 at 10:27 AM   #6
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
From your original post:
First, who is "they" and "them"?
Second, what changed from your first post and now?
People don't pay tuition all the time and the school is quite happy to charge them interest. People also don't go to classes quite often, and I'm sure the two overlap.
Your email from SFAS also doesn't make sense. If you sent the money wire, why would you need to submit receipt of it?

I also don't see any reason to go to court against Mac - they haven't actually done anything yet.

Honestly, you're really not giving us a lot of information to go off of and what you have given is kind of confusing. And all things aside, I really do believe it will be incredibly difficult to catch up on missed work, and your grades will definitely suffer as a result.
Okay.
1) My account was in collections so I was asked to pay in full by sfas before they okayed my osap application.
2) Couldn't pay by Sept.12(last day to drop courses), asked for an extension, was given till Sept19. Paid by sept17.
3) Received a message from Engineering department that they've submitted papers to cancel my courses on Sept.19 saying I couldn't meet the deadline and wasn't going to classes.
4) Have valid reason for not going to classes. provided Engineering with Supporting documents but nada. Still my
courses are being cancelled, reason being given is not going to classes. Engineering has now stopped saying it's cause of the payment.
I'm okay if given a 0 for missed work (haven't missed a lot of work+would give 1st midterms for sure).

Money wired was from an international bank account so it might've taken some time to show up, hence the receipt. Even the payment page on Mugsi states this that one can submit the completed wire form once the payment is made.

Going to court is my last option in case my courses are actually cancelled. They haven't been yet. I thought maybe I wasn't the only one to go through this so just wanted to know some more opinions.
Old 09-28-2014 at 10:50 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Okay.
1) My account was in collections so I was asked to pay in full by sfas before they okayed my osap application.
2) Couldn't pay by Sept.12(last day to drop courses), asked for an extension, was given till Sept19. Paid by sept17.
3) Received a message from Engineering department that they've submitted papers to cancel my courses on Sept.19 saying I couldn't meet the deadline and wasn't going to classes.
4) Have valid reason for not going to classes. provided Engineering with Supporting documents but nada. Still my
courses are being cancelled, reason being given is not going to classes. Engineering has now stopped saying it's cause of the payment.
I'm okay if given a 0 for missed work (haven't missed a lot of work+would give 1st midterms for sure).

Money wired was from an international bank account so it might've taken some time to show up, hence the receipt. Even the payment page on Mugsi states this that one can submit the completed wire form once the payment is made.

Going to court is my last option in case my courses are actually cancelled. They haven't been yet. I thought maybe I wasn't the only one to go through this so just wanted to know some more opinions.
Okay, so it sounds like you had financial issues with the school before the term even started - is this left over from last year? What year are you in? Your profile says first, but that seems unlikely based on this post.

As for the receipt for the transfer, you stated you had to submit receipt OF the transfer, not the receipt FOR the transfer. The first implies you are the one receiving it, and the second implies a physical receipt that you get from sending it - hence the confusion.

How "valid" is your valid reason? Sometimes students think they have a valid reason but the school disagrees - once you found out you wouldn't be able to attend classes for a month, what did you do? How did the school respond initially? You said that they did not say they'd cancel your courses, so what changed?

It still seems like I'm missing something, because there's no reason the school would kick you out instead of taking your money and charging you interest + late fees. I have a sibling at Mac in a different faculty who forgot to pay tuition (she is a bit scatterbrained, yes ) and the school didn't even tell her - it was December and she realized on her own that she hadn't paid. And since attendance isn't mandatory, there's no reason to cancel based on that either. As far as I know, there's not a maximum number of zeroes you can get in a course before you automatically fail. And I'm still a bit confused as to whether they are two separate issues or if they're related.

I don't see what suing the school will accomplish - it'll likely take months if not years to sort out and by then, the fact that you lost the term won't even matter. You'll probably have lost a lot more by then. Besides, you can't do anything unless they actually kick you out.

I really don't think you'll find anyone else that has been in a similar situation. It's very unique.
Old 09-28-2014 at 11:42 AM   #8
kakarot

1st year. Zero balance from previous year.
why would i receive a transfer when i'm paying for tuition?
valid reason is that i lost my passport.i went to the police and scanned the report to mac.
i paid by the deadline so thats what changed and my courses are still being cancelled.
you go to courts for justice.you dont care how long it takes. And why cant i sue mac until they kick me out?
Old 09-28-2014 at 11:52 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
1st year. Zero balance from previous year.
why would i receive a transfer when i'm paying for tuition?
valid reason is that i lost my passport.i went to the police and scanned the report to mac.
i paid by the deadline so thats what changed and my courses are still being cancelled.
you go to courts for justice.you dont care how long it takes. And why cant i sue mac until they kick me out?
Your account doesn't go "into collections" a couple of weeks after the deadline to pay. This seems suspicious.

I don't know why you would receive a transfer, but the way you had worded it, that's what you wrote, which is why I was confused.

I also don't know how valid of a reason the school would consider that. Generally, you are responsible for getting yourself to the university. It seems kind of ridiculous because you are legally prevented from getting here, but they can also argue that you should have taken care of this well in advance.

You can't sue Mac unless they kick you out because they haven't done anything wrong. You can't take legal action against someone because they might do something wrong. And even from what you've said, they're not planning on kicking you out, just canceling your fall courses.

I really don't think you're going to get any more help on MI. This is something you need to work out with the school, because what you're saying doesn't match with the school's policies, at least as far as I am aware of. If there is some sort of policy regarding attendance or maximum number of missed assessments, you need to find out what that is.