MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is the last day to drop term II summer class? quaglia13 Academics 10 07-09-2010 09:51 AM
Summer School Class RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2010 05:54 PM
Dropping Summer Class MrSmith Academics 7 06-14-2010 09:35 PM
German 1Z06 Summer Class EasternHeat First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-04-2010 04:19 PM
Summer School/Failed Class Ruggedman Academics 6 04-15-2010 12:28 AM

Can I return a textbook from summer class?

Old 06-22-2010 at 10:25 PM   #1
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

Can I return a textbook from summer class?
Hi so I bought a textbook last week but I have since dropped the course. Am I able to return it for a refund? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2010 at 02:17 AM   #2
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Don't they staple those refund notes on your receipt when you buy it?
I'm not sure, but all I know is that coursewares aren't refundable.
I think you can refund the textbook in original condition within a timeframe?
Or else good luck selling it back to the hole in the wall, you'll receive like $0.01 back.

Why not bring it to the bookstore and see if you can get it refunded?
Old 06-23-2010 at 08:40 AM   #3
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

I am pretty sure you can, they give you a certain amount of days, usually the will give you a receipt (as stated by hollie012) You can always just go an see what they say.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:08 PM   #4
Chris98

Alright, and where do I go to return it? Back at the tank?
Old 06-24-2010 at 10:16 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris98 View Post
Alright, and where do I go to return it? Back at the tank?
Usually it's the Hole in the Wall near Titles.
Old 06-24-2010 at 10:35 AM   #6
djboehling

Liked: 0 Times

the last day to return your textbook for a full refund is saturday (the 26th)
(it should say that on the top of your receipt?)
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:18 AM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

You can only refund it if it hasn't been opened (still has the plastic wrap on it). Otherwise, you'll have to settle for buyback or selling it to someone. As people have already said, it tells you on your reciept what the return policy is.
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:22 AM   #8
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

A few words about Bookstore Refunds
The Last Day for Summer refunds is this Saturday June 26, 2010
  • During the Summer refunds are done in the store at the check out counters. Titles does refunds at the Hole in the wall only During the big Fall and Winter Rush.
  • You need a receipt to do a refund. A Course Materials buyer or a manager will check out your book and determine if we can take it back. Custom Courseware is non-refundable.
  • There will no longer be refund policy slips stapled to the receipts as this is a gross waste of paper. The refund policy is now written on the back of all receipts.
  • Titles is now doing refunds a bit differently... newer receipts will have a bar code on the bottom that allows us to scan the receipt at the cash desk and do the refund right there (no more running around the store from cash register to Customer Service Desk and then back to cash register)
TEXTBOOK REFUND DEADLINES
Summer Term: June 26, 2010
Fall Term: September 26, 2010
Winter Term: January 15, 2011
Old 06-24-2010 at 03:04 PM   #9
Chris98

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
The Last Day for Summer refunds is this Saturday June 26, 2010
  • During the Summer refunds are done in the store at the check out counters. Titles does refunds at the Hole in the wall only During the big Fall and Winter Rush.
  • You need a receipt to do a refund. A Course Materials buyer or a manager will check out your book and determine if we can take it back. Custom Courseware is non-refundable.
  • There will no longer be refund policy slips stapled to the receipts as this is a gross waste of paper. The refund policy is now written on the back of all receipts.
  • Titles is now doing refunds a bit differently... newer receipts will have a bar code on the bottom that allows us to scan the receipt at the cash desk and do the refund right there (no more running around the store from cash register to Customer Service Desk and then back to cash register)
TEXTBOOK REFUND DEADLINES
Summer Term: June 26, 2010
Fall Term: September 26, 2010
Winter Term: January 15, 2011
Awsome, thanks!

Would I still be able to return the book if I bought it used?
And, why is it that courseware is non-refundable?
Old 06-24-2010 at 03:07 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

As far as I know, you can return used books.

You can't return courseware because it can't be re-sold for courses in other years (each courseware is specific to the prof and year it's being taught), and they print enough so that everyone in the class has one. If a lot of people drop the class or don't buy the courseware, then they've lost money. If you return it, it's like you never bought it, so they'll still lose money.

staceygab says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-24-2010 at 03:35 PM   #11
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Returning Used Books and Courseware
Yes you can return Used Textbooks.

neural is right about the reason why you can't return Courseware– the Bookstore tries to do as much rain check , print on demand as we can with those because any leftover usually have to be chucked in the recycle bin – we keep the cost low by not over printing and paying for waste.

Courseware is specific for each semester do to the copyright right laws - copyright can only be granted a semester at a time making illegal for the Bookstore to resell without renewing the copyright which costs money.

We do reuse parts of old coursepacks if we have them and if the Prof is still using those articles but we have to repay for the copyright permissions every time but the beauty of courseware is that it usually contains current, relevant articles and the Profs are always updating them.