MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Summer School Class RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2010 05:54 PM
Does the first summer school class run the whole length? goldfish101 Academics 1 05-02-2010 02:16 PM
Total Cost For 1 Summer School Course? Class available after 4pm? ashleychin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 03-27-2010 02:30 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Summer School/Failed Class

Old 04-14-2010 at 07:40 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Summer School/Failed Class
Hey guys just had a quick question.

this past summer i took a summer school course for the upcoming school year (which is this year) so i was essentially a credit ahead. However i could possibly be on the verge of failing a class this semester so my question here is this:

When all is said and done, how will this affect my transcript. The course i took was not a required one nor is the course i could possibly do very bad in. Also, after 4 years, will they look at the course i did bad on or will it not matter since i still have all the credits i need to graduate if that makes sense
Old 04-14-2010 at 07:53 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I don't think it makes much of a difference. Taking a class in the summer has the same effects as taking a course in the fall, and the game goes for failing one.

It'll affect your transcript the way it should: a failure will result in a 0, and if it's required, you'll have to retake it before graduating.

From what I gather, the course you took in the summer has no impact on the course you may be failing now. After four years, I believe the Registrar knows when you took each course, but I don't think they take it into consideration when handing out diplomas unless you failed enough courses to bring your average below whatever you need to stay in y our program.
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:07 PM   #3
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

If you're a credit ahead and failed a class, now you're at par it seems haha. If it's necessary, you'll have to retake it (i.e., if it's a required course or a prerequisite to a course you plan to take). You'll get a 0, of course, but as long as your average is high enough to stay in your program even with the failed course and it's not required, you're alright.
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:08 PM   #4
Ruggedman

Where can i find what marks i need to stay in my program? Anyone know?
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:09 PM   #5
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

It'll be on the undergraduate calendar online. If you select your program, it'll tell you what you need to stay in it.
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:13 PM   #6
Ruggedman

Iv checked there, it only gives me requirements on what students need to get after first year...after that it lists required courses, number of units needed etc however it does not state a specific mark or GPA to attain
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:28 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

It's in there, not in the same section as your program though. Somewhere near the front I believe.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement