MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Summer School Class RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2010 05:54 PM
Does the first summer school class run the whole length? goldfish101 Academics 1 05-02-2010 02:16 PM
Summer School/Failed Class Ruggedman Academics 6 04-15-2010 12:28 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Total Cost For 1 Summer School Course? Class available after 4pm?

Old 03-25-2010 at 09:45 PM   #1
ashleychin

Liked: 0 Times

Total Cost For 1 Summer School Course? Class available after 4pm?
I'm deciding whether I should work in Hamilton or back home for the summer. Here are the factors that are going to help me decide:

1. How much it would cost in total (as in the tuition, service charge, etc) to take one summer school course at McMaster?

2. Summer school is divided into May-June and July-August, right? So, I can take 1/2 in each of those?

3. Let's say if I take something like chemistry, would I be able to do the core lectures, tutorials and labs all after 4pm?

Thanks in advance! =D
Old 03-25-2010 at 10:57 PM   #2
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,
The tuition depends on the course, but it's usually around $500.
You can take max of 2 courses each summer term. You can take 1, but you should know that taking 1 course course will make you ineligible to apply for OSAP for summer
The schedule for the summer school courses has been posted: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/index.php
so it depends on when the course you want to take is offered
Hope that helps
Old 03-25-2010 at 11:33 PM   #3
ashleychin

Thank you Talha! Talha (or any1 else), would you also happen to know that if I could take a biochem course even thought I'm only in 1st year life science right now?

I wouldn't know which major I get accepted into until marks are out, like in mid-May, and the 1st round of summer school has already started. Or, am I limited to general courses like organic chem?
Old 03-25-2010 at 11:36 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I don't know where people keep getting 500 from, the bill I got after I signed up for one course was 635.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-25-2010 at 11:47 PM   #5
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I don't know where people keep getting 500 from, the bill I got after I signed up for one course was 635.
Totally agree, each one of my courses was $625.
Old 03-25-2010 at 11:51 PM   #6
ashleychin

So it's $625 flat? No other service charges, club fees, etc (our sept-april tuition seems to have a lot of other costs)?

And, are the cafeterias all open? (like student center, common and kyes)
Old 03-25-2010 at 11:54 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

It was 635ish for me after the supplementary fees. But it was only around 40 bucks IIRC.

Old 03-25-2010 at 11:54 PM   #8
AlchemistX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleychin View Post
So it's $625 flat? No other service charges, club fees, etc (our sept-april tuition seems to have a lot of other costs)?

And, are the cafeterias all open? (like student center, common and kyes)
The $625 includes supplementary fess which total $32.13
Old 03-26-2010 at 12:08 AM   #9
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I imagine the cost varies from course to course, or faculty to faculty.

I signed up for 2 courses, and with all the fees included, it totaled $1050, or $525 per course, for a soc sci and a humanities course.

EDIT: I guess it's also possible that the more courses you take, the less it costs per course. Idk though. Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2010 at 12:13 AM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

or maybe because you're in a joke program.

;D

olololololololol.

Old 03-26-2010 at 12:16 AM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
or maybe because you're in a joke program.

;D

olololololololol.
we'll see who's laughing when it comes time to pay tuition ;D
Old 03-26-2010 at 12:19 AM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I imagine the cost varies from course to course, or faculty to faculty.

I signed up for 2 courses, and with all the fees included, it totaled $1050, or $525 per course, for a soc sci and a humanities course.

EDIT: I guess it's also possible that the more courses you take, the less it costs per course. Idk though. Just a thought.
Mine comes out to around 2,600 for five courses, works out to about the same as yours.

Two lab sciences, a math, and two humanities. Go figure.
Old 03-26-2010 at 12:44 AM   #13
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Aren't Commerce courses usually the most expensive?
Old 03-26-2010 at 02:06 AM   #14
AlchemistX

The two courses i signed up for are economics and sociology and each one was $625. They cost just as much as my commerce courses. Now im confused.
Old 03-26-2010 at 04:13 AM   #15
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

In addition to the number of units a course is worth, a course's cost is determined by your faculty and level, not the faculty the courses are run by. (Also your Visa status.)

The base price per unit for each course is here.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2013.html

This makes Engineering excessively expensive (alliteration!), since we're paying way more than other students while taking the same courses. Couple this with the fact that we take on average two more courses (or 6~8 units) more per year than students in other faculties and the high dropout rate, and I have a feeling we're the reason McMaster's not completely bankrupt. =\

...This also means that non-Engineers can take Engineering courses at a discount, but let's not kid ourselves here. =p

As for the supplementary fees, they're determined by the number of units you take too (sort of).

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2014.html

Fyi, the level you're considered in in the summer is the same level you finished in April, not the level you're entering. I probably could have phrased that better.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why Eng and Society students don't get the same discount Eng and Management students do? There's a $20/unit difference there, and in an average 37-unit year, that's an extra $740 we're paying. :(

Quote:
Thank you Talha! Talha (or any1 else), would you also happen to know that if I could take a biochem course even thought I'm only in 1st year life science right now?

I wouldn't know which major I get accepted into until marks are out, like in mid-May, and the 1st round of summer school has already started. Or, am I limited to general courses like organic chem?
You're limited by what course is offered in the summer. If the Master Timetable linked by Kira earlier says the course is offered, then you're free to take it assuming you meet the prereqs.

A quick look shows that the only Biochem course offered this summer has other second-year courses as prereqs, so unless you happen to hae those you're probably out of luck.

Last thing:

Quote:
2. Summer school is divided into May-June and July-August, right? So, I can take 1/2 in each of those?
Summer school terms typically run from May to mid-June, and mid-June to early August, so you'll have a few weeks to relax before the fall term starts. Not sure what you're referring to when you say 1/2 each though.

Last edited by Entropy : 03-26-2010 at 04:18 AM.