MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting kicked out Student1010 Academics 10 06-24-2014 05:12 PM
Needs Stats 2nd semester, Offering 1st semester science4ever Academics 0 09-06-2011 08:04 PM
will i be kicked out? manap3000 Academics 10 04-30-2010 07:20 PM
Will I get kicked out? don.999 Academics 11 09-02-2009 06:20 AM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM

Can you get kicked out after first semester?

Old 12-16-2016 at 06:07 PM   #1
mac1998

Liked: 0 Times

Can you get kicked out after first semester?
I haven't performed my best at all and I'm most likely going to fail three out of five courses, can anyone tell me if I get kicked if my GPA ends up being below 3.0 after first semester, or is there any sort of wake up call, please answer ASAP please
Old 12-16-2016 at 10:50 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

The GPA that determines whether you get kicked out or not is calculated using the marks from September to April. So you still have a whole semester to redeem yourself.
Old 12-16-2016 at 11:18 PM   #3
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

My understanding is that they'll review your grades at the end of the year and If you're below a certain GPA (check the one for your program) you'll be put on academic probation for the following year. If at the end of your second year, you're still below the minimum GPA then, yes, you'll get kicked out and have to apply for reinstatement (which I'm told is a VERY lengthy, stressful, and complicated procedure).

My advice would be to maybe not take a full course load in second semester (3-4 courses) and focus on pulling up your average. Then take the 1-2 courses you need in the summer. This requires a bit of planning to make sure that the courses you drop are offered in the summer and that you discipline yourself enough to use the less stressful course load to pull up your GPA.

As always, you should go talk to an academic advisor before you do anything.