MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am scared I will be kicked out HELP PLEASE scrapsy Academics 11 11-25-2010 06:55 PM
wrongfully kicked out? doesitmatter Academics 2 09-22-2010 10:28 PM
will i be kicked out? manap3000 Academics 10 04-30-2010 07:20 PM
Will I get kicked out? don.999 Academics 11 09-02-2009 06:20 AM
Am I Going to Get Kicked Out of Mac?? please help hablagen Academics 34 05-30-2009 05:15 PM

Getting kicked out

Old 05-28-2014 at 01:14 AM   #1
Student1010

Liked: 0 Times

Getting kicked out
So my grade report says that it is unlikely I will be able to continue at the University after my deferred exam. I am also taking two summer school classes right now will those marks be considered when they are deciding to kick me out or not? Wont the deferred exam mark and the marks for the summer school classes come in at the same time?
Old 05-28-2014 at 11:35 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

The deferred exam will be considered, but your summer school marks won't. Academic review won't occur again until you've completed 18 units, and it only happens in May and August. It sounds like you'll be looking to apply for reinstatement if your average comes back below 3.0 with your deferred exam.

That said, your summer grades can have an impact on the reinstatement committee because they are the quickest and easiest way of showing your improvement. My advice would be to study hard and KILL these summer courses and then write a convincing letter to the reinstatement committee. PM me if you'd like help with the process.

Good luck!

Student1010 likes this.
Old 05-29-2014 at 01:10 PM   #3
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Like kudos said they won't be reviewed in that decision because you only get reviewed after 18 units. However... also like kudos said, if you do get kicked out and are applying to be reinstated those summer courses will be a big factor in the reinstatement decision. If you do get kicked out try not to let it get to you. The pros are that your average will reset, and you'll get to start fresh if you get reinstated. If you do really well in your summer classes and you have a good reason for why you did poorly then it is likely you will be reinstated, even as early as for this fall term. Good luck!

Student1010 likes this.
Old 06-20-2014 at 10:28 AM   #4
Student0639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
The deferred exam will be considered, but your summer school marks won't. Academic review won't occur again until you've completed 18 units, and it only happens in May and August. It sounds like you'll be looking to apply for reinstatement if your average comes back below 3.0 with your deferred exam.

That said, your summer grades can have an impact on the reinstatement committee because they are the quickest and easiest way of showing your improvement. My advice would be to study hard and KILL these summer courses and then write a convincing letter to the reinstatement committee. PM me if you'd like help with the process.

Good luck!
Hi! This information was really helpful, but I was wondering if you can still apply for reinstatement half way into the summer?
I am currently taking summer courses in order to bring my gap back to a 3.0
at least, however, I am not able to access my summer course listings on solar anymore. I took 3 courses and calculated that I could get back to a 3.0. However, my mugs I timetable also shows that they have taken off my course for the 2nd term. I've already paid for it, the only reason they would take it off is because it is a course that had a requisite. But since I cannot access solar, I cannot exchange my 2nd year course for another. What do I do? Does that mean that I don't get a refund I they cut off my course? That was my last chance to boost my average.
Old 06-20-2014 at 01:31 PM   #5
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

I know with limited enrollment program applications, you can apply to have your grades reviewed after summer. I'm not sure if that is also true regarding reinstatement, but it's worth asking.
Old 06-20-2014 at 05:31 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student0639 View Post
Hi! This information was really helpful, but I was wondering if you can still apply for reinstatement half way into the summer?
I am currently taking summer courses in order to bring my gap back to a 3.0
at least, however, I am not able to access my summer course listings on solar anymore. I took 3 courses and calculated that I could get back to a 3.0. However, my mugs I timetable also shows that they have taken off my course for the 2nd term. I've already paid for it, the only reason they would take it off is because it is a course that had a requisite. But since I cannot access solar, I cannot exchange my 2nd year course for another. What do I do? Does that mean that I don't get a refund I they cut off my course? That was my last chance to boost my average.
The deadline for reinstatement for Sept. 2014 is June 30.

When you are kicked out for an average below 3.0, you are no longer allowed to take any classes (including summer classes). You were allowed to finish your first term classes because you'd have been a good ways into them by the time your academic review was completed, but you're automatically withdrawn from your second term class(es).

You will get a refund for what you paid once all your finances with the university are settled.

You can (and should) apply for reinstatement by June 30th if your summer school grades were strong - they're the quickest means of showing improvement. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2014 at 10:58 AM   #7
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1010 View Post
So my grade report says that it is unlikely I will be able to continue at the University after my deferred exam. I am also taking two summer school classes right now will those marks be considered when they are deciding to kick me out or not? Wont the deferred exam mark and the marks for the summer school classes come in at the same time?
Your summer school marks will not be included in your final average. Deferred exam will be included because it is apart of your normal school year.

Reinstatement is due on June 30th.

I have done reinstatement; rejected first time and accepted the second time.
Old 06-23-2014 at 05:30 PM   #8
comik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_kumar View Post
Your summer school marks will not be included in your final average. Deferred exam will be included because it is apart of your normal school year.

Reinstatement is due on June 30th.

I have done reinstatement; rejected first time and accepted the second time.
May I ask you a question sir, why would school reject reinstatement request? Can you tell me more details because I am writting aa reinstatement letter too.
Old 06-23-2014 at 06:16 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by comik View Post
May I ask you a question sir, why would school reject reinstatement request? Can you tell me more details because I am writting aa reinstatement letter too.
They reject if you have not given them a good enough reason as to why you should be reinstated, and why you could succeed despite having failed out previously.

For example, partying a lot and just generally slacking off is not typically grounds for reinstatement. Also, if you can't point to the reason(s) why you did badly, that also won't help you much with reinstatement - if you don't know what went wrong, how can you fix it or prevent it from happening again?

Even if you had a health condition or something, that's a legit reason for doing poorly, but they also want to know that it's under control so that it doesn't cause you to fail out again.

I think someone on MI said previously that reinstatement isn't about giving a second chance, it's about being fair to people who never really even had a first chance.
Old 06-23-2014 at 06:58 PM   #10
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by comik View Post
The worst thing I did was get a 3 in summer school math and expect I was going to get back into school. But that year did justice for me. I realized my mistakes and going to college eased me back into the university life after having a very rocky first year.
Old 06-24-2014 at 05:12 PM   #11
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I think someone on MI said previously that reinstatement isn't about giving a second chance, it's about being fair to people who never really even had a first chance.
Yes and no. When improvement has been shown, it's very much about second chances. If you pull off great marks in summer school or over a year off, you can definitely get reinstated with no real reasons for doing poorly. They understand that sometimes maturity is all that's needed.