MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed a course. Retake? XannabelleX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-13-2011 09:40 PM
I need to retake a class but its full? Theexe1 Academics 2 08-19-2010 11:18 AM
Physics 1b03 lab exemptions for retake cellphone Academics 3 05-04-2010 01:58 PM
Your mark after you retake a class? monique Academics 10 11-13-2009 08:40 PM

Can you retake engineering one?

Old 06-01-2012 at 02:09 PM   #1
2drumit

Liked: 0 Times

Can you retake engineering one?
I passed first year with a 4.0 but i failed 2 courses (calc :( )

should i take the summer school and most likely lose a chance at getting into my stream i want?

I have heard that you can retake the full year again if you have failed a course but have passed the year.

and i thought being AT school was frustrating lol.
Old 06-01-2012 at 02:13 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If you failed calculus then I would suggest seriously considering a FACULTY change.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Freija likes this.
Old 06-01-2012 at 02:18 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

If you passed first year engineering with a 4.0 then you can move on to second year engineering even if you failed/dropped 4 courses (because you can take them in the summer).
The only problem here is that if you had a free choice and wanted to get into something that requires more than a 4 (like civil and mechanical). If you fail one course you lose that free choice :/

So...
1. If you don't have a free choice and already got into the program that you want to, then you can move on to second year provided you finish the summer school courses (the 2 calc courses) and pass them.
2. If you had a free choice, unfortunately you will lose it and can't go into your preferred choice (if its something like civil or mechanical).

I am not sure if you can retake first year engineering, you have to talk to Sally Williams about that.
Old 06-01-2012 at 02:24 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
If you failed calculus then I would suggest seriously considering a FACULTY change.
Not necessarily, I know people who failed first year calc and passed engineering. You will definitely struggle in your undergrad, but you don't have to change majors.
If the OP takes the 2 courses in the summer, works hard on them and understands the material, then I don't see why he would struggle or even change majors ! Plenty of people fail first year calculus.

Last edited by jim1 : 06-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.

jon.john23, Zebedee like this.
Old 06-01-2012 at 03:03 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Not necessarily, I know people who failed first year calc and passed engineering. You will definitely struggle in your undergrad, but you don't have to change majors.
If the OP takes the 2 courses in the summer, works hard on them and understands the material, then I don't see why he would struggle or even change majors ! Plenty of people fail first year calculus.
Plenty of people also don't become engineers.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-01-2012 at 04:29 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

He can't go into second year yet. Second year requires you to pass ALL first year courses. You should retake them during the summer to avoid waiting a year
Old 06-03-2012 at 02:13 PM   #7
Otoshigami

Liked: Liked 4 Times

I asked Sally Williams precisely this question about a week ago. She told that if you've achieved the minimum required 4.0 average, then there's no way you can redo 1st year because she'd be forced to put you into a 2nd year program anyway since you have the required average (and provided that you finish those calculus courses in summer school first).

As far as I know, the only way to be able to redo 1st year completely would be to have gotten lower than 4.0 (being ineligible to continue in engineering) and then applying for reinstatement into the program.
Old 06-03-2012 at 03:07 PM   #8
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoshigami View Post
I asked Sally Williams precisely this question about a week ago. She told that if you've achieved the minimum required 4.0 average, then there's no way you can redo 1st year because she'd be forced to put you into a 2nd year program anyway since you have the required average (and provided that you finish those calculus courses in summer school first).

As far as I know, the only way to be able to redo 1st year completely would be to have gotten lower than 4.0 (being ineligible to continue in engineering) and then applying for reinstatement into the program.
I think what's not clear then is if he doesn't complete the calculus courses in summer school, will he then repeat Engineering I?
Old 06-03-2012 at 03:24 PM   #9
bsamartin

Liked: 3 Times

Failed Calculus != Bad Engineering Student
Don't worry. For the most part I found the math Profs at Mac to be the worst (Child was the exception). You could take the calculus courses elsewhere. Athabasca and Ryerson offers some Math courses that are already pre-approved by mcmaster. Check the following link

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/current/lop.html

Remember, if you do retake these courses at Mac over the summer it will be easier the second time. You will be familiar with the material and there will be more motivation to pass (mark >=1 && C.A >=4 and your in level 2!). Also, I just finished Electrical Engineering and I can tell you from experience in upper year classes when calculus is used it's easy (usually straight forward derivatives or integration with practical applications; there were no crazy trig substitutions or anything like that ).

You'll be fine/ best of luck

P.S you still need to get through your 2nd year maths, so you should really think about taking them next summer as this will reduce your work load for next year.
Old 06-03-2012 at 05:34 PM   #10
Jasonn

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Can you take a calculus course at Ryerson during one of your terms? If you think that you will get a math prof that you won't be able to understand too well (due to broken accent, etc), do you have the option?
Old 06-03-2012 at 06:45 PM   #11
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn View Post
Can you take a calculus course at Ryerson during one of your terms? If you think that you will get a math prof that you won't be able to understand too well (due to broken accent, etc), do you have the option?
Don't take a math course at another university if you think that you might get a bad prof because you might end up with an even worse prof at that university !
To be honest, going to math is useless, you can simply study on your own and do well in it. A lot of people skip math, study on their own and end up doing well ! I only had 1 friend that actually preferred going to math class (because when he tried skipping he got destroyed!).

My advise would be:
1. Read the book.
2. Do all of your homework.
3. Go to the math help centre in the basement of Hamilton Hall (HH) if you ever need help.
4. Do the sample tests provided.
5. You can always go to your prof if you need extra help.

Note: Go to class the first couple of weeks, if you see that you actually understand what the prof is saying then you can continue going ! Also, if you have a good prof like Dr.Childs or Dr.McLean then go to class !
Skipping class is totally up to you ! Good luck

Jasonn says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 06-03-2012 at 07:01 PM   #12
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

I know a few people who stopped going to the lectures due to bad profs, and nothing happened, they still passed.

This is university, you are expected to do a lot of self study.
Old 06-04-2012 at 08:25 PM   #13
2drumit

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I think what's not clear then is if he doesn't complete the calculus courses in summer school, will he then repeat Engineering I?
this is what i was trying to ask in the first place, thanks. Ive been studying calc alot and i know i could get a good mark but it wont help be in getting into a stream. I'll have to talk to sally about it.
Old 06-06-2012 at 01:08 PM   #14
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I agree with one of the first posters on here, if you failed both calculus courses first year, you should definitely consider the option of switching faculties. speaking from experience, first year math heiled in comparison to the difficulty level of the second year courses. If you cant pass first year calc, i dont see how you will ever stand a chance in gabardos classes second year. just my opinion tho speaking from the experience of suffering through them already