MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dr. Dej on maternity leave? SandraM Academics 8 07-30-2010 03:25 PM
Do you have to leave rez during reading week? swimmerman22 Residence & Housing 24 02-09-2010 09:32 PM
Hsr B-line Express To Leave Mac Chad ARCHIVES 73 02-02-2009 07:09 PM
How much would it cost to replace dorm's door? raine General Discussion 4 01-09-2009 11:17 PM
Are you allowed to leave campus during your breaks? Arnold General Discussion 2 09-04-2008 12:21 AM

I can't leave my door open b'c it's fireproof 8-)

Old 09-25-2010 at 08:25 PM   #1
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I can't leave my door open b'c it's fireproof 8-)
Can't Leave Door Open B'c It's "FireProof"
Hey guys I have the most random Q.
The policy about not leaving our doors open is pretty crappy. It's an awesome way to meet people on my floor(lol yeh I'm still meeting the people I live with)! Anyway the CAs (who are super awesome) said we can't leave the door open b'c they are fireproof and if there was a fire it would take 3+ hrs to burn through the door and into the room or vice versa. The door's made of WOOD for crying out loud!!!!

I mean really, that just makes no sense or I just don't get this logic. Anyone care to explain?

The room needs fresh air and to boot the stupid window doesn't even open more than a 20 deg angle!!!

>.<

Someone please explain why?!?!??!??!

Thanks
-Ish
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:31 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well I don't know about it being fireproof, but it is a "fire hazard" to keep them open.

Nobody thinks fires will happen, but look at Brandon. ;D they actually have a good reason to be cautious.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

AelyaS, Afzal, doug like this.
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:35 PM   #3
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post

Someone please explain why?!?!??!??!

Thanks
-Ish
The fire at Brandon hall would seem like a very good reason to keep your door closed - Plus, being burnt to death isn't the way to go...
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:36 PM   #4
Ish001

Fire @ Brandon Hall? Huh?
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:40 PM   #5
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Fire @ Brandon Hall? Huh?
Back in 2008, some kid in Brandon Hall thought it would be funny to light some crap on fire in the elevator. He did it and than Brandon Hall caught on fire and for the rest of the year the students who lived in the damaged halls had to stay in hotels, etc, on Mac's dime I believe too.
I believe he is in jail as well too.
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:50 PM   #6
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Back in 2008, some kid in Brandon Hall thought it would be funny to light some crap on fire in the elevator. He did it and than Brandon Hall caught on fire and for the rest of the year the students who lived in the damaged halls had to stay in hotels, etc, on Mac's dime I believe too.
I believe he is in jail as well too.
I also believe he has a sister at Carelton who comepletely denies that shes related to him.

amyshi likes this.
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:53 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I also believe he has a sister at Carelton who comepletely denies that shes related to him.

I would too. Forget the fact that he's retarded, he could have killed people.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-25-2010 at 09:26 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Yeah, after personally being in that fire I fully endorse the fireproof doors, our possessions were a little smoky when we retrieved them, but it's much better than having everything destroyed.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-25-2010 at 09:48 PM   #9
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

The window only opens like 2 inches 'cause some lady at another uni dropped her baby out the window....
Old 09-25-2010 at 09:51 PM   #10
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
I mean really, that just makes no sense or I just don't get this logic. Anyone care to explain?

The room needs fresh air and to boot the stupid window doesn't even open more than a 20 deg angle!!!
Fires need air to burn too. Remember when they had fire drills in elementary schools and they made sure the last person in the room had to close the door? That's why.

From what I understand, that's sort of how the Brandon fire started too. The guy lit the newspaper on fire in the elevator where it burned like normal, but when the elevator doors opened and all the air rushed in, a backdraft happened and things got messy.

And yeah, the door might be made of wood, but it's clear that if there was no door, your stuff would be burnt much faster a lot faster. Wood (especially thick wood) takes a lot longer to ignite than one might think, so it's not like the door's completely useless 'cause it's made of a flammable material.

Deegs14 says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 09-25-2010 at 11:14 PM   #11
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
we can't leave the door open b'c they are fireproof and if there was a fire it would take 3+ hrs to burn through the door and into the room or vice versa.
Without the door, fire has enough oxygen to grow and an opening from which it can spread into other rooms. That 3 hours could be enough time to evacuate building and extinguish the fire.

Fire safety is something everyone should be aware of. The way to handle hazards like grease fires are not so obvious. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it might be worth seeing this video:

camais says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 09-26-2010 at 09:22 AM   #12
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

The doors in residence are fire-resistant 'fire doors' (yes that's actually a term). They're designed to hold off the fire for an hour or two, which provides firefighters enough time to fight the fire. They're only effective when the doors are closed, which is why the no propping/closed doors policy is in effect. Ask the 2nd floor Brandon Hall students in 08/09 and they'll tell you that the fire doors are effective.

Old 09-26-2010 at 11:34 AM   #13
Ish001

Ok so i read all the stuff i could find online about the Brandon Hall fire and I'll admit it sounds like an awful experience. Being on res, I can't even imagine having to go through that :S
And yeh the door policy makes a lot more sense now
thanks guys =)

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 09:44 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

For the record the door policy was in place before the Brandon Hall fire. I was in first year in 07 a year before the fire and we had the same policy.
Old 09-26-2010 at 10:33 PM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's great that you actually took the time to learn and educate yourself about why that policy's there. CA's really appreciate this sort of student initiative and I'm sure yours' are very lucky.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences