MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Careers in Health Care e-norman Volunteering Opportunities 4 09-15-2010 06:33 PM
Previous Health Care Experience? AnnaWM Volunteering Opportunities 3 06-12-2010 05:15 PM
Career Advice You Can Use! Gabi101 MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-20-2009 08:32 AM
Obama's Health Care speech fullsmash26 General Discussion 4 07-24-2009 08:29 PM

Career in Health Care - advice?

Old 12-25-2009 at 09:22 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Career in Health Care - advice?
Hey guys,

I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, and now interested in pursuing a career in the health care sector.

I doubt that I would be able to get into medical school (due to my GPA). I was wondering what other options I have in health care/sciences (either master's or another undergraduate degree).

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009 at 09:27 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Masters in Biomedical Engineering?
Old 12-25-2009 at 09:45 PM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Masters in Biomedical Engineering?
I'm definitely staying away from anymore Engineering, due to the job prospects. I'm trying to get into a profession that's in high demand.
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:50 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You don't need to apply to med school right out of university.

If you are interested in medicine, volunteer at a hospital, as it will give you a bit of a feel for what the job is like (and I mean interacting with patients, not gift shop stuff). Also, take Health Studies classes to see if it is indeed what you like.

You may also want to consider Nursing of Physicians Assistant programs.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-26-2009 at 12:28 AM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Nursing is really high in demand, but I would volunteer at a hospital and see what it's like before going into it... same with other healthcare professions.

I would also recommend looking into pharmacy, dentistry, social work, speech-language pathology, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, dietetics, audiology, and optometry.

good luck! just remember, there are tons and tons of health professions out there! take a look around!

Last edited by davey : 12-26-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2009 at 10:34 AM   #6
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
Nursing is really high in demand, but I would volunteer at a hospital and see what it's like before going into it... same with other healthcare professions.

I would also recommend looking into pharmacy, dentistry, social work, speech-language pathology, respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, dietetics, audiology, and optometry.

good luck! just remember, there are tons and tons of health professions out there! take a look around!
Are post-grad programs really tough to get into? I would be willing to consider pharmacy and dentistry in post-grad, but it seems they require high marks and some work experience.
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:05 PM   #7
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

How about diagnostic/therapeutic services? McMaster has the Medical Radiation Sciences program.

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...medradsci.html
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:39 PM   #8
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
How about diagnostic/therapeutic services? McMaster has the Medical Radiation Sciences program.

http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...medradsci.html
Would I still begin in the 1st year of the 4 year program? I also do not have high school biology (or university biology for that matter).
Old 12-26-2009 at 12:40 PM   #9
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Here's a list of career pursuits that might give you some ideas.

http://www.bcjobs.ca/re/career-advic...jobs-in-canada

Keep in mind that trends always change. An excellent industry today might be not be so tomorrow, and degrees take a fair bit of time to complete.

Personally I would just follow what interests you rather than picking a career area as a strategic move. Do you genuinely have an interest in medicine and health care? What area?

I would take the advice above and go and work/gain exposure to these fields before you jump in.
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:11 PM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

can a life sci degree get you in as a biomedical engineer? and anyone know information on this field?
Old 12-26-2009 at 01:13 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Would I still begin in the 1st year of the 4 year program? I also do not have high school biology (or university biology for that matter).
Pardon my asking, but this is a bit of a unique circumstance...What made you consider health care? Is there a specific reason or motivation, or does it just seem like something you'd like?

Given that biology (and possibly chemistry) is such a fundamental aspect of health care, you'll likely find yourself starting out in first year, building up to a strong medical background...whether you'll have to register in courses or can simply do extra reading on your own time, I'm not sure...but learning biology from scratch is definitely something you'll have to live with unfortunately.
Old 12-26-2009 at 03:19 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Did you graduate from McMaster? If so, I strongly suggest going into Career Services once school starts in January and talk to someone.

I can't say enough about how helpful they are. Not only are they understanding and friendly, but they have information on just about everything you need to know (job search, schooling options, etc.) I think it would be best to talk to someone there. They know exactly what they're talking about and they are so helpful.
Old 12-26-2009 at 03:30 PM   #13
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
can a life sci degree get you in as a biomedical engineer? and anyone know information on this field?
It is possible. I believe the prereqs for at least McMaster and U of T's master's programs in biomedical engineering are fulfillable by life science students. In fact, because biomed eng is such an interdisciplinary field, they welcome both engineers and life/health science students as they both have much to contribute to the field.

McMaster BME: http://msbe.mcmaster.ca/graduate/entrance.html
U of T BME: http://www.ibbme.utoronto.ca /programs/graduate.htm
Old 12-26-2009 at 07:49 PM   #14
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Are post-grad programs really tough to get into? I would be willing to consider pharmacy and dentistry in post-grad, but it seems they require high marks and some work experience.
I haven't heard too much about dentistry, but I've heard that pharmacy isn't too-too tough to get into (you only need one year of uni + prereqs to apply to pharmacy at U of T and two years + prereqs for Waterloo). It really depends what you are intersted in and how hard you are willing to work towards it.