MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Plans

Old 08-13-2008 at 07:23 PM   #1
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Cell Phone Plans
Anyone out of Hamilton getting or has a cell phone plan? I talked to the guy at Virgin and the way cell phones work was confusing at first. But basically if I get a hamilton number I pay local for all incoming calls and calls I make in hamilton. But if I go back home, I have to pay long distance for incoming calls from anywhere.

Also, if I have people in myCrew, which like like my5 or You Fav 5, and I'm not in hamilton I still have to pay long distance even though it's unlimited long distance. Apparently it only works for calling long distance from the area the tower is located, in this case Hamilton. If I were to call someone in myCrew, it's long distance to the tower, and the long distance from the tower out... so I still have to pay long distance. Confusing? I could only respond "huh?" on the phone for several minutes.

So, I'm just curious what plans people not from Hamilton have. If there are any suggestions as to what plan I should go with, (It doesn't have to be with Virgin), that is also relatively cheap, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:32 PM   #2
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

oh man i know what you mean.. the fido people told me to get a couple plan with myself -_- and change my sim everytime i go to mississauga.. for the price of 85$.. for caller id on both sims nd everything..
pretty crappy plan if you ask me..
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:39 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, that's so confusing though... you have two different numbers >.< The guy told me I could do that but it's just stupid Lol. The plan I was talking about is 35, I can only use it in hamilton though.... unless I call people in toronto when I'm in toronto, but I basically can't receive any calls while I'm in toronto... useless.... It's 45 with caller id and voicemail 10.
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:45 PM   #4
pinkshuniza

yeah i know, its pretty crap too because .. knowing me, i'd loose my sim card somewhere lol...
i was thinking, how about getting an oakville number.. so .. if people from mississauga call you when ur in hamilton.. it won't cost you long distance when you are in mississauga, and the same goes to hamilton.. when you are in hamilton, it won't cost you long distance because I believe, oakville is a local number..
so either way, you'll receive incoming calls...

i'm not sure that would work .. but so far, that seems like the best idea...
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:45 PM   #5
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Student Plans/My Faves are the best way to go... though it sucks when you have to pay the long distance crap.

P.S -- I'm in Oakville and calling Hamilton is long distance, even though it's 905. E.g - my number is an Oakville one and my friend, who lives in Oakville with me, has a Hamilton number. Even when we're both in Oakville, it's long distance.

Freakin phone companies ripping everyone off

Last edited by samantha__ : 08-13-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:46 PM   #6
pinkshuniza

damn it.
what about burlington?

and my faves would suck though.. because its only 5 people..

correction: 10 people

Last edited by pinkshuniza : 08-13-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 at 07:55 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, myCrew for the student plan is also 10... It's actually 5 with an extra 5...
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:30 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

The MyFaves/MyCrew thing is fab if you REALLY stick to those 10/5/whatever people.. becuase if you're constantly calling someone thats outide of that list, ohhh boy, your phone bill piles up. During the school year, my phone bill was $40ish.. and now, cause I keep calling my bf's house (which isnt in MyFaves), my phone bill was $169 last month LOL. So keep tabs on your list... if theres someone on there that should be there, change the list right away!

Old 08-13-2008 at 08:31 PM   #9
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

yeah I am looking at a plan right now from Rogers that has 250 weekday min+500 overtime min, unlimited weekends, unlimited evenings from 9pm-7am, My5 Canada(unlimited text,talk(even if it is long distance), video and picture messaging) and without call display and voice messaging it comes to $47.54 with taxes and everything. What do you guys think of that, do you think I could get a better plan or is this the one i should go with. I live in Mississauga and plan to come home on most weekends.
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:50 PM   #10
pinkshuniza

ohhh
check out koodo you guys :O
https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/r...bos/index.html

Nationwide Talk & Text Combo
plus for 10 dollars extra.. unlimited incoming.. and esp with the "
No Long Distance Charges on All Calls Within Canada"... that seems like a sick deal
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:03 PM   #11
**jewel 03**

i looked into as well but I heard that Koodo is a branch of Telus and isn't that great. correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:22 PM   #12
samantha__
Elite Member

Watch out for Koodo... they're owned by Telus and let's just say.. Telus is a mofo. But theyre plans seem pretty chill. Just read the fine print guys

Old 08-13-2008 at 10:48 PM   #13
**jewel 03**

what do you guys think of the rogers plan i posted before?
Old 08-13-2008 at 11:32 PM   #14
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

coming from experience, T-Mobile is the best. Especially if you have more than one location you spend your time in.
Old 08-13-2008 at 11:37 PM   #15
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
what about burlington?
Burlington is local to Hamilton.

This won't affect any of you, but for landlines, in some places Hamilton isn't even local to Hamilton :p Like Toronto, we're an amalgamated city, and have been for years - but to call from one extreme end of it to another (Stoney Creek to Ancaster) it's still long distance, because that's the way it was pre-amalgamation and Bell refused to change it. Nice, eh?