MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Plans

Old 08-14-2008 at 11:09 AM   #31
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hmm here are the options:
http://www.solomobile.ca/Plans_Rates...n/Options.aspx

I can't seem to find unlimited incoming calls. The best they have is unlimited between 5-7.

I've heard that the first week on campus there will be cell phone companies selling plans. Does anyone know if they usually have any special student plans? Or do they mostly just sell their old plans?

Last edited by dragonfly : 08-14-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:12 AM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

And if they do sell student plans, are they any different from the ones they post on their websites?
Old 08-14-2008 at 11:52 AM   #33
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippi View Post
Sadly, T-Mobile doesn't exist in Canada. Whereabouts are you coming from?
They are coming in the auction in 2009, I am from Macedonia. If you are from the USA, T-Mobile is already there.
Old 08-14-2008 at 07:36 PM   #34
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

okay, so I went out to futureshop today to check out the phone plans, and from what I have been told... Koodo seems to be the best..
I suggest you get an oakville number.. if you are commuting back and forth to mississauga/toronto to hamilton because oakville to sauga is local.. and oakville to hamilton is local..
plus check this, their unlimited text messaging applies for international too!
that seems like a prettty sick deal to me..
all this in 45 dollars

Up to 100 minutes, up to 50 text messages, 7pm Evenings & Weekends
Unlimited Incoming Calls
Call Display, Voicemail and Unlimited Messaging (international text messagin included) (Text and Picture)
Old 08-15-2008 at 12:40 AM   #35
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
I suggest you get an oakville number.. if you are commuting back and forth to mississauga/toronto to hamilton because oakville to sauga is local.. and oakville to hamilton is local..
That is likely true, but there's one little thing you need to confirm - with an Oakville number, is Hamilton to Mississauga local? (Man, this reminds me of Critical Thinking class...if A=B, and B=C...)

Think about it: Oakville is between Hamilton and Mississauga, so if you are physically in Oakville, it makes sense that it could be local to call the cities to either side of you. But, if you're in Hamilton, you have to call across Oakville to reach Mississauga, which could be long distance. It doesn't just matter where your phone is registered, it also matters where you physically are and how far away you are from where you're calling.

I'm not saying it's not local - I honestly don't know. I'm just saying it may be a bad assumption to make, and you may want to confirm before signing up.

Last edited by Cippi : 08-15-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2008 at 12:49 AM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I'm not too sure about that either, but I will inquire soon with phone companies and I'll post an answer when I get one. I'll probably call sometime tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2008 at 12:52 AM   #37
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

with an oakville number, it is NOT local from hamilton to mississauga. but INCOMING calls from mississauga ARE local. just not outgoing. i confirmed this the past few times i visited mac and had my oakville numbered cell with me
Old 08-15-2008 at 08:08 AM   #38
**jewel 03**

is it true that cell phone companies come to MAC the first week of school and advertise their plans and possibly give good plans/promotions?
Old 08-15-2008 at 08:49 PM   #39
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Ehh.. I only remember bell being there. But don't count on all of them lol. And their "good plans/promos" are the stuff out right now -- Students Plans/My Faves Plans. Alot of companies are doing their good promotions now before everyone goes to school. They will expire in September though..

Old 08-15-2008 at 09:57 PM   #40
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Ehh.. I only remember bell being there. But don't count on all of them lol. And their "good plans/promos" are the stuff out right now -- Students Plans/My Faves Plans. Alot of companies are doing their good promotions now before everyone goes to school. They will expire in September though..
is the plan I posted a couple of posts ago from Rogers seem good to you, I was thinking of getting that but then thought I would wait it out to see if someone comes to MAC, what do you think of the plan by rogers?
Old 08-17-2008 at 04:27 PM   #41
tristic

Liked: 0 Times

I've been with Bell for the last three years, never had any problems with it. I heard from a lot of people that it's the worst company to be with, but to be honest, I like them just fine. I just got a new plan called Fab Ten 35, which is unlimited long distance, incoming/outgoing calls and text messages to ten people. I think it'll be very useful, and with all the utilities, I'm paying less than 50$ a month. I used to pay around 30$ a month on their other plan (can't remember which one), but I had no texting plan or anything like that. Still, so far I think I have a good plan. Also, because I was a customer before, I had credits enough to buy myself a new phone, the LG Rumour. It's a great phone, and was highly reccomended by everyone I've spoken to.

If you'd rather not get a Bell plan, I'm not advocating it. It just doesn't get the credit it deserves, according to a lot of other people. And I've been to Rogers to talk to them about their plans... They have a similar one to bell for over 65$ a month +... I didn't ask any more from them.
Old 08-17-2008 at 06:43 PM   #42
**jewel 03**

I looked into and I think it is pretty good, how is the reception and everything? Have you tried it out in Hamilton tristic?

Last edited by anitaa : 08-17-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2008 at 07:11 PM   #43
**jewel 03**

I have also found another plan this one with Virgin Mobile, it seems pretty good. http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/la..._offers .html anyone with VM that can tell me how they like it?
Old 08-17-2008 at 10:19 PM   #44
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Virgin Mobile uses the Bell network, so its coverage will be the same. I used VM when I was living in London and for awhile when I moved back to Hamilton, and I liked it. They actually have helpful customer service people answering when you call, unlike Bell. I used Bell when I was at Mac, and service on campus was pretty good. There are some buildings/areas that cell phones just don't work well in, but that would apply to any carrier (like the Arts Quad basement). Each carrier probably has their own "dead zones" around campus, but overall coverage is pretty good.
Old 08-18-2008 at 09:01 AM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I really like VM's customer service. Most people that pick up the phone are energetic and friendly. At least 4/5 when I called anyways.