MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Plans

Old 08-26-2008 at 10:18 AM   #61
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

What is the average that a student talks per day on a cellphone?
Old 08-26-2008 at 12:30 PM   #62
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Okay MacEng, I just checked the site a little. And the bad thing is you get charged for incoming text messages. I think that's just stupid. It's in the FAQs.
But up to you, I haven't really checked the whole thing yet.

MacEng says thanks to aya017 for this post.
Old 08-26-2008 at 01:02 PM   #63
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Both Bell and Telus now charge for incoming texts as well. Rogers hasn't done this yet, but I wouldn't count on that lasting for long.

MacEng, there's no single answer to that question - I have friends who literally blab all day on theirs when they're not in class, whereas I might get or make 1 or 2 calls a day that last only a couple of minutes each. It all depends on you and your social habits, basically.
Old 08-26-2008 at 01:56 PM   #64
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Yes... Bell and Telus have the incoming text message fee added. Kind of sad b/c I use text message mainly on my prepaid phone (compared to using up my funds on talking) and some people I message are charged the 15 cents per message I send them =/ ... and yes, I'm on Bell (bad reception in most buildings at Mac, but the prepaid plan itself isn't that bad)

I agree with Cippi... everyone uses their phones differently. Some talk quite a lot and rely on plans with free incoming calls... while others talk very little and go with a prepaid plan. There are also plans out there for those who text message a lot too! ... so it varies =S

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 08-26-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2008 at 06:26 PM   #65
MacEng

Hey I read all the comments and I decided this plan would be the best for me:

Bell RBC friends and family plan

250 anytime minutes
Message centre included
Free evenings from 6:00 pm - 8:00 am
Free weekends
Caller display
Call forwarding
Call waiting
System access fee & 911 fee waived
Unlimited outgoing and incoming text messages
Unlimited long distance in Canada and US
Additional per minute rate: $0.20

$27.50 + tax
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:29 PM   #66
ria89

Liked: 0 Times

i loveeee my plan its from bell...offered last yr for like 3 months so noone really noticed it properly ...it has unlim texting, unlim even n weekends (5pm-8am), 250 day time, 150 long dis in canada, caller id, conf calling, voice mail, AND NO system acess fee......and its all 30$ a month with taxesss
Old 08-30-2008 at 11:44 PM   #67
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ria89 View Post
i loveeee my plan its from bell...offered last yr for like 3 months so noone really noticed it properly ...it has unlim texting, unlim even n weekends (5pm-8am), 250 day time, 150 long dis in canada, caller id, conf calling, voice mail, AND NO system acess fee......and its all 30$ a month with taxesss
hey what is your plan called?

we almost got the same thing
Old 08-31-2008 at 09:15 PM   #68
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

So Telus has offered to let me have whatever smartphone I want at the 3-year price (or any price really). I'm just wondering... does anyone know how often these companies add/change their phone selection? Cause this offer expires in November and I'm kinda thinking, why not wait and see?

Also, does anyone know what companies come during the Sidewalk Sale?

Old 08-31-2008 at 09:58 PM   #69
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

I just stick with a prepaid plan but I may consider a contract if I find I'm calling more often than usual. For anyone who's looking, Solo's got a real affordable $15 plan right now, plus they bill by-the-second instead of by-the-minute:

http://www.solomobile.ca/Plans_Rates...lan/Rates.aspx
Old 09-08-2008 at 01:14 AM   #70
Ken Torry

I used VirginMobile. They had a terrible coverage. On their web site, they didn't let me remove my CC information. Then, switched Rogers with unlimited incoming call plan at $30/month and 5c/min North America from www.text2talk.ca. My monthly bill is about 40-50 dollars (max) as opposed to 100 dollars before. Huge savings. I am quite happy with it.

-Ken
Old 09-08-2008 at 09:57 AM   #71
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Torry View Post
I used VirginMobile. They had a terrible coverage. On their web site, they didn't let me remove my CC information. Then, switched Rogers with unlimited incoming call plan at $30/month and 5c/min North America from www.text2talk.ca. My monthly bill is about 40-50 dollars (max) as opposed to 100 dollars before. Huge savings. I am quite happy with it.

-Ken
Virgin rides on Bell's network, which doesn't get a great signal when I'm at home, but their prepaid plans aren't very expensive so that's why I just stick with them. Were you on their contract plans?
Old 09-08-2008 at 11:37 AM   #72
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
Hey I read all the comments and I decided this plan would be the best for me:

Bell RBC friends and family plan

250 anytime minutes
Message centre included
Free evenings from 6:00 pm - 8:00 am
Free weekends
Caller display
Call forwarding
Call waiting
System access fee & 911 fee waived
Unlimited outgoing and incoming text messages
Unlimited long distance in Canada and US
Additional per minute rate: $0.20

$27.50 + tax
theres no way that plan exists for that price, link me please.
Old 09-08-2008 at 12:02 PM   #73
Ken Torry

Originally Posted by Ken Torry

-Ken

Virgin rides on Bell's network, which doesn't get a great signal when I'm at home, but their prepaid plans aren't very expensive so that's why I just stick with them. Were you on their contract plans?

---

Well, as you also agree about their weak signal, it really does not matter how cheap or expensive they are. You must have a coverage when you need it.
I was in Boston once, and I was not able to talk even through roaming. I phoned them up. They said I should get another cell phone/number valid for US. Just outrages.
Old 09-08-2008 at 01:00 PM   #74
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
theres no way that plan exists for that price, link me please.
yeah me too please need to check this out!
Old 09-08-2008 at 02:00 PM   #75
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I don't think it's an actual plan. But if you are good at bargaining just call customer care/service. I believe it'll only work if you are a long time customer. Just tell them you are unsatisfied. It might take some time and maybe even a second try but you can get great deals. My mom got one for my brother (I'm just on prepaid because I don't use my phone lots).

Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 7
250 anytime minutes
1000 long distance to Canada and US (only when in Canada though o.O)
Caller ID
Voicemail
No SA or 911 fee
I believe he also has unlimited local incoming
It also came with a free LG shine, I think he got the LG last year.

He's with Rogers, 27$

So if you are a long time customer, you can definitively get a deal. You just have to bargain with them.