MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Bill niteskie General Discussion 15 09-09-2009 07:27 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Cell Phone Provider Service

Old 04-10-2010 at 09:57 AM   #1
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Cell Phone Provider Service
Hey guys,

I've looked around the MI site, but I couldn't really find a lot of info..
I was wondering about the service of the cell phone providers around Mac. Could anyone post a review of some sort?
I'm looking at Bell and Virgin (apparently the same towers, so the same coverage, right?) coz I like their prepaid plans best. And Rogers too, but the plan I want there is $5 more lol. Not much, but it'll add up in the long run.

(: Thanks! (and happy studying for exams haha)
Old 04-10-2010 at 10:18 AM   #2
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

If you like prepaid, then virgin is the way to go...they've been voted the best prepaid service something like three years in a row.
Old 04-10-2010 at 11:02 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I would suggest prepaid for the time being, wireless communication in Canada is changing. For the longest time it's only been 3 companies that have been "competing" with each other. But I believe new companies are allowed to start providing service through the towers currently built. That's why Wind mobile now exists and rates have been going down. I think wind mobile does 25cents per minute, still ridiculously expensive when compared to the states but getting there.
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:17 PM   #4
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

And here is my opinion on the matter:

Bell:
Just stay away, their business practises are deadly.

Rogers:
Pros
- well known
- good phones
Cons
- long term contracts
- not always the cheapest

Telus:
Pros
- Reasonable coverage
- good deals for long time customers
- has nice phones
Cons
- Phone replacements are full price
- warranties are weak
- usually a 2-3 year contract

Fido:
- Don't really know, haven't heard the best things.

Virgin:
I started with Virgin.
Pros:
- good pay as you go service
- reasonable selection of phones
- no contract (may have changed these days?? Still, not for payasyougo)
- good prices
- reasonable coverage
Cons:
- Not a great long distance plan (reason I switched)

Koodo:
My current company
Pros
- Great long distance plans
- Great prices for plans
- No (real) contract (phones can be subsidized when you buy them, that cost is payed off at 10% of your monthly bill, works out nicely to 3 years at full price for $150 off)
Cons
- small selection of phones
- texts are *sometimes* delayed (problem with Telus network)

Each Companies Strength:
Bell - Monopoly
Rogers - Coverage
Fido - Rogers Coverage, cheaper cost
Telus - Good incentive programs
Koodo - Long Distance!!
Virgin - Pay-as-you-go

aya017, Kathy2 all say thanks to kldv for this post.

Katy, Richa like this.
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:48 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Rogers will always be slightly more expensive than everyone else, but their coverage is amazing.

Telus SUCKS. They are cheap but the coverage is horrible. Sometimes it takes up to a DAY to send a text message across campus. It's ridiculous. Their customer service is crap as well. Everytime I would add a $5 text messaging feature ("Messaging 250"), it would triple the price on my bill. When I called to fix it, it was only reduced to double the price. I had to call again to get it taken down to the actual price. This happened every month I added the feature, and I had to call twice every month to get it fixed. Do not go with Telus.

Have you looked into the new company, Wind Mobile?

lmasud likes this.
Old 04-10-2010 at 03:13 PM   #6
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I'm on Fido prepaid.

I put $20 a month on and add a 0.30 cent per day text-messaging pack, which lets me send 10 messages per day, after that you get debited the normal rate of $0.15 each. I don't talk a lot since I have a Toronto based phone number, and calling home in Hamilton would be long distance. Even after all that, I still barely use the full $20.

Local calls for $20 and up vouchers are $0.20 a minute, if you stick with $10 vouchers it's $0.30 a minute. There are also additional packages you can do for evenings/weekends or incoming calls and all that jazz.

ALSO, what really appeals to me if I had the money is the new CityFido PREPAID plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/F...o=prepaidPlans

Quote:
1,000 local minutes
Unlimited Text
Voicemail
Call Display
Call Waiting
$45-50 a month. The best part is, it looks like Hamilton and Toronto are in the same coverage zone, so no long distance?

Old 04-10-2010 at 05:38 PM   #7
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post

$45-50 a month.
For $50 a month, you can get an iPhone from Virgin
Old 04-10-2010 at 05:43 PM   #8
lmasud

DO NOT go with Telus...absolutely overpriced. I get 200 mins, 250 txts, 30 long distance mins, 6 pm calling for what ends up being around $44 a month. Originally, I expected it to around $30.

I even had to pay $200 one month cause I was on the phone with my friend for 40 mins from freakin Dundas...being in Dundas is considered long distance...WTF!!!

My suggestion: go with either Fido, Koodo, or Virgin. Yes, their coverage might not be as good as the big 3, but you can live with their coverage. Fido and Virign have some pretty solid phones. Virigin has Blackberries and iPhones for $50 a month, and Fido has some pretty nice phones like LG Neon, and you get unlimited texting and 7 pm calling for only $25 a month
Old 04-10-2010 at 06:15 PM   #9
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

I'm with Fido currently and it's never given me any problems whatsoever. Good coverage too, for me at least.

Fido also has the iphone as well.
Old 04-10-2010 at 07:02 PM   #10
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

are you asking about coverage on campus? If so, bell and it's companies under it have some poor service spots.
Old 04-10-2010 at 07:41 PM   #11
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
For $50 a month, you can get an iPhone from Virgin
Can you get the features as above and be able to talk Oshawa to Hamilton without long distance charges in a prepaid plan?

Last edited by temptingf8 : 04-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2010 at 09:07 PM   #12
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

(: Thanks for your input guys. But ya, like one poster mentioned.. One of the big things for me is the service/coverage on campus.

I looked at Wind, I find their phones to be overpriced. I'm cheap lol, therefore, it's a no go for me. Yes, yes, I could (maybe?) buy a phone elsewhere and just get a Wind SIM, but.. Iunno lol.

Actually, the deal for me is I'm looking at the following prepaid plans:
Virgin - $20 - Unlimited text, 10cents/min - Phone I want: $90
http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/pl...?link=foo ter
Bell - $20 - Unlimited text, Unlimited calling window (3-7, 5-9, or 7-11), 30cents/min - Phone I want: $100
http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWl...Landi ng.page

There's a plan at Rogers that I like, and it's $25/month.. Unlimited calling from 3-6, unlimited text, and unlimited mobile browsing (thinking I won't use this feature lol)
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...products/plans
But I'm not a huge fan of the phones, and I think the okay one is 90. But I don't like it much.

The plan at Koodoo that I like, $26.

And I'm going with prepaid because I have a tendency to go overboard with things.. haha. And that way I don't have to deal with messed up bills? (Which could still happen for pay-as-you-go stuff, but I'm hoping in lesser amounts than plans and stuff)
Old 04-10-2010 at 09:31 PM   #13
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
I looked at Wind, I find their phones to be overpriced. I'm cheap lol, therefore, it's a no go for me. Yes, yes, I could (maybe?) buy a phone elsewhere and just get a Wind SIM, but.. Iunno lol.

Actually, the deal for me is I'm looking at the following prepaid plans:
Virgin - $20 - Unlimited text, 10cents/min - Phone I want: $90
why not go with virgin or fido's $25 plan? 100 mins during the day, and unlimited after 7 pm + you get ur unlimited texting, and with a 3 yr contract, you will get a phone for free
Old 04-10-2010 at 10:41 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Check out Worldline.ca if you make long distance calls: http://www.worldline.ca/

I have been using them for five years now, and since almost everyone is long distance from me, it's saved me a TON of money...especially since I've added the number to my My5 with Virgin...so calling them is free too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-12-2010 at 05:34 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I use https://www.xpresscall.com/, it's 2.5cents a minute. No calling card either. You can call from anywhere can use a pin or you can register your phone number. I also have it on my My10 with Virgin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Check out Worldline.ca if you make long distance calls: http://www.worldline.ca/

I have been using them for five years now, and since almost everyone is long distance from me, it's saved me a TON of money...especially since I've added the number to my My5 with Virgin...so calling them is free too.