Cellphone Help Needed Desda Computers & Tech 7 09-03-2010 12:14 AM
Cellphone plan ishk33 General Discussion 22 09-03-2009 08:20 PM
Laptop Battery Recall Chris L General Discussion 7 11-17-2008 11:55 AM

Cellphone Battery Disposal

Old 04-06-2010 at 12:01 AM   #1
missmatch

Liked: 0 Times

Cellphone Battery Disposal
So, I just noticed that my cellphone battery was bulging a little (BAD SIGN).
But I have no idea what to do with it. I googled for some possible solutions, but some are contradicting each other (ex. salt water solution is good, no it's bad, no blablabla).

Any help from Macinsiders?

Either way, I'm gonna ask around tomorrow at Mac to see where I can dispose of this thing.
Old 04-06-2010 at 12:05 AM   #2
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

well for the time being it should go without saying that it should be kept away from books, papers, clothing material etc.. until you find a way to dispose of it. Just sayin

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 04-06-2010 at 12:06 AM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

garbage can

/thread
Old 04-06-2010 at 12:21 AM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
garbage can

/thread
Recycle your batteries, bro.

SALT WATER SOLUTION? That just sounds SO wrong. That's an extremely conductive environment to short your positive and negative terminals in... kablooey!

I think there may be some disposal bins for batteries and ink cartridges around, but I'm not exactly sure where.

RyanC says thanks to temptingf8 for this post.
Old 04-06-2010 at 06:59 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I see disposal cans everywhere, i think there might be one in the Mohawk centre? Not sure... ask somebody... whatever you do, don't just throw it in the trash.
Old 04-06-2010 at 01:19 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There's one in the life science building I believe. I know it's for printers not sure if it's for batteries.
Old 04-06-2010 at 06:07 PM   #7
leek43

Liked: 0 Times

Look for the Think Recycle boxes- they're for cell phones, print cartridges, electronics. They should be all around campus buildings (but if they're full they may have been removed to get replaced). Usually there's one near Life Sci 112, MUSC, Lobby of David Braley (by the desks), Mills Lobby, etc etc.
Old 04-07-2010 at 11:56 AM   #8
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

if you have a way of getting there, the best place to recycle it would be at the dump in Dundas.

go down Cootes towards downtown Dundas. At the light, turn right on to Olympic Drive. almost immediately on your left is the driveway (sign is a bit hard to see) for the dump. go in through the first set of gates and you'll see a small building with bins. these guys take all hazardous waste stuff like all kinds of batteries, those swirly lightbulbs, old cans of paint etc.

once you're done there, drive around the huge bins for recycling cardboard, electronics, etc. and back out of the wire gate/fence and then turn right to get back out to Olympic drive.

it's all free to dispose stuff there.