Cellphone plan ishk33 General Discussion 22 09-03-2009 08:20 PM

cellphone line in mcmaster

Old 07-28-2012 at 04:46 PM   #1
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

cellphone line in mcmaster
hi im gonna get a cellphone as i go into 1st year uni
Does Wind work okay in macmaster?
i heard rogers gets messed up sometimes and telus is sort of better than rogers.
im thinking of using the phone line "Wind" any recommendations?
Old 07-28-2012 at 04:50 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

For rogers it's probably because their one tower at mac can't support the sheer volume. Thus resulting in delayed text messages, receiving floods of texts, etc. I'm with fido and that problem dropped after first year. As for Wind I know for sure you can't get service in one building and in basements.
Old 07-28-2012 at 04:55 PM   #3
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
For rogers it's probably because their one tower at mac can't support the sheer volume. Thus resulting in delayed text messages, receiving floods of texts, etc. I'm with fido and that problem dropped after first year. As for Wind I know for sure you can't get service in one building and in basements.
really? which building is that? like the residence building? or class buildings...??
Old 07-28-2012 at 05:07 PM   #4
Griffindoor
Account Locked

Liked: 5 Times

Rogers works exceptionally well now as they fixed cellphone issues last year with a new tower on top of TSH. I have no idea about Wind.
Old 07-28-2012 at 05:15 PM   #5
nmerwin

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Wind works pretty well on campus. Reception is pretty bad in MDCL, but I'm fine almost everywhere else, I've never really had too much of a problem with it, plus its super cheap
Old 07-28-2012 at 08:18 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Wind doesn't work well in MDCL and ITB (mostly the basement), but works fine pretty much everywhere (including the basements) else on campus.
Old 07-29-2012 at 08:45 PM   #7
swagonlock

Liked: 1 Time

My friend had WIND and most of the time his phone was the only one out of my group of friends who had decent reception in the res elevators, basements... I'm sure you'll manage
Old 07-29-2012 at 08:58 PM   #8
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Rogers is amazing Signal wise, 3+ years at mac, I know. But Rogers prices, are piece of crap.
Old 07-29-2012 at 09:04 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

@griffindor interesting my friends still complain about delayed text messages cause I thought it was fixed too.
Old 07-29-2012 at 09:56 PM   #10
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

I've used Wind for two years at Mac now. Like people said MDCL and ITB had issues. I don't get very good signal in the ETB as well, but that's with most cell phone providers in that building.

Everywhere else I have great signal, and it's super cheap so I'm not complaining. However, I've heard different things about the different phones. I'd suggest going with one of the higher end models (Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Nexus or BlackBerry 9900/9790) as the cheaper ones on Wind sometimes have signal issues.
Old 07-30-2012 at 07:12 AM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Fido = Rogers.

As an above poster said, Rogers added a new tower to help with the congestion. WIND has a tower on or around the MUSC/KTH. Like the above posters..I've only had reception issues in ETB, ITB basement and MDCL.
Old 07-30-2012 at 04:27 PM   #12
aspire.dream

KOODO - do it $35/month unlimited talk and text is what I have! It's no longer available to add but they have great no contract plans!
Old 10-07-2012 at 02:32 PM   #13
aspire.dream

I'm thinking of switching to wind now though...
just because I seriously need a new phone and koodo's new phones are too expensive :( (plus they don't have the blackberry 9900 which I really want)
Old 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM   #14
aspire.dream

This is one of my earlier posts about koodo!
Sorry if I'm spamming!! :s

Koodo is great! I'd definitely reccommend them! I have $35 for unlimited talk/text. Koodo to koodo IS free aswell but since I already have unlimited it's not that great lol. The only dead zone on campus is 3/4 of MDCL 1102 but other than that I haven't had any problems at all even in basement rooms! Do it haha
Old 10-07-2012 at 09:25 PM   #15
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

I have had Rogers/Fido on campus. They are great, would highly recommend them. Wind I had in Guelph, turned out to be terrible and wasted a lot of money, then switch back to Rogers/Fido.