MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

Chem 2OA3

Chem 2OA3
Organic Chemistry I
Published by kenneth526
12-22-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 70%
Chem 2OA3

Course Overview
Chem 2OA3 (Organic chemistry, also known as "orgo") covers introductory topics in organic chemistry: chemical bonding, molecular orbitals, acid/base chemistry, stereochemistry, spectroscopy techniques (infrared spec, mass spec, proton & C13 NMR), functional group chemistry and reaction mechanisms (SN1, SN2, E1, E2). There are three 50 minute lectures every week, one three-hour lab and one two-hour tutorial every other week (they alternate with each other). Orgo is one of the more challenging courses you'll take in upper year, so you'll need to put in a fair amount of work to get a good grade.

Course Breakdown
Midterm: 25%
Assignments (3 in total): 5%
Labs (5 in total): 20%
Final Exam: 50%

Note: If you do better on your exam than your midterm, then the midterm weighting will be added to the final exam such that it's worth 75% of your final mark.

Midterm
  • Two hours long, 100 total marks
  • Covers molecular/atomic orbitals, acid-base chemistry, stereochemistry, SN2 reactions, and IR/C13/Proton NMR spectroscopy
  • 20 multiple choice questions, two marks each
  • 3 short answer questions equalling 60 marks
  • There are NO part marks for multiple choice questions: there are only part marks for short answer questions
Don't underestimate the midterm, because it was challenging. The first few chapters in the class deals with concepts that you're well familiar with from Chem 1AA3, so you might be tempted to breeze through them when you're studying. The midterm had a couple of tricky theoretical questions on the earlier chapters, so make sure that you understanding them thoroughly.
Several students were pressed for time during this midterm, and a lot of them didn't even finish writing the test. To be successful in the midterm, you need to make sure that you do a lot of practice problems, whether they be from the textbook, webCT or WileyPlus (an online assessment that comes with the textbook). In hindsight, a lot of the midterm questions weren't completely new at all,I just spent a lot of time on them because I hadn't practiced similar problems before.

Assignments
You get three written assignments throughout the term that must be completed in pen or pencil (not online). Everyone gets the exact same assignment with the exact same questions, so the average for these tends to be in the high 80s (which is why they're only worth 5% of your final mark). Like CAPA in physics 1B03 or the webCT quizzes in Chem 1A03/1AA3, learn to answer the problems on your own. It won't help you for the midterm or the final exam if you just copy a peer's answers without understanding it.

Labs and Tutorials
Like in 1A03/1AA3, you have five three-hour labs every other week for the entire term. The experiments are related to the material you learned in class from the previous week, so the lab write-ups are relatively easy. There is a lot of waiting in organic chemistry labs: whether you're refluxing or re-crystallizing, so you're going to need to be patient during these labs (it does get boring at times however).

The tutorials in 2OA3 are two hours every other week, and like in 1A03/1AA3, the TA goes over the tutorials posted by the professor on webCT. I only have two comments on the tutorials: a ) go to them and b ) if you choose to attend them, try to attempt the tutorial problems before the TA goes over them. It's a lot more helpful come midterm time than just blindly copying what he/she writes on the board.

Final Exam
  • 3 hours long, 100 marks in total
  • Covers every chapter, with emphasis on reaction mechanisms
  • 20 multiple choice questions, 2 marks each
  • 6 short answer questions equalling 60 marks
  • There are NO part marks for multiple choice questions: there are only part marks for short answer questions
I found the exam easier than the midterm. It could have been a lack of preparation for the midterm, but it seemed like if you put in a fair amount of time studying the final, it won't be so bad.

Professor
Dr. Harald Stover was the lecturer when I took this class, and he was an amazing prof. He posts clean, detailed notes on webCT and paces himself well during the lectures. He's always willing to answer questions during the lectures and is a very approachable person (he even drops by the ABB labs to help students complete their experiments!) And he has a really cool German accent.

Difficulty et al
Organic chemistry is a hard class. It's not your convential physical chemistry class where you calculate the moles of product or gibbs free energy. Instead, you need to understand the conditions and implications of every problem: you can do this by asking yourself one of several questions such as "is there steric hindrance?", "what will stabilize the carbocation?", "what are the reaction conditions?", "what is the stereochemistry?", etc. Essentially, to answer an organic chemistry question, you need to understand what's happening spatially and consider all of the reaction implications that they discuss in class (it's hard to explain, but once you take the course you'll understand what I mean).

Again, I recommend doing a LOT of practice problems to prepare for the midterm and exam (especially spectroscopy and reaction mechanism problems). You'll need to put in a lot of work to get a good mark in this class, but it's very possible to get a double digit grade.

Good luck!

0t10, Anna M, BlakeM, FJEAN, saukalra, sinthusized all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

reidjc2 likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Chem 2OA3!

Old 12-23-2008 at 01:42 AM   #2
phana2

Liked: Liked 4 Times
This was definitely not an easy course, but so far it's my personal favourite out of all the courses I've taken in university. If chemistry has never clicked easily with you, and/or if you do not have any real interest in chemistry, you will probably have to work extra hard in order to do well in this course. One of the great things about this course is that the help is always available if you need it, it's just up to you to go find it. Dr. Stover was such a good prof, he paced himself well and often saved the last 20 minutes of class to do practice problems that he made up himself. The only bad thing about Dr. Stover was that he didn't have have any real office hours, his "office hours" were basically him standing outside MDCL 1305 after the lectures with 5-10 students surrounding him asking questions. And the midterm was actually 90 minutes, not two hours.

Andrew Phan
BSc II
Old 01-04-2009 at 05:37 PM   #3
collieee

Liked: 3 Times
if anyone is thinking of taking this course as a bird course( dont kno why in gods name you would want to do that to yourself) NEVER in your life take if you dont dont have to ...... ever

and if you have to ... all i can say is " let God be with you "

and for you chem lovers ... well done my friend ...well done

H.L. says thanks to collieee for this post.

neev, unaiza like this.
Old 06-14-2009 at 06:12 PM   #4
precious

Liked: 1 Time
If anyone still has the outline for this course, would you mind posting which specific chapters were covered
Thanks

Old 06-15-2009 at 03:54 PM   #5
Saleha

Liked: 17 Times
i'm taking it right now in the summer... and we cover chapters 1-12, but not in order.
tht's off the textbook; Solomons.Fryhe Organic Chemistry 9th Ed.

Kayli, precious all say thanks to Saleha for this post.

olivem8 likes this.
Old 06-15-2009 at 04:42 PM   #6
precious

Thanks! If its not too much trouble could you post the course outline that your using? I have an extremely heavy 1st semester and I thought that if get started studying the text now it would really help.

thanks again
Old 06-15-2009 at 09:24 PM   #7
Saleha

Liked: 17 Times
here you go!
good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf course outline.pdf (16.4 KB, 516 views)

jc24, jhan523, Kayli, precious, sinthusized all say thanks to Saleha for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 01:20 PM   #8
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times
I took the course this past summer, and I have to say it was not as bad as people make it out to be.
If you do your homework, show up to tutorials, and review, this course is not hard at all.
The most challenging part of the course may in fact be retrosynthesis or the NMR problems which require not only knowledge but also the ability to problem solve.
Labs are really easy as well and the assignments were pretty straight forward (there may be 1 or 2 tricky questions.)
Old 07-09-2009 at 02:04 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
hi do you recommend reviewing chem 1aa3 before going into this class or do they review throughout the course? i don't remember a lot of things from chem 1aa3.
Old 07-09-2009 at 02:40 PM   #10
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times
sicne i just took chem 1aa3 in 2nd term b4 taking the course, most of it was fresh in my head; however, not too much review of 1aa3 was necessary as our teacher kept reviewing concepts in 1aa3 prior to teaching new lessons which was quite annoying
if you grasped the concepts well in 1aa3 you should do fine in this class

Kayli, sinthusized all say thanks to jordan19 for this post.
Old 05-05-2010 at 02:36 PM   #11
tammy37

Does anyone know if the Wiley plus package is helpful? I was wondering if I should buy it or not....
Old 05-05-2010 at 04:00 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy37 View Post
Does anyone know if the Wiley plus package is helpful? I was wondering if I should buy it or not....
There is usually enough questions provided by the professor. I never used Wiley, plus it's not like the questions will be similar to those.

tammy37 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-09-2010 at 11:18 AM   #13
Fa11enAnge1

Liked: 3 Times
Has anyone ever had Brook, Ma? How is he?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2010
sana1504
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-19-2010 at 08:23 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
I'd also really like to know about Brook! Also, do you think a 10+ is possible in the course and how would one go about actually doing well in the course?
Thanks!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search