MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

Chem 2OA3

Old 12-22-2008 at 05:12 PM   #31
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chem 2OA3
Course Overview
Chem 2OA3 (Organic chemistry, also known as "orgo") covers introductory topics in organic chemistry: chemical bonding, molecular orbitals, acid/base chemistry, stereochemistry, spectroscopy techniques (infrared spec, mass spec, proton & C13 NMR), functional group...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

likes this.
Old 08-30-2010
TLulu
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:14 PM   #30
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
Organic Chemistry 2OA3
Fall 2010
Professor: Dr. Brook

Great course, one of my favourites.

It's notorious for its difficulty. However, it seems as though because Dr. Brook had not taught the course in a few years he was somewhat rusty, and was not as effective a professor as he could have been.

To even that out, I believe the course was made a bit easier this year compared to past years because it wasn't very challenging at all.

Midterm 1: in class, 50 mins, difficult due to the lack of time, and because it was so early on a lot of the questions seemed intricate and strange.

Midterm 2: to even it out, they made this midterm very easy, and gave us more than enough time (it was an evening one).

Exam: fairly straightforward, nothing special here.

The more you study, the higher mark you'll get in this course.
Definitely possible to get a 12 with the right amount of effort.

Textbook not required but it's definitely useful, office hours definitely not required, and tutorials were optional but I found them somewhat helpful.
Old 04-15-2011 at 11:46 PM   #31
lauds

Liked: 0 Times
This was not an easy course, but there is always a chem tutor in the basement of Thode.
If you're having trouble with orgo, seek help!! The tutors helped A LOT

Purple2309 says thanks to lauds for this post.
Old 05-02-2011 at 09:24 AM   #32
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times
Do you recommend buying the textbook for this course, also, what is the molecular model kit for ?
Old 05-02-2011 at 02:58 PM   #33
myroodle
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatomasi View Post
Do you recommend buying the textbook for this course, also, what is the molecular model kit for ?
Really depends on how you learn, I guess. I personally found the textbook pretty useful. It has clear explanations and examples of everything you will cover in the course (with the exception of some supplementary stuff which is exclusively discussed in lecture). ALTHOUGH, 90% of the notes are literally copy/pasted straight from the textbook, so if you attend all the lectures, you probably won't need to refer to the textbook. Not sure how helpful that was LOL :(

And the model kit helps a LOT. You're allowed to bring it to all midterms/exams. I never used it in 2OB3.. but in 2AO3, there's a huge emphasis on chirality & if you can't clearly visualize the structures in your head, model kit will be your bffl. I can't emphasize this enough... if you're buying anything for this course...BUYYYYYY THEEE MODELLLL KITTTT D: (btw, don't get the pretty/shiny/expensive kit.. go for the $10 one... the pieces are more flexible & it helps with doing chair/boat flips)

Purple2309 says thanks to myroodle for this post.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:13 AM   #34
dasiln

Liked: 1 Time
im taking 20A3 in the summer right now with Dr Teri Gullon, and i just wanted to say that she is awesome. She explains concepts very clearly. i wouldnt say the content is difficult just requires alot of practice. most of the material taught are things that you need to get the hang of at first. I think taking it in the summer allows you to fully concentrate and understand all the mechanisms in a clearer manner. That being said i think this course would be doable during the school year as long as you DONT FALL BEHIND and practice..ALOT.

the labs i thought werent that demanding, structure of it was you read the lab package made a summary of the procedure, answered about 3 prelab questions (not difficult, could be answered just by reading the package) and then conducted the experiment in the lab, i liked these labs because the result/discussion section of the lab was simple, it mainly consisted of just explaining why your result was what it was, which could be completed in a few scentances. there are 5 mandatory labs

overall a decent course

my suggestion: summer school

BlueWave says thanks to dasiln for this post.
Old 06-17-2011 at 09:17 PM   #35
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times
I just finished 2OA3 (summer) with Teri Gullon as well. I agree with the comment before mine, she was awesome. She explains things so well and she's very approachable. Answers to the point. Although beware of lab coordinator Teri, she's scary O_O really intimidating but she only really comes out during labs & near the end time limit of the midterms/exams.

On that note, midterm was okay (we had a pretty high average for chem in general 72%), exam ... HARD. Well probably because I underestimated it.

The course itself was much more interesting than Chem 1A03/AA3. There was A LOT of material that required you to practice a lot to understand/ get engraved into your mind. Which is why I recommend taking it in the summer.
Old 06-28-2011 at 08:46 PM   #36
fernancb

Liked: Liked 4 Times
First of all, Teri Gullon = AWESOME. I'm so sad I'm not taking 20B3 in summer with her :(

Anyway, organic chemistry. Really, I found that this course was a lot easier than what everyone told me. They said it was going to be really tough and I should take it in summer to get it over with, but i found the course really interesting and that the application of in class knowledge was a lot more related in labs. I honestly didn't need the textbook with Teri teaching and Sapling was the best resource I used.
Old 06-29-2011 at 10:57 PM   #37
karna

Liked: 28 Times
better than 1st year chemistry
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:26 PM   #38
alexfigueroa

Would anyone mind posting a review for Chem 2E03? How similar are the courses, if at all?
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:33 PM   #39
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfigueroa View Post
Would anyone mind posting a review for Chem 2E03? How similar are the courses, if at all?
http://www.macinsiders.com/search.ph...04&pp=9&page=2
Old 08-01-2011 at 08:27 PM   #40
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfigueroa View Post
A lot of the material is similar, since the courses are anti-reqs, however Chem 2E03 doesn't have labs and has tutorials instead.
Old 08-20-2011 at 02:13 PM   #41
yasminosman

I checked the Titles website for this Fall 2011 semester's textbooks, and it says that there is a "ssg/ssm" package included?
Does anyone know what that is?
Old 08-20-2011 at 02:36 PM   #42
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
I believe ssg/ssm stands for Student Study Guide/Student Solutions Manual.

yasminosman says thanks to lankan_4lif for this post.
Old 08-20-2011 at 04:08 PM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
I believe ssg/ssm stands for Student Study Guide/Student Solutions Manual.
Yep. That's it

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search