MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Chem 2E03 antirequisite of Chem 2OA3? Mr.Prodigy Academics 22 12-04-2010 07:32 PM

Chem 2OA3

Old 12-22-2008 at 05:12 PM   #46
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chem 2OA3
Course Overview
Chem 2OA3 (Organic chemistry, also known as "orgo") covers introductory topics in organic chemistry: chemical bonding, molecular orbitals, acid/base chemistry, stereochemistry, spectroscopy techniques (infrared spec, mass spec, proton & C13 NMR), functional group...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

likes this.
Old 09-05-2011 at 12:54 AM   #45
Ellatimes3

Liked: 0 Times
I took this course last year, that was a hard time for me.....pretty difficult course.
Old 01-03-2012 at 09:44 AM   #46
kmahiri

Stover Really was not doing us any favors this year on the exam. You Need to dedicate alot more time to this course than one might initially think
Old 01-05-2012 at 04:35 PM   #47
ekrutz

Liked: 1 Time
Took this course this past semester (Fall 2011) with Dr. Stover. While Dr. Stover seems like a really really nice guy.... his lectures were NOT very reflective of his midterm or exam, which was kind of frustrating. Also, having only 1 midterm was not that great... I would have rather had 2 (meaning more practise with the later material, which was harder). Overall, fairly difficult course, however it's definitely manageable if you keep on top of the material and don't fall behind!!
Old 05-06-2012 at 02:58 AM   #48
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
my friend in chembio said the 2 orgos were his easiest courses he had. and then i laughed because i wanted to do chembio before
Old 05-06-2012 at 10:20 AM   #49
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
my friend in chembio said the 2 orgos were his easiest courses he had. and then i laughed because i wanted to do chembio before
Lol very true...also the courses with the least amount of work.
Old 09-08-2012 at 01:46 PM   #50
mitalir

Took this summer in the summer with Landry as prof, and he taught the course extremely well. The midterms and exam were VERY FAIR, and if you study well and do practice questions, you'll do great in the course!
Old 12-23-2012 at 12:18 AM   #52
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times
The exam was brutal. It dropped my average a lot. It dropped my mark from a 12 to a 9 and it looked really bad compared to the 12s I got in my other courses. Definitely do it in the summer, and make sure to practice.
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:47 PM   #53
ab299

Liked: 1 Time
what chapters were covered?
Old 06-06-2013 at 06:15 PM   #54
BobSmith99
Account Locked

Anyone have Harrison for Organic chem? If so, how is he?
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:16 PM   #55
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSmith99 View Post
Anyone have Harrison for Organic chem? If so, how is he?
I had a bad experience and it was during summer. It was so hard to sit through 3 hrs and most of the time I just left and listened to his podcasts (not a good idea, but I was falling asleep in class anyways). He gave us breaks after 1.5 hours so it was a bit rough. I didn't quite like his teaching style. He kinda glosses over info and does not go into material in depth. I would recommend getting lots of practice via past tests/exams and they will be posted by the prof so don't bother getting ripped off by ppl.

Overall, I had a bad impression of him. The course is not hard, the prof really is key to the course. If prof sucks, then course sucks.
Old 06-09-2013 at 08:13 PM   #56
kg929

Liked: Liked 2 Times
For people who took the course during the year, did you find the tutorials useful? Or were they like Chem 1A03/1AA3 tutorials, where you would just go over questions from avenue?
Old 07-18-2013 at 03:58 PM   #57
khananr

I saw this asked in a few posts above me, but I was wondering if someone else could comment on Harrison as a professor? I looked up some reviews on Rate My Professor and they were all brutal... is there anything in particular that would make him a good prof? Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2013 at 11:27 PM   #58
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khananr View Post
I saw this asked in a few posts above me, but I was wondering if someone else could comment on Harrison as a professor? I looked up some reviews on Rate My Professor and they were all brutal... is there anything in particular that would make him a good prof? Thanks guys.
Well, he really challenged his students by giving difficult tests. He sometimes swear in class, and some people thought it was funny. He is British, so if you like fancy accents, you might like him. He comes into the lab and help students sometimes, it is not something every prof does! But he is absolutely a very very difficult professor for sure.
Old 08-08-2013 at 10:31 AM   #59
Lin~

How is Chem 2OA3 different from Chem Bio2OA3?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search