MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Courses (Commerce students only) Salik Academics 9 05-06-2012 10:13 PM
Choosing an Engineering Stream DarthFuzzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 03-17-2011 04:24 PM
Engineering I Elective choosing Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-27-2010 11:40 PM
Need Help Choosing Courses ThatGuy Academics 3 06-22-2009 11:15 PM
Choosing Sections for Courses benjs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-06-2008 05:24 PM

Choosing Engineering I courses and few other questions

Old 06-15-2012 at 12:25 PM   #16
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisu4 View Post
thanks Chris, I have no programming experience, whatsoever, but from what I heard that isn't a problem since the program has no programming prerequisites.

I hope that would be alright, or would you suggest to start learning Python's basics over the summer so I have an easier time during the fall?
If you have spare time now, it would be a good idea to buy the textbook and start learning Python right away, to gain some programming experience. (In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now, as I plan to take CS1MD3 in the fall.) That said, Python is much easier to learn than Java / C++.

Arisu4 says thanks to Alexmahone for this post.
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:26 PM   #17
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
thanks Chris, I have no programming experience, whatsoever, but from what I heard that isn't a problem since the program has no programming prerequisites.

I hope that would be alright, or would you suggest to start learning Python's basics over the summer so I have an easier time during the fall?
It's a good idea to learn some basic programming principles before you start school. You can check out some of the tutorial videos on YouTube.
I found this tutorial for Python (feel free to look for other videos if you don't like this one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h3HphEA

I had no experience in Python and totally loved that course !
Good luck !

Arisu4 says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:34 PM   #18
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
If you have spare time now, it would be a good idea to buy the textbook and start learning Python right away, to gain some programming experience. (In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now, as I plan to take CS1MD3 in the fall.) That said, Python is much easier to learn than Java / C++.
I like the idea of buying the textbook now...I had friends who didn't have the python book for like a month because it was all sold out :/
Old 06-15-2012 at 12:36 PM   #19
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I like the idea of buying the textbook now...I had friends who didn't have the python book for like a month because it was all sold out :/
They could have bought it on Amazon, like me.

jim1 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:37 PM   #20
Arisu4

Liked: 7 Times

Thank you all for the replies. I am planing to buy used Python textbook, once I finish my registration.

Also, another odd question:
In these forums, is it polite to write thank you reply or just leave it, since you don't add anything constructive to the thread? or is using the thank you/like buttons enough?

Old 06-19-2012 at 09:40 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. I am planing to buy used Python textbook, once I finish my registration.

Also, another odd question:
In these forums, is it polite to write thank you reply or just leave it, since you don't add anything constructive to the thread? or is using the thank you/like buttons enough?

Pretty much everyone uses the thank you/like button.

If it's a personal thread where others haven't been asking questions then it's alright to add a thank you post if you wish. If it's a more general thread with lots of questions being asked by multiple users then please refrain from posting those kinds of replies since they could drown out questions and such. You could also PM people to say thank you if you wish.

Arisu4 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-21-2012 at 09:18 AM   #22
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
it is very easy for course selection yes. If you want to go into management, you will need one of the econ electives. cant remember if it is 1b03 or 1bb3. both are easy and straight forward. you dont have much choice about what term you take your compulsory courses. They are all set to either first or second term, with the exception being 1c03 and 1d03, which can be either first or second term. I would recommend not putting them both in the same term. If you are not a good programmer, 1d03 could prove difficult, I took it second term and due to the low marks from the first term class, the labs were apparently made to be much easier than that of the first term. Also now 1d03 is using python as its programming language, so that should be much easier than when we used to do C++
When did they teach C++? I remember them teaching C# and then switching to python the following year. Not that it really matters, although I've always thought it was a bad idea to switch it to python, learning a C based language is probably more useful in the long run.
Old 06-21-2012 at 09:45 AM   #23
Arisu4

Liked: 7 Times

I actually talked to my uncle, who is a programmer and he didn't seem to like Python, even asked me if its possible to take a course which uses a different language (C++ or Java).

I doubt there are other courses equivalent to ENGINEER 1D04

and I am guessing that my uncle might not be completely right, there must be a good reason why Python was chosen for engineering I.1D04
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:02 AM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
I actually talked to my uncle, who is a programmer and he didn't seem to like Python, even asked me if its possible to take a course which uses a different language (C++ or Java).

and I am guessing that my uncle might not be completely right, there must be a good reason why Python was chosen for engineering I.1D04
Its not about the language, its about learning the methodology.. I'm assuming the department heads thought it best to use Python... for whatever reason.
Old 06-21-2012 at 01:15 PM   #25
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Its not about the language, its about learning the methodology.. I'm assuming the department heads thought it best to use Python... for whatever reason.
As I had already mentioned, the school used to teach 1D04 using C#, but due to student feedback they decided to use a more... understandable language since not everyone in engineering is also a programmer. I still think they made a poor decision, .NET languages are very useful and understanding C# syntax and functions gives students insight into other similar languages like C++ or Java. Python is very meh.
Old 06-21-2012 at 02:13 PM   #26
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Yup the change was made for the sole purpose of making the course either... although i think a change in professors would have done the trick.
Farmar quote: "What is Hamilton best known for? WATERFALLS!"
...thought it was called the steel city.
Old 06-21-2012 at 05:31 PM   #27
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:

Python as a First Language

jim1 likes this.
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:23 PM   #28
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
John Zelle is the author of the python book that we used in first year engineering...I absolutely loved his style and approach to programming !