MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Choosing my elective... xxsumz Academics 3 06-21-2010 05:09 PM
Reasons for choosing Mac Connor_92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 04-07-2010 09:00 PM
Choosing First Year Rez bhaley General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 12:03 PM
Choosing Sections for Courses benjs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-06-2008 05:24 PM

Need Help Choosing Courses

Old 06-21-2009 at 05:55 PM   #1
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

Need Help Choosing Courses
I completed first year very poorly and am currently enrolled in Science Level 2...
So, I'm pretending I got into Environmental Science and will hopefully transfer into Honours Enviro Sci for third year after I pull my marks up. I have to choose between going into Environmental Science or Earth and Environmental Science.

Honours Environmental Science: OR Honours Earth and Environmental Science:
1. Envir Sc. 2B03
2. Envir Sc. 2E03
3. Envir Sc. 2G03
4. Envir Sc. 2Q03
5. Envir Sc. 2W03
6. Envir Sc. 2C03
7. Envir Sc. 1G03
8. Envir Sc. 2GI3
9. Biology 2D03
10. Biology 2F03

OR

Honours Earth and Environmental Science:
1. Earth Sc. 2B03
2. Earth Sc. 2E03
3. Earth Sc. 2G03
4. Earth Sc. 2Q03
5. Earth Sc. 2W03
6. Earth Sc. 1G03
7. Earth Sc. 2GI3
8. Biology 2D03
9. Stats 2B03
10. Elective?

I'd like to take the earth and environmental Science but i have to take stats, and im very bad at math... Any advice would be appreciated I dont really know what to do, even though these programs are basically the same thing..

Last edited by ThatGuy : 06-21-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2009 at 07:45 PM   #2
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

It looks like the big difference in courses to take is Stats 2B03, Bio 2F03 and Envir Sc 2C03.

Here's a course review for Stats 2B03 http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2027 7

Here's a course review for Bio 2F03 http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2163 1

Also make sure you take a look at Envir Sci 2C03. I don't see a course review for that course yet. Maybe someone who has taken that course can give you more information on that.

Since you're just shadowing the program right now, taking one course or the other won't determine which program you're in once you bring your marks up. You should be able to transfer into either one.
Old 06-22-2009 at 09:31 AM   #3
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Woo, someone *kinda* in the same program as me! I'm in Honors Environmental Science but shadowing Honors Earth and Environmental Science (which according to my signature I pretend I am in).

I say go for Honors Earth and Environmental Science (although I may be a bit biased) because if you look through the undergrad calendar, there are many specializations you can choose from in third/fourth year:

Aqueus Environmental Geochemistry
Earth Sciences
Environmental Hydrology and Climate

But there are no specializations under Honors Environmental Science, that may be something you want to consider in the future. But like moops said, you can transfer into either one, so you could do Honors Enivro this year but in third year if you want to specialize in something you could transfer into Honors Earth&Enviro - the only thing is, make sure you have the prerequisites for the third/fourth year courses such as STATS. I've talked to a few people about that course, it's completely different from calculus math so I don't think it would be too difficult and also it would be a VERY useful course. Job opportunities related to the Enivro field often have stats knowledge as an asset.

I hope that helps, I'm not very good at explaining things. lol
Old 06-22-2009 at 11:15 PM   #4
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

thanks a lot for the advice guys, much appreciated. And i think im going to try earth and enviro sc. i think i should be able to do stats as long as i follow along..