MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Choosing my elective... xxsumz Academics 3 06-21-2010 05:09 PM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
Possible to cancel lease due to sanitation reasons mmal General Discussion 4 05-31-2009 10:22 PM

Reasons for choosing Mac

Old 03-20-2010 at 10:40 PM   #1
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

Reasons for choosing Mac
Hey guys,
I was recently accepted to the Life Science I program for fall 2010 at Mac. I'm fairly certain that Mac is right for me, but I was just hoping to get some opinions on why people chose McMaster, and what they like best about life at Mac. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, and would really help me in the decision process. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010 at 11:11 PM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

The campus is great, it's a very welcoming place, it's small (compared to many other universities), easy to get around and a great place to be.
Old 03-20-2010 at 11:17 PM   #3
Katy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Mac has one of the best athletic varsity programs and athletic facilities. As well, the university itself has an amazing reputation which is worth a lot.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:11 AM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Mcmaster has pros and cons like all universities. You will have awesome chem,bio,psych and math profs. Pipalock will be back for chem next year, shes such an awesome chem prof. Its easy to walk from class to class and people are very friendly. Now to the cons, you will become familiar with MUGSI and will despise it, mcmaster has terrible wireless internet, so during chem and bio 1M03 you wont have access to wifi in the lecture hall and the food at mac is pretty bad.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:24 AM   #5
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Mcmaster has pros and cons like all universities. You will have awesome chem,bio,psych and math profs. Pipalock will be back for chem next year, shes such an awesome chem prof. Its easy to walk from class to class and people are very friendly. Now to the cons, you will become familiar with MUGSI and will despise it, mcmaster has terrible wireless internet, so during chem and bio 1M03 you wont have access to wifi in the lecture hall and the food at mac is pretty bad.
haha, the food isnt all bad. Bridges is pretty awesome and there's some hidden finds like the wokery! i would agree that the food can get boring after a while.
Old 03-21-2010 at 12:50 AM   #6
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

A small, beautiful campus, biomedical engineering program, far enough away from home to feel independent, close enough to not feel too homesick
Old 03-21-2010 at 02:09 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Pros: its awesome. especially the chem and physics profs. as for the bio and psych profs... thats a matter of personal opinion
Cons: the food does get pretty boring. and you'll have to learn a new swear word: ELM
but otherwise, mac is great
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 03-21-2010 at 06:09 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I chose Mac because it felt perfect when I came on campus for my tour. I didn't want to leave.

Make sure that wherever you end up going, you love being there because you'll be spending a lot of time there.
Old 03-21-2010 at 09:40 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

When I walked on campus, it felt right.

By the time September ended the reasons I loved Mac: Welcome Week, residence community, all of the extra-curriculars, the beautiful campus, how crossing campus doesn't take that long, the campus wildlife...academics came into play at some point as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-21-2010 at 10:43 AM   #10
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

1) Mac's campus is perhaps one of the most comfortable and aesthetically appealing campuses in Canada, and it is completely pedestrian (ie, you don't have to cross any roads to get to class) In essence, Mac is a self-contained and self-sustaining urbanosphere, which is pretty freakin' cool.)

2) Mac is one of four universities in Canada (the others being McGill, U of T, and UBC) ranked in the Top 100 Universities in the World. So, when you talk to your friends at LooWater, Queens, or even the unmentionable Western, all you need to say is "I'm sorry, are YOU in the Top 100?"

3) Gino's pizza is about a 15 minute walk from residence, waiting for you with a large pizza for about $7 - you need not go any where else when you are in a hungry, drunken state.

4) Mac has the perfect size for a student population - big enough to have a large endowment fund and have lots of academic research to do, and small enough that there are no first year classes in the thousands.

5) Last, but certainly not least, frosh week here is a great bundle of fun - by the end of it, you won't be able to talk normally thanks to your constant cheering, and you will most definitely feel apart of Mac.

....oh, and their Classics Department is simply amazing.

Geek likes this.
Old 03-21-2010 at 01:19 PM   #11
lux

Liked: 318 Times

It's closer than Western (if you live in the GTA).
It's less competitive than UofT.
It's campus is better looking than Waterloo.

But i mean, it's all up to you.
Old 03-21-2010 at 01:55 PM   #12
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

- We have a great student union that offers many student services and lobbies the government on important student issues. check it out their website for more info.

-We also have a sweet forest right behind the residences where you can explore when you feel like taking a break from school thoughts and chill out for a bit.

- Beautiful campus. Just walk through the campus on a nice sunny day and you won't want to leave. Everyone's outside, the buildings look beautiful, lots of nice trees- you really feel the life of a university campus.

- MacInsiders. No other university has an online community like this, where you can go to for info on upcoming events, articles + tips on every university-related topic, homework help, and so much more (just browse around).

- Great people. Mac students are very friendly, helpful, and fun to hang around with. We party hard and study hard too. There's a lot of diversity at this school so that means you'll meet people from different backgrounds, which is an educational experience in itself.

- Libraries. We have four innovative libraries spread around campus that are a great resource to you whether you're looking for academic material, recreational reading, study space, homework help, or study-socializing space.

There's so many more great aspects of this school, I'm just mentioning a few that are at the top of my head and were important to why I came here!

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 03-21-2010 at 03:17 PM   #13
Connor_92

Thanks all,
I really appreciate all the input, and these all seem like really good reasons to go to Mac next year. Looks like ill tell festern to wuck themselves and go to Mac!

Alvand, mlangille, xo.monica like this.
Old 03-21-2010 at 04:58 PM   #14
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

half of me (the part with a vendetta against mac) wants to say: PLEASE RECONDSIDER coming. and if you are in Humanities/SocSci/Art just don't come at all.

Is there is anything I can do to help convince prospective students not to come I'd do it. please just look at other schools. pplllleeease. really I mean it. just stay away if you can.
Old 03-21-2010 at 05:42 PM   #15
Connor_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
half of me (the part with a vendetta against mac) wants to say: PLEASE RECONDSIDER coming. and if you are in Humanities/SocSci/Art just don't come at all.

Is there is anything I can do to help convince prospective students not to come I'd do it. please just look at other schools. pplllleeease. really I mean it. just stay away if you can.

Why? And im going into Life Science, which from what I've heard Mac has a really strong program.