MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a second year program Angoose Academics 16 01-14-2011 12:55 AM
Choosing my elective... xxsumz Academics 3 06-21-2010 05:09 PM
Choosing 2nd year program hellohello Academics 4 06-14-2010 03:48 PM
Reasons for choosing Mac Connor_92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 04-07-2010 09:00 PM
Choosing First Year Rez bhaley General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 12:03 PM

Choosing a program

Old 08-11-2013 at 08:02 PM   #1
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Choosing a program
Hello,

I am wondering if it's stupid and naive to choose a program based on the class size? I've read that particularly bigger class sizes are somewhat less effective than smaller ones. Should I let the class size of a first year program influence my decision? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013 at 08:10 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

It depends on what you value and how you learn, whether or not class size is a factor and how much weight (if any) you give it.
Old 08-11-2013 at 08:11 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I think you should choose what interests you more as a whole first to make sure you're in the right area. If it's a subsection you could do that but you get plenty of tutorial time to get more 1on1 time with TA's etc

jim1 likes this.
Old 08-11-2013 at 09:04 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Leeoku pretty much said it all, at first you should see what interests you and then go from there. If you pick a small program but you really hate the material, then you're just gonna waste 4 years of your life and if you really have no interest in the material you might not finish the program.

After you see what interests you, then i guess you could look at other factors, like class size and all. You could start comparing different schools that have the same program that you like.

murphyh likes this.
Old 08-11-2013 at 09:46 PM   #5
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Personally I can't learn from a person talking. I mean I can but if theres a textbook and assigned readings that cover what is covered in lecture I rather just read the textbook. So to me the class could be 10 or 1000 it wouldn't make a difference. It really depends on you!
Old 09-01-2013 at 11:53 AM   #6
Arsi

Liked: 0 Times

I think you should consider all aspects of the course you want to go into.
Old 09-01-2013 at 01:42 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Choose what you are interested in, since labs/tutorials/groups can make even big classes feel smaller, and if you want more time with a prof then you can usually make an appointment or office hours
Old 09-01-2013 at 03:52 PM   #8
UnfortunateL

Liked: 7 Times

Just because you're in a certain program first year, doesn't mean all the people in that class are in your program. First year classes are littered with a broad spectrum of people.

Take this year to figure out what you want. Small class sizes and large class sizes make no difference, learning is up to you.

Small class sizes just lead to a tight knit community, but that shouldn't be your reason for being in a program.
Old 09-01-2013 at 05:45 PM   #9
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Ignore these horrible advices.

Choose what will make you money! Money is everything. It gives you power which lead to respect. If you end up finding that its not the career you want, at least you have shit load of money to do a change over.

Money first, everything else second.
Old 09-01-2013 at 08:44 PM   #10
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post

Choose what will make you money! Money is everything. It gives you power which lead to respect. If you end up finding that its not the career you want, at least you have shit load of money to do a change over.

I heard making meth makes a lot of money, so I suggest taking ALL the organic chemistry and the most difficult chemistry classes and disregard all your other interests.
Old 09-01-2013 at 09:04 PM   #11
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
I heard making meth makes a lot of money, so I suggest taking ALL the organic chemistry and the most difficult chemistry classes and disregard all your other interests.
Making meth is also illegal unlike lets say, going to med school and becoming a doctor. <-- See? MONEY! And who doesn't respect a doctor? Hell, when I go out to a unfamiliar place, I always say I'm a med student to girls.
Old 09-01-2013 at 09:20 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

^ Please tell that to the unemployed docs.

Also, m bombing people tends to fail.

Old 09-01-2013 at 10:31 PM   #13
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Making meth is also illegal unlike lets say, going to med school and becoming a doctor. <-- See? MONEY! And who doesn't respect a doctor? Hell, when I go out to a unfamiliar place, I always say I'm a med student to girls.
It was a joke................. .........
Old 09-01-2013 at 10:32 PM   #14
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

John, enjoy your loveless, friendless, and sad future, while the rest of us continue our journey towards true happiness.
Old 09-01-2013 at 10:34 PM   #15
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

Don't get sucked in by the quest for filthy lucre! All those would-be plumbers and bean-counters are interested in is money.

University is not supposed to be a trade school. The real purpose of a university education is learning, expanding your mind, developing your critical faculties, sharpening your thinking,...

Find something that is interesting, with no obvious chance for selling out: Classics, Philosophy, or Linguistics, anything in the Humanities...