MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for anyone who takes GO Kathy2 General Discussion 22 02-24-2011 10:59 PM
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
City pulls McMaster polling station lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-15-2010 09:10 PM
Woman Takes Flu Shot and Becomes Disabled niteskie General Discussion 52 11-06-2009 04:05 PM

City Councils takes away funding for McMaster Health Campus

Old 07-07-2011 at 11:28 AM   #1
woosterr

Liked: 1 Time

City Councils takes away funding for McMaster Health Campus
For about a week, behind closed doors, McMaster University and city council members were in communication in hopes of receiving grant money to fund the building of the McMaster Health Campus. On Tuesday July 5th, the results of their conversations was made public in favour of McMaster University's proposal. The Hamilton Spectator headline read: "Health centre receives $10m Council backs Mac's new facility" This was tremendous news for the University.

However, today, two days after the announcement, city council members dejected the grant money. The official announcement in the Spec webiste can be found HERE.

Thoughts on this matter?
Old 07-07-2011 at 11:44 AM   #2
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

The Spec articles says that Mac will still be receiving $20m - it's just that $10m of it won't be coming from the hydro legacy fund anymore (they will find somewhere else to get it from).

So Mac's not really losing anything that it was promised (yet). They're just now debating where the money is going to come from. Which council should have done before making this decision, but whatever.
Old 07-07-2011 at 12:55 PM   #3
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Hamilton City Council in typical fine form. Expect the project to fail and end up in the Innovation Park. Of course we still have all that money to hand over to the Ticats (disclaimer: I am a season ticket holder. I have nothing against them).

Some brilliant comments by Brad Clark about McMaster having enough money to do it themselves and that Hamilton shouldn't contribute anything.

I hate when people come in from outside Hamilton and are so positive about it and can't understand why people from Hamilton want to leave. The people who actually try and achieve something for Hamilton are slowly beaten down and obstructed by the backwards thinking naysayers. It's a toxic environment and won't be changed any time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by arathbon : 07-07-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Sounded a bit TOO mean.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 07-07-2011 at 12:59 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Hamilton City Council in typical fine form. Expect the project to fail and end up in the Innovation Park. Of course we still have all that money to hand over to the Ticats (disclaimer: I am a season ticket holder. I have nothing against them).

Some brilliant comments by Brad Clark about McMaster having enough money to do it themselves and that Hamilton shouldn't contribute anything.

I hate when people come in from outside Hamilton and are so positive about it and can't understand why people from Hamilton want to leave. The average IQ of a Hamiltonian is somewhere around 60, and they are an urban version of backward hicks. The people who actually try and achieve something for Hamilton are slowly beaten down and obstructed by the backwards thinking naysayers. It's a toxic environment and won't be changed until almost everyone over 50 in the city is no longer around.
Easy tiger.
Age discrimination is against the law.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

L'Étoile, Manley like this.