MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
math 2k03 canuster Academics 7 07-26-2010 10:51 AM
Classics 1A03, Classics 1B03 ??? Guest253 Academics 5 06-10-2010 10:03 AM
Econ 2K03 hollie012 Academics 0 06-03-2010 09:10 PM
Econ 2K03 noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 12-27-2009 02:09 PM
Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03?? Guest253 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-04-2008 07:53 AM

Classics 2K03

Classics 2K03
The Society of Greece and Rome
Published by kokosas
06-13-2008
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 85%
Classics 2K03

This class focuses on helping classics students understand the life and culture of your average Athenian or Roman. Daily life, religion, the family, athletics, architecture/lay out of the city, etc are looked at in depth. The textbook used for this course was actually written by two archeologists and therefore has a lot of pictures. It may sound silly but the pictures are so well done that it really gives you a better understanding of what is being taught to you.

The second half of the course focuses on 3 seperate works by ancient authors: Juvinal's Satires, 3 plays by Aristophanes and The Golden Ass by Apuleius. These are looked at in detail to help understand Roman and Athenian culture. Juvinal's satires attack Roman lifestyle, Aristophanes' plays attack the leaders of Athens and Sparta for starting a war with each other and Apuleius questions the morality of men and the ways of the gods.

Overall, the class material was very enjoyable although at points some of it was dry. Unfortunately, every class has its dry points.

Course Breakdown:
Midterm 1- 30%
Midterm 2- 30%
Final- 40%
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Classics 2K03!

Old 06-18-2008 at 01:31 PM   #2
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times
Really sucks for us classics majors that this course isn't offered this year at All except for the second semester of this summer
Old 06-18-2008 at 02:27 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times
Yeah, this is one of those courses that is only offered every other year. I wanted to take 2LC3 and 2LD3 (Hist Ancient Rome) last year but had to settle for 2LA3 and 2LB3 instead (Hist Ancient Greece).

Old 06-18-2008 at 02:35 PM   #4
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times
Ya reeeeally sucks that they'd do that seeing as there are so few third and forth level courses available as it is..I think only six are available second year! I heard that there's a staffing shortage..but still... :(
Thanks for explaining that though!

Old 06-18-2008 at 02:41 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Trust me, I feel your pain about this.
I nearly had a fit when I saw how many courses are 'not offered' for third year this year. Out of the 5 I intended on taking, 1 was offered.

We do have a staffing problem, all of the faculty does, and a lot of our profs are sessional profs so coming in Sept we might be faced with a problem if they strike. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Xeno says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 09-02-2008 at 03:17 PM   #6
Xeno

Liked: 0 Times
3mb3
Sabrina,

Just lurking around the course descriptions. I recognized your name and I see you're on my class list for 3MB3. I look forward to meeting you. I'm hoping this class will be a good experience for everyone!

Alexandra Holbrook
Old 09-03-2008 at 10:50 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Awesome!! I'm looking forward to that class! See you there!

Old 09-07-2010 at 09:09 AM   #8
chiuc2

wondering about the midterms
I was wondering what kind of questions are on the midterms/exams?
Is it essay type questions or multiple choice?

Thanks!
Caren
Old 12-22-2012 at 09:46 AM   #9
jocelyn200

anyone know if this will be offered next year?
Old 09-06-2014 at 09:24 AM   #10
Bonhomme

Would love to know anything about the midterms and exams for this course.
Old 12-18-2014 at 11:08 AM   #11
ruirui

I took this course last year (2013) with Prof. Haley!

His breakdown (I think; don't remember exactly) was approximately 5-10% test, 35-40% midterm, 50-60% final. I got a 12 in the course despite failing the first test so...yeah; take from that what you will ._.

It's kinda hard to describe this course but basically, its easy if you're fast at taking notes (because, for us, there was no podcast, PPT, or even an Avenue page!) or have excellent short-term memory, and are good at remembering the little details (i.e. anything he mentioned in lectures or in the textbook).

If not - invest in a voice recorder, 3 hours a week to listen to it, and a friend/roommate/any human being to quiz you like crazy.

Midterms/Final: MC, T/F, short answer (like, one word)

For us, on the midterm, he gave a list of like 40 questions, and we had to answer 20 (or something like that). The final was exactly the same format as the midterm only a bit longer.

We basically had 3 hours for the midterm and final, but practically everyone was done within the hour so it was very manageable.

Hope this help people! This class was kinda stressful if you don't like being given a list of facts and told to memorize and recite it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and was happy with the outcome ^^

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search