MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Housing? kuruczpa Residence & Housing 2 09-17-2010 09:52 AM
About Timetables And Housing Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-09-2010 08:26 PM
Help! (Housing) Greco General Discussion 10 07-29-2009 11:59 PM

CO-OP and Housing

Old 09-06-2012 at 08:02 PM   #1
polkadotted

Liked: 0 Times

CO-OP and Housing
I was just wondering what people who are in a co-op program right now are doing for their living situation. I am considering co-op for next year and I'm trying to plan ahead what I will do if I get in and if I don't get in. If I do get in, for example, I don't want to sign another 12-month lease for the place I'm currently living in. This is obviously assuming I don't get a placement in Hamilton, which is a possibility too. It would be nice to hear what some of you guys have done.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2012 at 09:45 PM   #2
polkadotted

Anyone? :( Pleaseeee.
Old 09-09-2012 at 09:53 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

If you apply for say residence then just talk to housing. If landlord let them know ahead of time before you sign
Old 09-09-2012 at 10:41 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

If I got a co-op, I end up paying 2 rents since I am on a 12 month lease (although for the other place you rent on a month by month or sublet) but there isn't much you can do.
Old 09-10-2012 at 08:16 AM   #5
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

If you can find a job in time, you can get residence give you a refund on the 2nd semester. This includes a meal plan refund as well. You just need the co-op office to send them an official confirming it.

Even if you can't find a job by the deadline you need to tell residence, I would probably get the refund anyway. It's probably easier to look for a place close enough to your workplace than it is to look for a job where you can still live in residence.
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:54 AM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

As per ontario law if you are renting out a room for a 12 month contract your lease automatically transitions to a month-by-month basis at the end of that 12 months. Unless you are evicted (which court would have to rule a proper eviction) you only pay month to month. Your landlord cannot legally make you sign a new contract at the end of the 12 months. In my case where ive been at a house for two years so I simply gave 2 months notice and left.
Old 09-10-2012 at 07:10 PM   #7
mac.help

The advantages gained from co-op (relevant work experience, networking, money) far outweigh any disadvantages of going into co-op (having to find sublets, time looking for jobs)... Co-op opens opportunities that would otherwise be difficult to attain via summer student internships. Even though I signed 12-month leases, I was able to find 4-month sublets for my co-op terms because there're always people looking for places to live (and not necessarily just students).
Old 09-10-2012 at 08:14 PM   #8
chocolatlait

Yep that's right all right
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:11 PM   #9
polkadotted

Thanks, guys!