MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Action Required-Sectioning Conflict amyshi Academics 13 08-10-2010 01:02 PM
Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC) sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-03-2010 08:31 PM
Table Tennis Club back in action Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 07-04-2009 09:46 PM

College pro or 'action go'

Old 09-28-2009 at 10:47 AM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I was always suspicious of this company as well.
I wish they weren't allowed to go around in lecture halls and talk about the company directly to students like this. It feels like it's being promoted by the university, which makes it feel like a safe bet.
Old 09-28-2009 at 11:02 AM   #17
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I was always suspicious of this company as well.
I wish they weren't allowed to go around in lecture halls and talk about the company directly to students like this. It feels like it's being promoted by the university, which makes it feel like a safe bet.
I agree, I wish the university wouldn't let them waste our lecture time.
Old 09-28-2009 at 02:05 PM   #18
glock_23
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

STAY AWAY from these kind of companies. That includes the new "MDP" company that you guys have probably seen in the student centre. These are too good to be true, and the results they tell you that people have achieved are outstanding results, and you wont get any close to what you're making.

I worked with one of these scam companies last year, they promised me $18,500 in my account by the end of the summer, I made less than $900 in 4 months BEFORE all the expenses.

Especially stay away from the Management Development Program, that is the one that swindled me. You'll see MDP handing out flyers in class saying "get out of debt now!" ya right.......I have NEVER been in debt in my entire university career until I worked for those asses.

Be smart guys, you need money? Get a part time job. I've been applying off the hook to many places, and I'm definitely going to get a paper route. Don't be swindled into these scam companies. They overwork you and then take way too much royalty.

In fear of being sued by the company I worked for, I don't want to say anything else. If you want to find out about how badly they swindled me, just throw me a private msg.

BlakeM, J-Met, Kathy2, Lois, sew12 all say thanks to glock_23 for this post.
Old 09-28-2009 at 03:38 PM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I worked for one of these student-based companies this past summer (won't mention the name) and I hated it. My advice is always do some research on an employer before you accept a job.

MENTION THE NAME!! Let us know!
Old 09-28-2009 at 08:02 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

If you search "College Pro Scam" on Google, you'll find a lot of stuff.
Also, I found their Youtube channel. Their main page has some negative comments. Their videos have no comments (I assume they were all negative and thus deleted)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CollegePro9

There's a bunch of reviews here
http://college-pro-painters.pissedconsum er.com/
Old 09-28-2009 at 11:47 PM   #21
glock_23
Account Disabled by User

So since everybody on this post has had a bad experience or knows of someone who has had a bad experience with these painting franchise scams, lets say NO to them. If you see these idiots passing around a recruitment clipboard in the lecture, write down a big "SCAM" or "IM NOT A FOOL" on it. They shouldnt be allowed in our lecture halls, or be able to litter their flyers in them either. Tell your friends to stay away from them also.

We pay craploads of money to come to school here and they want to prey on our desperate need for money. It's absolutely sickening.

Like I said, I had an absolutely awful summer with one of these painting companies of which I am now in severe debt for. I slaved all day, 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Ive maxed out my credit card, have all but $3 in my chequing account until I find a part-time job. So for now, Im living off of canned food and sliced bread. The only money I have to buy groceries with is the big ass jar of dimes, nickels, and pennies Ive saved for the past year.

I hadnt finished a painting project before the summer's end because a difficult customer had refused to pay me. My boss calls me a few days ago demanding to know when I would get it done. I told him "I have better things to worry about right now, like where Im going to find my next meal". He then told me that wasn't his problem. Just goes to show what kind of bums work for these companies.

And a here's a little more info on the MDP company that you might see in the student centre. Their REAL name is University First Class Painters. Since their recruitment was low last year, they decided to disguise themselves as another company that offers manager training and all sorts of other empty promises. Other aliases that MDP goes under is also Elite Trade Painting, and H20 Window Cleaning. They're really trying hard to get their recruitment up this year, I guess they're hungry for our great work ethic and potential money we can make them.

STAY AWAY from them!!! Who could we appeal to to not allow them in our school anymore? A petition maybe? Let's hear some thoughts!

Kathy2 says thanks to glock_23 for this post.

ladyh, lawleypop like this.
Old 09-29-2009 at 11:05 AM   #22
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

wow all of these stories are terrible! we should do something to inform everyone on campus about these!
Old 09-29-2009 at 04:37 PM   #23
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I did painting with them and I couldn't wait until the summer was over - NOT a good job and a total pyramid scheme. I was desperate for a job so I was stuck with it. I ended up only making enough money to cover my summer expenses. Do not recommend
But if you didn't work there, I wouldn't have ever have met you. <3

temara.brown likes this.
Old 09-29-2009 at 09:25 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastura View Post
So since everybody on this post has had a bad experience or knows of someone who has had a bad experience with these painting franchise scams, lets say NO to them. If you see these idiots passing around a recruitment clipboard in the lecture, write down a big "SCAM" or "IM NOT A FOOL" on it. They shouldnt be allowed in our lecture halls, or be able to litter their flyers in them either. Tell your friends to stay away from them also.

We pay craploads of money to come to school here and they want to prey on our desperate need for money. It's absolutely sickening.

Like I said, I had an absolutely awful summer with one of these painting companies of which I am now in severe debt for. I slaved all day, 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Ive maxed out my credit card, have all but $3 in my chequing account until I find a part-time job. So for now, Im living off of canned food and sliced bread. The only money I have to buy groceries with is the big ass jar of dimes, nickels, and pennies Ive saved for the past year.

I hadnt finished a painting project before the summer's end because a difficult customer had refused to pay me. My boss calls me a few days ago demanding to know when I would get it done. I told him "I have better things to worry about right now, like where Im going to find my next meal". He then told me that wasn't his problem. Just goes to show what kind of bums work for these companies.

And a here's a little more info on the MDP company that you might see in the student centre. Their REAL name is University First Class Painters. Since their recruitment was low last year, they decided to disguise themselves as another company that offers manager training and all sorts of other empty promises. Other aliases that MDP goes under is also Elite Trade Painting, and H20 Window Cleaning. They're really trying hard to get their recruitment up this year, I guess they're hungry for our great work ethic and potential money we can make them.

STAY AWAY from them!!! Who could we appeal to to not allow them in our school anymore? A petition maybe? Let's hear some thoughts!

As "wrong" as it probably is, I agree that writing "SCAM" on those clipboards in lectures is a good idea. I don't want other students to fall for this stuff. They usually only go around to first year classes.

Thanks for letting us know about the name change. I knew University First Class Painters was shady, but I didn't know they were the same people as MDP.
Old 09-29-2009 at 09:32 PM   #25
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The thing that bugs me is that they take advantage of first years who probably don't know any better. In first year, I've heard 5-6 advertisements for College Pro/First Class. Even in my large second year classes, I didn't even hear any advertisements except for a crappy voluntourism thing. :|
Old 09-29-2009 at 11:25 PM   #26
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
MENTION THE NAME!! Let us know!
I don't want to say who it is, for fear of legal action from the company (sounds stupid I know, but coming from them it wouldn't surprise me). I think I have you on Facebook so take a look under Work Info on my profile. If anybody else wants to know more they can send me a private message.
Old 09-29-2009 at 11:46 PM   #27
glock_23
Account Disabled by User

Im so happy that people are becoming informed of this. This is exactly what I wanted to happen, is the sharing of important information like this. We are a community of students who should look out for each other.

I don't have regrets in life, but signing on to a painting franchise has been the only regret of mine.

Let's take em' down!
Old 09-30-2009 at 05:54 PM   #28
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Petition to ban these companies from advertising on campus?

Anyone know the right people that we'd need to contact and stopping these companies from being allowed to advertise on campus. Could Vishal, or other people in charge of the MSU possibly talk to higher ups at the University about it?

Obviously these companies are a huge scam and not enough students read MacInsiders to find out this kind of information. They definitely prey on first years (I remember the clipboards and flyers from then but I've never seen them in an upper year class).

I think it would be great if the University took action against banning unethical companies like this from being able to prey on their students.
Old 09-30-2009 at 07:54 PM   #29
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

I never see them anymore in second and third year classes, but I'm taking both first year econs this year, and they have come by. What sucks is that people were signing up for it! Lots of people! I usually sit in the very back row so whenever it reaches me I usually just toss it somewhere on the ground behind my chair. But writing "scam" might work better, and send the message to people.
Old 09-30-2009 at 09:15 PM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
I never see them anymore in second and third year classes, but I'm taking both first year econs this year, and they have come by. What sucks is that people were signing up for it! Lots of people! I usually sit in the very back row so whenever it reaches me I usually just toss it somewhere on the ground behind my chair. But writing "scam" might work better, and send the message to people.
I doubt I'll ever encounter them again in my classes but if I do I'll be writing SCAM in huge letters across the sign up sheet. If I ever get a flyer I'll rip it up in front of them.

Seriously first years (and others) should not be scammed into this garbage.