MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer from college? Leibniz Academics 6 09-26-2010 09:17 PM
Action Required-Sectioning Conflict amyshi Academics 13 08-10-2010 01:02 PM
Coldex Fridge Policy - Action Now! (from the IRC) sarrah66 MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-03-2010 08:31 PM
Table Tennis Club back in action Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 07-04-2009 09:46 PM

College pro or 'action go'

Old 09-30-2009 at 10:03 PM   #31
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Hey everyone thanks a lot for the imput! I was actually wondering myself how come this company is allowed to advertise to the University (especially first years), so I seriously suggest talking to someone like Vishal about it. The thing is they kinda press your buttons (everyone needs money right?), and get you hooked on that way. But yeah typing in college pro scam in google really helps!!!
Old 09-30-2009 at 11:29 PM   #32
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

im in first year and they came to pretty much all of my classes. it sounded sketchy to me so i just passed the sheet on to the next person, but i wish i had known all this, i could have ripped up the sheet in class.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:00 PM   #33
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Maybe some students could start talking to professors about not allowing these companies to speak in their lecture. If Professors knew that these companies were scamming students I'm sure they wouldn't be so apt to allow them to speak during their lecture.
Old 10-01-2009 at 06:54 PM   #34
Kayla.Hurst

Liked: 0 Times

I wish I would have come across this sooner…

I am a MAC student in my second year and I worked with College Pro this past summer and will be working again with them this coming summer. I agree that there are definitely some scam companies out there, but College Pro is not one of them! Yes, it is a lot of hard work but a lot of what was mentioned above is inaccurate and situational. Personally, I had an amazing experience and learned things I would have never learned from a different job. I can honestly say I am a different person after this summer (I used to be extremely shy!!!). Also, I know of a guy who applied for a job in a deli with this on his resume and his starting salary was higher than others just because running your own business teaches you skills that other jobs don’t.

What they tell you in the presentations about being able to make $10 000 is true. But it isn’t “too good to be true”. You do have to work for it and you will work hard, but the fact it its available for you to make it and the company gives you the skills to be able to. Your “superiors “work very hard, its up to you tho to ask them for the help you need.

Basically, do your research. If a company is legit you’ll be able to tell. Visit their website, if they don’t have one, well, that should tell you enough. College Pro isn’t for everyone but it definitely isn’t a scam. And it really sucks that it’s getting lumped in with companies that might be.

Alexander, if your interested, College Pro has a website (gotoaction.com) and I can message you on facebook if youd like. Let me know.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2009 at 07:35 PM   #35
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I was just a painter when I did it. I worked my butt off that summer and still didn't make anything. Our 'manager' was hardly there and often left us stranded without proper materials. There were many times where I was working by myself on a site in very unsafe conditions. If anything were to happen and if I were to fall, I would be stuck there by myself. It was a bad experience for me and yet I can imagine he walked away with some good cash. Still do not recommend.
Old 10-01-2009
Kayla.Hurst
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-01-2009 at 07:55 PM   #36
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla.Hurst View Post

I am a MAC student in my second year and I worked with College Pro this past summer and will be working again with them this coming summer. I agree that there are definitely some scam companies out there, but College Pro is not one of them! Yes, it is a lot of hard work but a lot of what was mentioned above is inaccurate and situational. Personally, I had an amazing experience and learned things I would have never learned from a different job. I can honestly say I am a different person after this summer (I used to be extremely shy!!!). Also, I know of a guy who applied for a job in a deli with this on his resume and his starting salary was higher than others just because running your own business teaches you skills that other jobs don’t.

What they tell you in the presentations about being able to make $10 000 is true. But it isn’t “too good to be true”. You do have to work for it and you will work hard, but the fact it its available for you to make it and the company gives you the skills to be able to. Your “superiors “work very hard, its up to you tho to ask them for the help you need.

Basically, do your research. If a company is legit you’ll be able to tell. Visit their website, if they don’t have one, well, that should tell you enough. College Pro isn’t for everyone but it definitely isn’t a scam. And it really sucks that it’s getting lumped in with companies that might be.

Alexander, if your interested, College Pro has a website (gotoaction.com) and I can message you on facebook if youd like. Let me know.

Cheers
Why is it that bad experiences are only "situational" but good ones aren't?

In 2 pages, only one person has had something good to say about this company. If it's not a good company, it's not a good company. Simple. That's not situational.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-01-2009 at 08:23 PM   #37
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

Cheers
Sorry, my girlfriend worked for one of these painting guys for about 2 weeks... he wasn't accountable at all. I personally have never heard anything good about College Pro or any of these companies.

It may not technically be a scam or illegal, but the risk factor is HUGE. No student should be willing to take on this amount of risk... so it's obvious that the risks aren't delivered to potential workers when they're evaluating working for these companies. Big numbers like $10 000 summers are exceptional... and are not technically misadvertising simply because 1% of the workers end up being that successful.

My advice: get a real job... if you want to start your own business, do it yourself... don't go for these outlandish risky franchises.
Old 10-01-2009 at 09:45 PM   #38
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

Cheers
Sorry.. but I don't believe this for a second. Look at all the complaints on the web by various people. Then someone comes on this forum, makes a user account specifically to post ONE comment about how great the company is. I'm not buying it..
Old 10-01-2009 at 09:57 PM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Sorry.. but I don't believe this for a second. Look at all the complaints on the web by various people. Then someone comes on this forum, makes a user account specifically to post ONE comment about how great the company is. I'm not buying it..
It says they joined last year. o_O But yea, just 1 post is weird.

Old 10-01-2009 at 10:52 PM   #40
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Hey everyone thanks a lot for the imput! I was actually wondering myself how come this company is allowed to advertise to the University (especially first years), so I seriously suggest talking to someone like Vishal about it. The thing is they kinda press your buttons (everyone needs money right?), and get you hooked on that way. But yeah typing in college pro scam in google really helps!!!
If they have a table in the student center it is paid for. MUSC charges all vendors to rent space. That is something that could be lobbied through the MSU, most likely. Instead of talking to Vishal, why don't you guys talk to the SRA? They have more power than Vishal does, technically.

As for other areas on campus, I'm not too sure. I have a feeling it would come under soliciting, which isn't allowed. People who don't have a contract with MUSC aren't allowed to pass things out in MUSC, so I would assume that it would be similar elsewhere on campus. If someone wants to contact security that may be a good place to start.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-01-2009
jessicayu
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-02-2009 at 12:41 AM   #41
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicayu View Post
Later, we found out that there were over 2000 applicants for these limited spots.
WOAH I stopped believing this after I read that!

Seriously?

Soooo you made an account; made a LONG LONG post on Macinsiders just to support the your company. WOW you really love them I guess :S I only wish other workers had such strong & loyal views about their employers!

A facebook search reveals nothing as well!

I really apologize if you are actually saying the truth but this looks sort of wierd to my spidey sense: The 2000 applicants part :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-02-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2009 at 12:49 AM   #42
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

Seriously?

Soooo you made an account; made a LONG LONG post on Macinsiders just to support the your company. WOW you really love them I guess :S I only wish other workers had such strong & loyal views about their employers!

I really apologize if you are actually saying the truth but this looks sort of wierd to my spidey sense: The 2000 applicants part :S
Yeah can't say I'd be that happy after painting houses for a whole summer.
Old 10-02-2009 at 12:49 AM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

Seriously?

I feel like someone from this company actually has the job of looking for forums with negative posts about college pro, making accounts, and up-selling these scams.

Because everytime someone supports them, it's a new account with one post.

Absolutely full of shit.