MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between a Major and a Combined degree AwS92 Academics 4 06-02-2011 05:54 AM
Combined Honours Help!!! J. Dorey Academics 4 06-01-2011 12:07 AM
Combined Honours J. Dorey Academics 5 05-30-2011 09:18 PM
art sci combined honours Mango99 Academics 2 05-22-2011 11:45 PM
Combined Honours Help!!! AztekEscobar Academics 1 03-23-2011 08:02 AM

Combined Honours Vs. Double Major

Old 07-17-2011 at 05:47 PM   #1
callmeliz

Liked: 0 Times

Combined Honours Vs. Double Major
Hey guys, this is just a general question. What's the difference between a combined honours and a double major? Or are they the same? Is there one that's "favoured" more than the other?

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:08 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at McMaster, combined honours = a double major

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:14 PM   #3
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Im pretty sure that a combined degree is exactly that; 2 degrees combined into one. A double major is two degrees which are completely separated from one another. The only way you can do a double major is by literally completing 4 years of one program and than coming back to Mac again for another 4 year program to get your 2nd degree. Someone can correct me if I am completely wrong.

A combined degree gives you knowledge in both areas of the subjects of which you choose to study but does not go into complete depth in both of them. A double major gives you significant knowledge in both subjects you wish to study

As for which one is better that depends on what you want to do. I was also wondering about this as I was thinking about doing a combined Honours degree in Economics and Geography or just a degree in Honours Economics. In the end I chose the Honours Economics program since I was scared that a combined degree (in my case) would limit my options in the future.

Last edited by amare : 07-17-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:16 PM   #4
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

logically, it should be the same thing
Old 07-17-2011 at 07:07 PM   #5
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Not necessarily I'm doing a double major but in 6 years. I believe that you just to complete a certain amount of units for your second major. I can't remember what the associate dean told me. But I would recommend talking to them. I'm sure they'll be willing to help you out. The number of units you have to complete is dependent on whether it's a bachelors or honors.
Old 07-17-2011 at 07:10 PM   #6
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Actually it is 30 more units for bachelors and 60 for honors on top of the other degree you'll be recieving.