MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a hard semester for a first year? davied Academics 12 06-26-2011 09:04 PM
How hard is it to transfer from Social Science I to Commerce II? ABCDXYZ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 04-14-2011 08:25 PM
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
French 2nd Year (how Hard Is 2g03?) ms. mandazi Academics 2 09-26-2008 11:36 AM

Is Commerce First Year Really Hard?

Old 06-20-2012 at 10:28 PM   #1
Sadi

Is Commerce First Year Really Hard?
IS COMMERCE FIRST YEAR REALLY HARD????
Kay so I am a first year commerce student and I need help with electives. I need 15 units in total if any of you could plzzz tell me if there are any electives available for commerce I students that are really easy, cuz I really need to get a high GPA so I can get into Level II.
Old 06-20-2012 at 10:29 PM   #2
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

nope. but second year is !
Old 06-20-2012 at 11:12 PM   #3
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

The commerce program and difficulty is largely contingent on what career route you intend on choosing. If it's accounting be prepared for a hellish fourth year. Other than that it's a relatively easy program and it can be a bit boring.
Old 06-20-2012 at 11:40 PM   #4
cessyy

Liked: 1 Time

There isnt really much you do revolving commerce in 1st year. There is com sci, a couple of econs, and a single commerce course, and all these courses are pretty much a walk in the part. I did great, so I'm sure you will do too!

As for second year, I heard its going to be a lot harder then, but for now you have nothing to worry about! Relax and take lots of bird courses like peace studies, health age, theatre and film etc.
Old 06-21-2012 at 01:07 AM   #5
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

not sure how into science you are, but a great first year elective to take is astron 1f03
it is an astronomy course, which requires no required knowledge in science (except maybe advanced functions and possibly gr.11 physics). It is mostly qualitative and requires little to no math
its mostly just lectures with what ill admit are some hard homework sets because the prof didnt explain the stuff well, but if you work with 2 or 3 friends youll be golden

and on the business side of things; from what ive heard, as long as you dont open the book for the first term the day before the exam it shouldnt be too bad

cheers and gratz on choosing mac
Old 06-21-2012 at 02:46 AM   #6
Salik

Liked: 32 Times

Commerce first year is half electives, and the mandatories are kind of like electives too....the only required course in my opinion is commerce 1E03, which will be your heaviest course in terms of the group work and weekly homework assignments/readings etc.

Prepare for cheesecake midterms, and rockcake exams (microecon and comp sci *cough*)

My mandatories were:
Math 1M03: great proff, easy tests and final
Comp sci 1BA3: Booooooooooooring, useless, boring, useless, r*p* exam but bellcurved
Econ 1b03: boring but easy, r*p* exam
Econ 1bb3: Amazingly interesting, moderate effort required
Commerce 1E03: Heavy, scary proff, easy midterms and final, killer group project, VERY interesting

My electives were:
Psych 1x03: Moderate, only take if you are interested in psychology
Linguistics 1a03: easy, only take if you are willing to put in an effort to learn something you have never before
Philosophy 1b03: cake, only take it if you need cake and if you want something interesting..#win#win
Labour studies 1c03: easy, great tutorials but boring concepts
Health age 1bb3: easy, Killer boring, only take if you are obsessed with old people, fun discussions
Old 06-21-2012 at 07:04 AM   #7
tfcfan01

Liked: Liked 5 Times

First year commerce overall is fine. First semseter is pretty basic, expect to work harder 2nd semester. 2nd year is the painful year though.

Electives I'd recommend to do well in are Geo 1HB3 or 1HA3, Labour studies 1C03 (pretty dull though)
Old 06-21-2012 at 09:29 AM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Is first year commerce difficult... you really couldnt find more of a bird program at mcmaster. Enjoy sleeping through classes!!!
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:14 AM   #9
Rich0591

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Oh yes...listen to the engineer.
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:21 AM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Oh yes...listen to the engineer.
Dude everyone knows that the commerce program is the main target for faculty jokes. Not saying its not going to get you a good career, but the work is just really easy. maybe not to you guys, but general concensus is that if your looking for a bird elective, head to the business faculty!
Old 06-21-2012 at 12:21 PM   #11
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found commerce is extremely easy first year but does get harder second year, which catches a lot of people off guard. First year is easy because there are soo many businesses courses in high school that can't be made prerequisites, they assume No prior knowledge in any course, so they start from the basics.

If you take tons of business courses in high school, expect the first half of each semester to be a repeat of what you learned, then you get into new stuff
Old 06-21-2012 at 12:36 PM   #12
Phaint0m
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Don't get too caught up in everyone saying its "easy". Nothing at University is easy. Do the work and get your grade. If you start believing things are "easy" you won't put in the time and everything requires the time to be put in.
Old 06-21-2012 at 12:41 PM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

1st year commerce is... Sure you have to study a bit, but the concepts are so basic, and the math in the business and econ courses are so simple that anyone can do them. I dont doubt that the upper years get more difficult, the second year course i took as an elective definitely had some more confusing topics, but again, I didnt need to go to class, and the only work that was ever put in was maybe 3 nights of studying before tests to pass with a pretty high mark.