MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone please guide me through the school's terrible course registration process TheZProjekt Academics 2 07-10-2011 10:48 AM
terrible tuesdays jordan19 Academics 17 08-20-2010 02:06 PM
Terrible Signature Restrictions? RoyK Computers & Tech 1 07-11-2010 08:28 PM
TERRIBLE experience at Gino's sniderj General Discussion 32 02-02-2010 09:07 AM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM

Commuting: terrible hassle or what :S

Old 08-03-2011 at 04:36 PM   #16
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

thanks everyone, appreciate it
and to answer andrew, i came to mac not because it was closer or anything but because it is a good school
Old 08-03-2011 at 07:19 PM   #17
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
I completely agree that this should already have been thought out, but you gotta remember that some of these kids are 17! i certainly wasn't as mature then as I am now.
I was 16 when I started look at this stuff, 17 when I had it figured out (and then we ended up moving to Hamilton, so the Oakville commute planning was not necessary in the end anyway), and 18 now...
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:35 PM   #18
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It depends.
Now, a lot of people will say commuting isn't that bad. But I found it to be a real pain. I did better in school when commuting but I hate the experience. The GO Buses are fun until you get pushed out of line, or shoved or fall due to unruly crowds and have to stand, or go super early to wait for a seat.

My commute was from Square One to McMaster for the first 11 months of university, and then Streetsville to McMaster these past 3 months.

Here's why it's a headache:
15 minutes to Square One from my house.
A minimum 10 minute wait for the bus.
I usually take a regular bus (not an express) so that takes about 50 minutes.
Go to class about 10 minutes earlier (if you're lucky)

That's 85 minutes right there.

Now, 50 minutes going back, 10 minutes waiting at the bus stop, 15 minute ride back to my house, a total of 75 minutes going back.

160 minutes per day, 2.67 hours wasted "on the bus" or "en route", not including the time you need to wind down after a commute like that.

Sure, you may read on the bus, or sleep on the bus, but it is quite hellish.

Since your commute is not that long, it should be better but it is still inconvenient, IMO and I wouldn't do it again.
Your problem is that you're on the 47. The 47 is just a dumpy bus route with a dumpy crowd, period. The experience is better--albeit not perfect-- were you to have taken the 15.

As for how bad it is, it varies. I found it to be hard at first, but then you get into a routine and it's easier. About an hour's trip each way for myself from Oakville GO to McMaster. I also found my work ethic to be a lot better when I was commuting, as I didn't have nearly as much time to study/dick around.

Old 08-03-2011 at 08:37 PM   #19
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I was 16 when I started look at this stuff, 17 when I had it figured out (and then we ended up moving to Hamilton, so the Oakville commute planning was not necessary in the end anyway), and 18 now...
Some people plan way ahead of time and some people don't, it's something called society.
Old 08-03-2011 at 08:42 PM   #20
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

To OP: just think about whether you can actually do the commute twice a day everyday. If not, then just find a place off-campus and pay rent.
Old 08-03-2011 at 09:37 PM   #21
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
hey guys, im going to mac first year this fall. i live in milton and unfortunately im gonna be commuting everyday. any ideas how to get there? advice is apppreciaateddd!

also, in reality, how much of a hassle is it to commute everyday?
Okay, so...from a person who actually lives in Milton.

Like I said, if you can get a ride/drive to Bronte carpool, it's not too bad of a commute.

I bring my breakfast and eat it on the bus (just make sure it doesn't smell, I HATE when I smell someone else's food on the bus). I also listen to music on the bus and never study, so for me it's a nice way to relax for 30 mins before I get to school.

Sure it gets annoying, but if you don't want to pay for a base in Hamilton then go for it.

drpatel says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

drpatel likes this.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:13 PM   #22
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I also listen to music on the bus and never study, so for me it's a nice way to relax for 30 mins before I get to school.
this, i use my commute to just relax and do nothing else, so when i get home, i don't need to relax for a bit, i can get straight to whatever it is i have to do
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:51 PM   #23
jayyenn

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I commute from Square One, and to be honest, it's not bad at all. May be a bit tiring for the first week but then you're use to it afterwards. (:
Old 08-11-2011 at 08:13 PM   #24
siddiquo

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Not a hassle at all. Kind of cold in the winter (obviously), but it's a good time to relax.