MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuting to WW missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-08-2011 04:01 PM
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
Commuting first year? dreamer21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-08-2010 09:50 AM
Anyone commuting from Brampton ????? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-06-2010 07:49 PM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM

Commuting from Toronto to MAC

Old 07-26-2011 at 11:08 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The train stops on campus?
/ignorant about all things GO
There's a bus straight from the campus GO station to Aldershot or Burlington scheduled to meet the train. (There's also a similar but separate bus from Hamilton GO for people who want to get off between Hamilton and Toronto)
Old 07-27-2011 at 12:00 AM   #17
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Oh, I'm sorry!
I misread the question LOL
I thought you would want to commute to Mac everyday... my badd
Old 07-27-2011
Chandlerowns
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-27-2011 at 02:12 PM   #18
HPgeeek

Liked: 0 Times

I commute the exact same way and what you can do it take the GO Bus Terminal located ON the Mac Campus right next to Mary E. Keyes. Take the 15 Bus to Burlington (or it may take you to Aldershot depending on the time of day; either is fine) it will leave you to the train and the train will take your straight to Union Subway Station. I suggest purchasing the 10-ride ticket to Union. You can purchase it at COMPASS, the information centre located in the Student Centre. Hoped this helped
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:52 AM   #19
wguan86

Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses!

So let me get this straight.. if I take the 15 go bus from the GO Bus Terminal located on the Mac Campus.... to Burlington..I can take the go train from there to Union Station. And that's all in the cost of the 10-ride ticket to Union..which is 80 dollars. Which means each route is $8?

What's the commute time from Mac to Union Station on way?

Anyone looking to carpool?
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:48 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguan86 View Post
Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses!

So let me get this straight.. if I take the 15 go bus from the GO Bus Terminal located on the Mac Campus.... to Burlington..I can take the go train from there to Union Station. And that's all in the cost of the 10-ride ticket to Union..which is 80 dollars. Which means each route is $8?

What's the commute time from Mac to Union Station on way?

Anyone looking to carpool?
Correct.

I think the bus/train takes 1-1.5 hours.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:08 PM   #21
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Correct.

I think the bus/train takes 1-1.5 hours.
That's about right.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is a QEW express bus from Hamilton GO to Union GO (or vice versa), which takes under an hour, dependant on traffic. Every time I've taken the express bus it's been ~45 minutes which is awesome, except for once when I took it during rush hour and the entire trip -- bussing to Hamilton GO + getting to Union GO -- took 2 hours.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:09 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
That's about right.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is a QEW express bus from Hamilton GO to Union GO (or vice versa), which takes under an hour, dependant on traffic. Every time I've taken the express bus it's been ~45 minutes which is awesome, except for once when I took it during rush hour and the entire trip -- bussing to Hamilton GO + getting to Union GO -- took 2 hours.
You could also save time by catching the GO bus at Main and Dundurn, it's like a 5-10 minute bus ride from McMaster.
Old 08-03-2011 at 10:18 AM   #23
wguan86

clarification
My other option is to take a QEW express bus from Main and Dundurn 9 which is a 15 minutes bus ride from MAC) .. which would take me to union station? How much does this us ride cost? Same 8 bucks a trip?

Which busy do I take to get to Main and Dundurn?
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:05 AM   #24
PEBBLES

Liked: 2 Times

commuting this Friday for Welcome day
I will be commuting to MAC this Friday for the first time from downtown Toronto. I think I'm going to try taking the QEW bus from Union Station. When I arrive at the Hamilton Go station which bus do I take to get to MAC? Also to arrive on campus by 0845 a m for Welcome Day what time should I catch the bus at Union Station?? Sorry but I come from a small community that does not have the GO trains or buses.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:29 AM   #25
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBBLES View Post
I will be commuting to MAC this Friday for the first time from downtown Toronto. I think I'm going to try taking the QEW bus from Union Station. When I arrive at the Hamilton Go station which bus do I take to get to MAC? Also to arrive on campus by 0845 a m for Welcome Day what time should I catch the bus at Union Station?? Sorry but I come from a small community that does not have the GO trains or buses.
If you're coming from Toronto to Hamilton on the QEW express, you can get off at the first stop ("Columbia College/McMaster Universty" is what most bus drivers annouce). You can either walk to McMaster (opposite direction to which the GO bus is going after you get off) or take a bus (i.e. 52 Dundas). The walk is fairly short, so I recommend this!

If you decide to leave from Hamilton's GO station... I believe don't think there are any buses there you can take directly (the 51 only runs during the school year). If you move onto King St. (near Jackson Square) you can catch one of the following: 1A, 5C, 52 or 10-B Line... I can't remember if there are any more...

The good news is that you're opposite of where traffic goes, so the bus ride is roughly an hour. You'll want to take the 7:30 bus... you'll get off the bus at the first possible stop around 8:17... then walk for about 10 minutes or so to Mac. If you wait to get off at the downtown GO, it'll be 8:25. A bus ride to Mac from there is about 15 minutes... so you might be late!
http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...rd/Table16.pdf

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 08-03-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:38 AM   #26
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguan86 View Post
My other option is to take a QEW express bus from Main and Dundurn 9 which is a 15 minutes bus ride from MAC) .. which would take me to union station? How much does this us ride cost? Same 8 bucks a trip?

Which busy do I take to get to Main and Dundurn?
From Main/Dundurn you'll take the 16 - QEW Express bus.
Cost? Depends... do you have the GO student ID? Do you have a 10 ride? Are you just buying a single ride? GO charges by distance, so the cost will be the same whether you take the bus or train... I use a student 10 ride (costs $80.75/10 rides) which I use for the train to get to Toronto and bus to Hamilton.
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:47 AM   #27
tylerearl

Liked: 6 Times

anyone know how to go from Milton to Mac?

what buses/routes etc

thanks
Old 08-03-2011 at 11:50 AM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerearl View Post
anyone know how to go from Milton to Mac?

what buses/routes etc

thanks
go to google maps, put in 1280 Main St W. Click directions, put in your address as the starting point and click directions again. Click the train icon and done.
Old 08-04-2011 at 02:21 AM   #29
bs92

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Some people like to go home every week, others don't like to go home at all. It's entirely preference. First year course load isn't that bad in my opinion. Plus if you know how to manage your time properly then you can go home every week despite the 2-4 hour commute every weekend.
I was able to go home most Fridays and be back Sunday night without much trouble. But jhan, I'm guessing that you and the people that run macinsiders have some influence over the transit authorities/MSU. Would it be possible to ask GO to install queues for the bus terminal on campus? On more than one occasion I found myself waiting hours to get on a bus (that comes every half hour) because I found myself on the wrong side of the crowd that mobs the bus door every time it comes.