MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Mechatronics Mgmt to Software Mgmt Level 2 kevcom Academics 12 10-20-2011 11:21 AM
Electrical Eng/Mgmt Textbooks Question Theashe Academics 2 08-20-2011 04:02 PM
Mechatronics & Mgmt OR Biomed Elec Eng (PLZ HELP!) patso29 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-09-2011 01:10 AM
Engineering Mgmt. Electives GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 05-20-2010 12:46 PM

Comp Eng and CompEng&Mgmt questions

Old 03-22-2012 at 02:28 PM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Comp Eng and CompEng&Mgmt questions
I need help from the Comp Eng students. CompEng&Mgmt students and some electrical students who have finish these programs in level 2 or are in there higher upper years. I am going into level 2 and i am about 75% set on Comp Eng. My issue is whether to take Mgmt with it. I am kinda interested in the idea that by taking Mgmt, I will graduate beyond a mere engineering degree. I have talk to a few who have taken Mgmt and I have received mixed reactions. There are people who love Mgmt, there are some who say they regret taking it. So I compared the workload for second year of both programs. I find that 2nd Comp Eng is rather hectic from looking at their timetable(with like 4 or 5 three-hour labs, 3 lectures etc. By the timetable, CompEng looks spread out, but some say not to be deceived by it. So my question is:
a)Which program is harder(content/workload,etc)?
b)The difficulty of the eng courses along with the mgmt/commerce courses?
c) How essential is the textbooks for the eng course, mgmt/commerce courses if you go into mgmt?
d)Can I use an older version of a textbook for any of these courses?
e)What courses must I watch out for, if i take 2nd year comp eng or 2nd year comp eng&mgmt?
f) What was your experience when you took one of these programs?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your assistance.
Old 03-22-2012 at 03:54 PM   #2
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

a. Both programs are same difficulty and same workload with the add-on that you are learning a bit about business. (Take mgmt if you want to be eng manager later on or something related, for people like me, I prefer the technical side of things and I hate meetings everyday)

b. Same thing, but some people like me can't waste one extra year on getting a commerce degree, I want to get experience which is more important in this industry. With 4 year comp and also taking a 16 month internship = 5 year program but I gained one year of important experience which means secure job when you graduate. With commerce you will do the same but takes 1 year longer if you want to do co-op. Note: Remember in this industry, technologies and methodologies move fast, so I don't waste a single moment.

c. Same textbooks, but different ones for mgmt. A lot of course, I barely used the textbooks, cause lecture notes are enough.

d. Every year profs change, if prof is nice enough he will use the older version. Your an engineer, go buy 20 dollar cheap international edition books online. Same thing.

e. 2nd year was uber chillz, 3rd and 4th year, you will get destroyed by some courses , be prepare to sleep in the lab. (In the end, I learned a lot from that course
and now its what I want to do for a career)

f. I knew what I wanted to do when I entered this program, but its a decision if you want to go into software or hardware based work. Both are doable with comp eng degree.

Best of luck in your future career!

Last edited by Bobby66 : 03-22-2012 at 03:59 PM.

lgdynasty says thanks to Bobby66 for this post.
Old 03-22-2012 at 04:36 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

on the note of management, many people who have taken it regret it and dropped it. it is going to be hard/lota work
Old 03-22-2012 at 06:47 PM   #4
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
d)Can I use an older version of a textbook for any of these courses?
e)What courses must I watch out for, if i take 2nd year comp eng or 2nd year comp eng&mgmt?
f) What was your experience when you took one of these programs?
d) Yes, in particular 2CI5/2CJ4, 2FH3, 2Z03, and 2EI5/3EJ4.
e) Fucking 2CI5. Every year, 1/3rd or more of the students fail this class and is a prereq for 3 other classes. By no means is this a difficult class. There's only enough time to cover a few examples in class, meaning you have to do work on your own, which many do not. Practice problems and you won't fail.
f) Fuck.

lgdynasty likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 01:36 AM   #5
muons

Liked: 84 Times

a)With management definitely. I would stay away from it, it's really time consuming from what I've seen.
b) Tests are usually on the same day/same week and you need to have amazing time management skills to do well.
d) For all engineering courses I find older versions are quite similar. Engineering doesn't seem to change much over the years...
e) Math 2z03/2zz3 and ECI5
f) Not in any of them, but a lot of my friends are! I'm in chem eng =)

Good luck!