MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Mac computer. gallagaj General Discussion 18 01-06-2011 07:31 PM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
need computer help Strongwiller General Discussion 4 12-03-2009 03:59 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

computer die... what do?

Old 06-05-2011 at 08:02 PM   #1
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

computer die... what do?
I know its possible to basically recover the data on my harddrive if the harddrive is intact... I was just wondering where I could have this done, and for the cheapest? And if possible, is there a way to do this myself?

(ASUS laptop; bios/os/etc not working because it suffered a... boo boo)
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:07 PM   #2
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

You'll probably be able to find a guide online with step-by-step instructions on opening up your laptop. Get the hard drive out, plug it in to a desktop like you would if you're installing a second HD, and you'll be able to recover everything.
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:16 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

http://eceplayground.com/2010/09/19/...0-traveler-es/

The Traveler ES in particular. I've used it, it works.
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:26 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
http://eceplayground.com/2010/09/19/...0-traveler-es/

The Traveler ES in particular. I've used it, it works.
I'll keep that in mind, failing finding the warranty
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:33 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Try 'Recuva' by Piriform. It worked for me when I needed it, do the deepest scan level though.
Old 06-05-2011 at 08:36 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Try 'Recuva' by Piriform. It worked for me when I needed it, do the deepest scan level though.
That is for recovering files once its deleted.

He is having a different problem.
Old 06-05-2011 at 10:18 PM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I've done some data recovery in the past. PM me and we can talk about the details.
Old 06-05-2011 at 10:36 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

buy an enclosure
Old 06-05-2011 at 10:37 PM   #9
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

drive swap != data recovery
your question has been answered, but that aside, i'd like to know; what happened exactly?
Old 06-05-2011 at 11:29 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
drive swap != data recovery
your question has been answered, but that aside, i'd like to know; what happened exactly?
I'm pretty careless with my laptop in general, but it took a tumble when I was carrying in my house.. it seemed fine at first, but then I lost all responsiveness from being able to preform an action (could still move the mouse pointer), but the OS/GUI (?) itself was frozen. I could intermittently do stuff, but I decided to restart it..

Then I was brought to a restore screen -- I had some important files that I hadn't backed up, so I decided that I should restart it again, hoping I could recover those before I did a factory reset... only it turns out my operating system no longer existed (corrupt?). It actually told me no operating system is installed. Now when I turn it on, it says the BOOTMGR is missing :(

I just find it weird how the software could mess up like this from a fall.
Old 06-05-2011 at 11:35 PM   #11
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'm pretty careless with my laptop in general, but it took a tumble when I was carrying in my house.. it seemed fine at first, but then I lost all responsiveness from being able to preform an action (could still move the mouse pointer), but the OS/GUI (?) itself was frozen. I could intermittently do stuff, but I decided to restart it..

Then I was brought to a restore screen -- I had some important files that I hadn't backed up, so I decided that I should restart it again, hoping I could recover those before I did a factory reset... only it turns out my operating system no longer existed (corrupt?). It actually told me no operating system is installed. Now when I turn it on, it says the BOOTMGR is missing :(

I just find it weird how the software could mess up like this from a fall.
IF the BOOTMGR is the only thing missing its an easy fix. As in your OS is still intact.

As for files, you can try using a linux live cd to recover files before you take out your hard drive and what not.
Old 06-06-2011 at 12:35 AM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

If you're near campus tomorrow, I have a recovery USB for exactly this issue that I can let you use, it's not a big issue at all and it'll only take a few mins to fix.

Edit:
I should probably rephrase this to be a little less optimistic. Your computer can't find your OS for some reason, it made be that there's a hardware issue, or that there's some sort of software issue (corrupt files, etc) if it's the latter it'll be an easy fix, if it's the former there's not much I can do to help.

Last edited by Tailsnake : 06-06-2011 at 12:40 AM.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 10:49 AM   #13
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I have a hard drive kit that you could use. It has things like sata to usb or esata to usb and ever other connection possible
Old 06-07-2011 at 05:28 PM   #14
Noraa

Liked: 0 Times

It really depends if your hard disk is damaged or not. If it is not damage, you can probably just plug it into another computer via cabling / docks to just pull the files out. If you did damage your hard disk, it depends on which part was damaged, if the readhead is damage, it will be an expensive and difficult ordeal to recover the data. If the disk is scratched, then some files might be corrupted but still readable. It mainly depends on the extent of your "boo boo"
Old 06-17-2011 at 12:30 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

I have to have my comp sent to the manufacturer so they can determine if I'm still eligible to be covered under the warrenty, so it'll be about 3 weeks until I can get my harddrive back to fiddle with.. staples says there is physical damage and it'll cost ~500$ to recover the files if they send it to a company in Toronto (clean room, professional business computer file recovery service)... :/

I'm not sure how qualified Staples' computer technicians are to diagnose this problem as it is... compared to somebody working for Best Buy or Futureshop.

Thanks for the offered help though!