MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFU or Mcmaster Computer Science mohit3907 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-07-2015 08:33 PM
Mcmaster Computer science Admission! tristannguyen Academics 12 02-24-2014 11:14 PM
McMaster Computer Science Society Mixer! Oct 27th julianface General Discussion 12 10-26-2011 12:50 PM
How is Computer Science [coop] at McMaster? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 05-28-2010 10:22 PM
#3 McMaster Men’s Basketball Team to Host #1 Carleton Raven’s Sammcmaster MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-27-2009 12:15 PM

Computer science McMaster or Carleton

Old 03-25-2016 at 11:46 AM   #1
Lighter

Liked: 0 Times

Computer science McMaster or Carleton
Hi,
I need to make a decision between McMaster and Carleton for computer science, and I was hoping to get some advice on which one has a stronger programme.

I've heard co-op is a lot harder to get into in McMaster. Is this true?
I also want to known which one has a harder course and if there is any point in going for the easier one. The course summaries seemed to be similar, are there any major differences?

Thank you.
Old 03-25-2016 at 01:23 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Search this site for 'software engineering', 'computer science, 'se', 'cs' and you'll find a lot of debate about mcmaster's computing and software department. CS and SE are very similar programs at mcmaster.

Co-op is optional, but don't know about harder in terms of getting into the program. Getting co-op position on the other hand depends more on your experiences, skills and portfolio (and if you're in a good school, such as waterloo )

I'm sure old GeorgeLucas will come around soon enough and share some more information with you

Lighter says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 03-25-2016 at 01:27 PM   #3
justicebeaver

Can other people edit their posts? I don't see any edit button anymore.

Anyway, go for one with better reputation and spend time learning on your own rather relying solely on courses to teach you.

Old 03-25-2016 at 01:42 PM   #4
Lighter

That is really what I have been trying to check on. In terms of reputation which school would be considered better for computer science.
Old 03-25-2016 at 02:23 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
I'm sure old GeorgeLucas will come around soon enough and share some more information with you
Am I that predictable?

Quote:
I need to make a decision between McMaster and Carleton for computer science, and I was hoping to get some advice on which one has a stronger programme.
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/ranking...kings-ctg-card

Carleton is at 8th place for Software Development, McMaster is at 18th. Since Comp Sci is usually built around Software Engineering departments, that should give you an idea. As McMaster's Soft Eng program is mediocre at best, so I would assume is the Comp Sci program.

Quote:
I've heard co-op is a lot harder to get into in McMaster. Is this true?
Why don't you just check the academic requirements for both programs to get an idea?

Quote:
I also want to known which one has a harder course and if there is any point in going for the easier one. The course summaries seemed to be similar, are there any major differences?
We go to McMaster, not Carleton, how would we be able to compare the actual course loads from two universities?

Lighter says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 03-26-2016 at 03:25 AM   #6
Lighter

Ranking sites throw up differing results depending on which one you are on.

I would really appreciate some input from students who are in/have graduated from Macmasters's cs programme. Does the small size of the programme (50 students each year) indicate the fact that it isn't an area of importance in McMaster?

McMaster clearly has a generally stronger reputation academically. The problem is that a large number of posts tend to state that the cs courses are not on par in terms of content and delivery. Many are old posts from 2010 and earlier. Would this still be relevant to the cs programme today in McMaster.

Thank you for taking the time to help. I need to choose between McMaster, York, Carleton and Guelp. For cs.
Old 03-26-2016 at 11:03 AM   #7
justicebeaver

Class sizes are getting bigger. Its no longer 50 kids in the entire program

A rough estimate would be 85ish in CS and 125ish in SE (currently in second year)