welcome week concerts evansj6 General Discussion 31 08-13-2008 08:33 PM

Concerts

Old 03-29-2011 at 11:57 AM   #16
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Anyone going to Warped this year? I've heard that a lot of people don't like the line up (thus far) but I think it's pretty fantastic!

Also SOUL SKA is THIS SATURDAY so come out to Club Absinthe if you're into ska!! Help me work the skank pit (Y)
I haven't liked the line-up for the last... three or four years, probably. A Day to Remember, Jack's Mannequin and The Dangerous Summer are the only ones in it this year that I listen to. A Day to Remember is so good live.

Don't know what "ska" is, let alone a "skank pit." I assume it's something like a mosh pit, which I also don't fully understand.

If you're going, let me know how it turns out. There are a lot of bands in there I've never heard of. The last time I went was 5 or 6 years ago, and I've heard the crowd has changed a lot since then. I don't care for large crowds or young teenagers (let alone large crowds of young teenagers), so I'm avoiding it, haha.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-29-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2011 at 01:00 AM   #17
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I haven't liked the line-up for the last... three or four years, probably. A Day to Remember, Jack's Mannequin and The Dangerous Summer are the only ones in it this year that I listen to. A Day to Remember is so good live.

Don't know what "ska" is, let alone a "skank pit." I assume it's something like a mosh pit, which I also don't fully understand.

If you're going, let me know how it turns out. There are a lot of bands in there I've never heard of. The last time I went was 5 or 6 years ago, and I've heard the crowd has changed a lot since then. I don't care for large crowds or young teenagers (let alone large crowds of young teenagers), so I'm avoiding it, haha.
Nooo skank pit is not a mosh pit! A skank pit is specific to ska music (it's sort of like reggae, but ska precedes it I think), and generally, people skank (it's like, kicking your feet out to the off-beats of the music) in a circle. It's known to not be violent (even though there have been skank pits where people like to push? hence defeating the purpose of the skank pit to begin with).

I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to Warped; I've been going for the past few years and while I agree that the line-up definitely is far from what it used to be, this year is not bad. I'm definitely going to see The Dangerous Summer, Jack's isn't even coming to Toronto so that's a bummer. I'm really going for the ska/reggae bands and some others
Ohhhh if you like TDS you /might/ like Go Radio; I find that the lead singers' voices are pretty similar, and their music also, though Go Radio is a little more poppy at times.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:45 AM   #18
allstarme

summer's a month in! what shows have you been to/will go to this summer?

continuing the ska updates that no one seems to need...
NOFX plays 2 shows
Streetlight Manifesto/Reel Big Fish tour hellllllyesss

stoked.
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:33 PM   #19
stevennn
Pro Lurker.

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
summer's a month in! what shows have you been to/will go to this summer?
Since April, I've seen:
Crystal Castles (Sound Academy)
Timber Timbre (Cenetary United Church)
The Rural Alberta Advantage (Phoenix Concert Theatre)
Merzbow (Horseshoe Tavern)
Portugal. The Man (Lee's Palace)

NXNE is coming up soon, there's a bunch of bands I want to see there. I'm also thinking about going to Montreal for Osheaga too.

allstarme likes this.
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:35 PM   #20
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Streetlight Manifesto sounds like it'd be a fun concert

I went to a Rammstein concert earlier this month (EPIC) at the ACC. I might go to a Matisyahu concert later this year

allstarme likes this.
Old 06-01-2011 at 10:30 PM   #21
allstarme

osheaga sounds sweeet, it's too bad toronto doesn't have music fests like that. i mean, yes we have nxne but if i were to choose between the two, my vote goes to osheaga

oh also i think the nxne kickoff is on june 16 and it's going to be free! yonge/dundas square
Old 06-05-2011 at 04:25 PM   #22
kevinlater

Liked: 10 Times

Stars is playing for free at Yonge & Dundas Square, who's going?
Old 08-05-2011 at 07:25 PM   #23
allstarme

DEAD BOARD BUT WHATEVER

Hey have you guys heard of Supercrawl?
It's a free music fest that happens in Hamilton and it's on Sep 10 (first Saturday after school starts). There are a ton of music acts and stuff, and even though it's not really my "scene" of music per se, it should be fun!

* Broken Social Scene
* Rah Rah
* Plants and Animals
* Basia Bulat
* J Mascis
* Olenka and the Autumn Lovers
* Rebekah Higgs
* Ba Johnston
* Young Rival
* Said the Whale
* Junior Boys
* Paley
* Francis
* COWLICK
* Ridley Bent
* Sarah Lowes
* Mayor Mcca
* Dinosaur Bones
* Dinner Belles

Even if you don't listen to any of these bands I'm thinking it should be fun to check out regardless!
Old 08-05-2011 at 07:35 PM   #24
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
DEAD BOARD BUT WHATEVER

Hey have you guys heard of Supercrawl?
It's a free music fest that happens in Hamilton and it's on Sep 10 (first Saturday after school starts). There are a ton of music acts and stuff, and even though it's not really my "scene" of music per se, it should be fun!

* Broken Social Scene
* Rah Rah
* Plants and Animals
* Basia Bulat
* J Mascis
* Olenka and the Autumn Lovers
* Rebekah Higgs
* Ba Johnston
* Young Rival
* Said the Whale
* Junior Boys
* Paley
* Francis
* COWLICK
* Ridley Bent
* Sarah Lowes
* Mayor Mcca
* Dinosaur Bones
* Dinner Belles

Even if you don't listen to any of these bands I'm thinking it should be fun to check out regardless!
I just blew my load.

Oh, and in October I'm going osee Portishead, which is going to be mindblowing

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 08-05-2011 at 09:25 PM   #25
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

Ted Nugent next week
Pearl Jam in September
Dream Theater in October
Yngwie Malmsteen in October?
Judas Priest in November?
Old 08-05-2011 at 10:23 PM   #26
enon

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I just blew my load.

Oh, and in October I'm going osee Portishead, which is going to be mindblowing
Yes, Portishead is playing Oct 9th at Sound Academy. I'd love to go, but I don't know anyone at Mac yet (incoming grad student) and have no idea if it would be possible to get back on campus using public transport on a Sunday night. Any ideas??!
Old 08-05-2011 at 10:54 PM   #27
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

I'm going to go see NKOTBSB tomorrow at Copps with friends so excited.
viva childhood.

allstarme likes this.
Old 08-05-2011 at 10:56 PM   #28
allstarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by enon View Post
Yes, Portishead is playing Oct 9th at Sound Academy. I'd love to go, but I don't know anyone at Mac yet (incoming grad student) and have no idea if it would be possible to get back on campus using public transport on a Sunday night. Any ideas??!
I did this multiple times throughout the year, though never on a Sunday night. There should be 2 ways back on GO transit.. 1) QEW Express Bus (which takes like 40 minutes), 2) no idea what it's called but it drops you off in Aldershot then a bus takes you back to Hamilton. And it doesn't go to Mac cause it's too late, so I just walked back to Mac from the closest stop (usu Main & Longwood). Doesn't take very long.

Orrrr you and jamescw1234 could roadtrip together and be show buddies! Music's all about bringing people together anyway right?
Old 08-06-2011 at 01:14 AM   #29
adam7takeo

Liked: 13 Times

Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish were amazing!!! I still feel like skanking haha
Old 08-06-2011 at 08:30 AM   #30
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by enon View Post
I'm going to the Monday night show, the last bus leaves to Toronto at 1:30 AM, I'll probably do that, or I might crash at my aunt's house. On Sunday there is also a 1:30 AM bus, the bad thing tho ugh about the 1:30 buses is that they aren't express, so they'll be stopping at GO train stations on the way to Hamilton making for a really long bus ride.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

enon says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.