MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching to life science from econ 2nd year rmfldkdtm Academics 1 11-02-2011 01:00 PM
Switching into Software Engineering from Computer Science julianface Academics 19 02-11-2011 09:10 AM
Switching to Health Science britb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 69 07-21-2009 11:33 PM
Switching To First Year Computer Science JakeWill Academics 2 04-18-2009 08:14 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM

Considering Switching To Science

Old 01-02-2012 at 08:53 PM   #1
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Considering Switching To Science
I was wondering if I can switch to Science sometime. I used to love science, then became an artsy, but now I wanna go back.

Are there any introductory courses here in McMaster? o_O; Or are all first year science classes full of stuff you had to learn in highschool?

Also, if I go with science, I don't know which I'd rather go for. I used to love Chemistry, but now I am considering Physics, regardless of all the math I'd have to deal with (even though I despise math). Or Engineering. Or something...but probably not biology.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:10 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There are introductory courses for students who have not taken any science in high school but you'll be playing a lot of catch up. I recommend speaking to an academic advisor because with no science as a background, you'll be starting from scratch and graduating in (at best) another 4 years. You'll probably be fine for electives, but required courses will be tough to juggle and it will take a lot of coordination.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 01-02-2012 at 09:11 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

From Multimedia to Science? Definitely not impossible but good luck! (Do what Bushra said ^^)
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:13 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
I was wondering if I can switch to Science sometime. I used to love science, then became an artsy, but now I wanna go back.

Are there any introductory courses here in McMaster? o_O; Or are all first year science classes full of stuff you had to learn in highschool?

Also, if I go with science, I don't know which I'd rather go for. I used to love Chemistry, but now I am considering Physics, regardless of all the math I'd have to deal with (even though I despise math). Or Engineering. Or something...but probably not biology.
Did you take any science courses in grade 12? If yes, you could see if you could get into the first year courses... you might have to seek permission as the seats are limited for people outside of the faculty. If you've not taken gr 12 science courses, I believe most of them have grade 12/11 equivalents (Check the course calendar for each department to see them). No idea about engineering but if you want to change faculties, I highly recommend that you speak with the science/engineering academic advisers.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:20 PM   #5
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
There are introductory courses for students who have not taken any science in high school but you'll be playing a lot of catch up. I recommend speaking to an academic advisor because with no science as a background, you'll be starting from scratch and graduating in (at best) another 4 years. You'll probably be fine for electives, but required courses will be tough to juggle and it will take a lot of coordination.
Well, after I finish Multimedia and graduate with an Honours Degree, I want to go for a Science degree. So yeah, it'll take me another 4 years after graduation just to do my science degree. I'll definitely speak to one of my advisers, but I want to make sure that it's possible.

Also, if I go for Physics, what kind of career choices can I expect?
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:24 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

You may want to consider loading up on science courses during the summers and trying for a Masters in Physics not to have to waste all that time + money and only have your undergrad degree. I'm not entirely sure, being only familiar with Chem + Bio myself, but a counsellor would be able to provide that information

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Jo Wai likes this.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:29 PM   #7
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Physics majors usually end up doing the same jobs that electrical/software engineers do...it's convincing the manager that you can do the job, which is the difficult part. Physics can also lead to research, but so can engineering. I'd rather go for engineering...multime dia and software or computer engineering would be a great combination, IMO

Also, maybe check out the new medical physics program! It sounds so amazing
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:31 PM   #8
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

I could potentially do that, if they offer any introductory courses in the summer. Where would I find the counsellor for the Sciences?
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:34 PM   #9
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
Physics majors usually end up doing the same jobs that electrical/software engineers do...it's convincing the manager that you can do the job, which is the difficult part. Physics can also lead to research, but so can engineering. I'd rather go for engineering...multime dia and software or computer engineering would be a great combination, IMO

Also, maybe check out the new medical physics program! It sounds so amazing
Well, I COULD do that. /hmmm.... And I have no intention of doing anything related to medicine, which is probably why I am having doubts about Chemistry, since the only profitable job (from my understanding) is pharmaceutical research.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:35 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

When you walk into BSB, instead of turning into BSB 147, go left to the Associate Dean of Science's office.
The hours are: Monday through Friday (1:00 to 3:30) drop in counselling

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AdelaisAer says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

AdelaisAer likes this.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:38 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Well, after I finish Multimedia and graduate with an Honours Degree, I want to go for a Science degree. So yeah, it'll take me another 4 years after graduation just to do my science degree. I'll definitely speak to one of my advisers, but I want to make sure that it's possible.

Also, if I go for Physics, what kind of career choices can I expect?
Are you trolling? This sound like an incredibly ridiculous idea.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:44 PM   #12
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Are you trolling? This sound like an incredibly ridiculous idea.
I am not trolling. >.>;
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:44 PM   #13
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Physics will eat your soul. I hope you're not serious.

Before making that decision, it would be wise to sample all of the first year sciences and see which subject you like the most.
Old 01-02-2012 at 09:53 PM   #14
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Physics will eat your soul. I hope you're not serious.

Before making that decision, it would be wise to sample all of the first year sciences and see which subject you like the most.

Ideally, I would like to do that, but each course costs money. So I'd rather talk to a counselor instead and hope they can give me insight, since I do have a little bit of knowledge in some of the sciences.
Old 01-02-2012 at 11:29 PM   #15
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Haha, this is funny, because I'm considering doing the exact opposite once I finish my science degree... contemplating going into film.

AdelaisAer likes this.