MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Health Science Katelyn999 General Discussion 6 10-24-2009 02:27 PM
Switching To First Year Computer Science JakeWill Academics 2 04-18-2009 08:14 AM
Switching from Social Science to Enviromental Science shirvan Academics 5 10-23-2008 09:58 PM
health science rakib Academics 5 05-12-2008 10:55 PM

Switching to Health Science

Old 07-10-2009 at 09:08 AM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Switching to Health Science
I want to try and get into Health Science II from Life Science I at the end of the year.

How difficult is the transition?
What’s the procedure? I know I need a B+, a nice supplementary and a ton of luck.
Speaking of the supplementary, any tips, especially for the university applicant one? Mine obviously wasn’t dazzling. :|
Will I still have enough elective for a minor?

And everything else that is slipping my mind.

Has anyone on here done this?
Old 07-10-2009 at 09:28 AM   #2
aani

Liked: 9 Times

:)
I transferred from Science to Health Sci last year (im now entering 3rd year).

I didnt think the transition was too bad...I would say it all depends on your learning style (if you're a textbook/lecture learner, the transition might be hard). The procedure is essentially that you choose this program as one of your options when the time comes (March-ish?)...and yup, you need the B+ and the supplementary.

In second year, you'll have only 2 elective spaces while everyone else will have 3. But I dont think that's a big deal, you'll have the same elective spaces as everyone starting 3rd year .

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:09 AM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

trust me, i wanted to do this before...

once your in first year and things get going, see how you like your program, the way its structured/works.

talk to some health sci people, see what theyre saying and whatever,

anyways, at the end of it i decided i didnt even like the health sci program haha.
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:13 AM   #4
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

i believe its a little more competitive than just a B+ average
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:17 AM   #5
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
trust me, i wanted to do this before...

once your in first year and things get going, see how you like your program, the way its structured/works.

talk to some health sci people, see what theyre saying and whatever,

anyways, at the end of it i decided i didnt even like the health sci program haha.
I agree. you may end up discovering that health sci is not for you at all. so, though keep healthsci in mind, also keep your options open for other programs
Old 07-10-2009 at 10:50 AM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Thanks guys. I'll make sure to shop around before I decide.

As for electives, I'm not opposed to going in summer a year, if it means I get my minor or overloading.

(I realize it's more than a B+, but I was just giving the official)

In case I do not get in or I decide to scrap the Health Sci idea all together, what Bio Honours porgrams would you guys suggest, given that I intend to try for med school? Aani, I'm especially interested in your opinion, since you've had experience.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:35 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I think it'll be like applying from high school, except with less seats open. I'm also thinking of switching, but leaving it merely as a possibility
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:43 AM   #8
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

I did it too and I'm going into third year (I wonder who aani is...hmmm).

I'd recommend looking into the required courses for all the majors you're interested in.

If the subject matter for health sci courses seems like something you'd be interested in (as I was: anatomy, epi, cell bio, etc. were great!) then definitely apply.

For your supp app. just drop all the cliche crap and try to show who you really are, and what makes you stand out.

There's a crapload more group work, so that's something you have to consider too.

That's all I have to say. Transferring is fun. You'll become good friends with your fellow transfers.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:48 AM   #9
Arnold

Liked: 0 Times

I wish you the best of luck Brit!

Arnold
-Health Science student
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:49 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Thanks guys. I'll make sure to shop around before I decide.

As for electives, I'm not opposed to going in summer a year, if it means I get my minor or overloading.

(I realize it's more than a B+, but I was just giving the official)

In case I do not get in or I decide to scrap the Health Sci idea all together, what Bio Honours porgrams would you guys suggest, given that I intend to try for med school? Aani, I'm especially interested in your opinion, since you've had experience.
You don't need to be in a specific program to apply to med school. There are just certain courses you need to have completed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-10-2009 at 01:38 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

I know, people can get in with almost anything. I was thinking along the lines of what will help me pass more easily, not to mention MCAT.

Thanks, Arnold.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:24 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman89 View Post
I did it too and I'm going into third year (I wonder who aani is...hmmm).

I'd recommend looking into the required courses for all the majors you're interested in.

If the subject matter for health sci courses seems like something you'd be interested in (as I was: anatomy, epi, cell bio, etc. were great!) then definitely apply.

For your supp app. just drop all the cliche crap and try to show who you really are, and what makes you stand out.

There's a crapload more group work, so that's something you have to consider too.

That's all I have to say. Transferring is fun. You'll become good friends with your fellow transfers.
I was actually wondering about the group work thing, it's not always a bad thing, especially since other people in Health Sci are also striving to do well, but I don't knwo if that's how it really is.
Old 07-10-2009 at 11:42 PM   #13
aani

Liked: 9 Times

Sometimes too many people who strive to do well don't get along well at all haha....you could have a group of dominant personalities or you could always have that one lazy genius in your group. But that's life...if you're prepared to do deal with it, group work won't be too bad. But if you're an independent worker and don't like relying on others, I would say that Health Sci might not be the right program for you (unless you plan on changing your habits).

In terms of other programs, I would honestly just suggest picking something that interests you. You will probably end up taking all the main Bio courses (since you're thinking about the MCAT, though I think 1st year bio is said to be sufficient) in all the programs anyway...so essentially, it's upto you as to how specialized you want to get. If you like lots of electives, life sci is really good for that. If you're loving Psych, then there's the BioPsych program.

Let me know if you have any more questions

p.s. haha samtheman...your name kind of gave away who you were!
Old 07-11-2009 at 12:03 AM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post
Sometimes too many people who strive to do well don't get along well at all haha....you could have a group of dominant personalities or you could always have that one lazy genius in your group. But that's life...if you're prepared to do deal with it, group work won't be too bad. But if you're an independent worker and don't like relying on others, I would say that Health Sci might not be the right program for you (unless you plan on changing your habits).

In terms of other programs, I would honestly just suggest picking something that interests you. You will probably end up taking all the main Bio courses (since you're thinking about the MCAT, though I think 1st year bio is said to be sufficient) in all the programs anyway...so essentially, it's upto you as to how specialized you want to get. If you like lots of electives, life sci is really good for that. If you're loving Psych, then there's the BioPsych program.

Let me know if you have any more questions

p.s. haha samtheman...your name kind of gave away who you were!
Definitely! I hate group work for the reasons you mentionned. But, being a person who's used to picking up other's slack in order to get a good grade, helped a lot in highschool - ignoring the stress and nervous breakdowns of course . But it can be also a good thing in Univ, initiative I guess?
jordan19
This message has been removed by a moderator. .