MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much will going to Mcmaster cost? mfattal General Discussion 8 09-21-2010 11:42 AM
Cost of Utilities cywhiz Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 22 08-26-2010 05:43 PM
How much does laundry cost anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 08-14-2010 11:06 PM
Taking more than 30 Units Shmowen Academics 7 06-04-2010 04:38 AM

Cost associated with taking more than 30 units?

Old 06-21-2009 at 09:17 PM   #1
orcymorky

Liked: 0 Times

Cost associated with taking more than 30 units?
Hi there! Need some quick help (SOLAR opens for me in under 2 hours :S)

I am supposed to take 30 units for second year. Looking at the registrar fees chart, it only goes up to 30 units. However, I would like to take an additional elective, bringing me to 33 units. Does my student fee cap once at 30, or does it go up? If so, by how much?
Old 06-21-2009 at 09:35 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

You may need special permission to overload your schedule and take more than 30 units.

If you are allowed to take 33 units you would have to pay more for the additional course.

Once you go on Solar and select your courses and confirm a box will pop up that tells you your total fees.

First you need to make sure you are even allowed to take 33 units.
Old 06-21-2009 at 09:46 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Overload Work: If you wish to take more than the normal number of units prescribed for a Level, you may do so only with the permission of the Office of the Associate Dean of your Faculty. Normally, a Sessional Average of at least 7.0 in the immediately preceding review period will be required if an overload is to be permitted. Additional academic fees will be assessed for overload work.

Source: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...07/sec_112.htm
Old 06-21-2009 at 09:49 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Think carefully about overloading though. The reason they require that you get permission in the first place is because the course load can be taxing and affect your grades as a result. There's always summer school if you want to do extra units. :]
Old 06-21-2009 at 09:49 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Since you won't be able to get permission to overload before SOLAR opens I suggest you hold off adding an extra elective that you feel won't be in high demand. If you have 3 electives for example and you think/know 2 will be really popular add those 2 tonight and after you get permission to overload then add the 3rd elective. Otherwise you risk a course you really want to take becoming full because you don't have permission to take it yet.