MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
laundry at mac MTK3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-03-2010 08:21 PM
Laundry at Les Prince LivLucy Les Prince Forum 2 08-17-2010 08:23 PM
Change for Laundry J-Met General Discussion 5 10-10-2008 08:25 PM
Doing Laundry Allan Residence & Housing 10 07-02-2008 08:55 AM
Off Campus Series Two Part Three: The Laundry Room lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 03-22-2008 11:47 AM

How much does laundry cost

Old 08-13-2010 at 12:01 AM   #1
anthony

Liked: 7 Times

How much does laundry cost
I want to start collecting coins for laundry so I was wondering how much it costs to do a load of laundry (washing and drying).

So how much is it and what coins should I bring?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:03 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
I want to start collecting coins for laundry so I was wondering how much it costs to do a load of laundry (washing and drying).

So how much is it and what coins should I bring?

Thanks
1.25$ for Washing
1.25$ for Drying (Extra 25$ for more drying time).
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:24 AM   #3
Kayee

Liked: 2 Times

Can I hand-wash?
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:26 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Can I hand-wash?
I don't remember seeing a sink in the laundry room of Edwards, I don't know about the other residences either.
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:38 AM   #5
Kayee

I bet it will be weird to do it in the bathrooms
So you collect your clothes and wash them every few days?
What if it is summer and the clothes will be smelling horrible if u dont wash them right away?
And what about the underwears?
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:46 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I bet it will be weird to do it in the bathrooms
So you collect your clothes and wash them every few days?
What if it is summer and the clothes will be smelling horrible if u dont wash them right away?
And what about the underwears?
You hand wash your clothes everyday? That's labour intensive...

You get a laundry bag with your macpass so I used to put all my clothes in there. I never had a problem with smelly clothes, but if that happens to you then you can always use febreeze to keep it from smelling while it's in your closet. I wash my clothes every 7-10 days. I brought enough clothes to last me 2 weeks.
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:47 AM   #7
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i suggest ur parents give u some lessons be4 u go... my english teach taught us how to do laundry instead of english hahaa i wuld just collect alot of laundry n do it on a day that ur free
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:58 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
i suggest ur parents give u some lessons be4 u go... my english teach taught us how to do laundry instead of english hahaa i wuld just collect alot of laundry n do it on a day that ur free
And in case you forget or don't know or just want to play it safe: Wash Cold, Dry Low.

I would also like to add, turn everything inside out.
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:01 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

There was a sink in Matthews Hall in the laundry room
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:23 AM   #10
Kayee

I live near the tropical area so we do laundry everyday!
So I wil have to dry the clothes?

MacPack likes this.
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:36 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I live near the tropical area so we do laundry everyday!
So I wil have to dry the clothes?
Depends on your room, some rooms have enough floor space to put a drying rack.
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:10 AM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Laundry is undoubtedly one of my favourite topics (ask lawleypop)

I haven't been in any campus laundry rooms so I'm going to outline a more general guide that you can customize if you so wish.

Laundry Detergent:
You'll want something that smells good, gets out tough stains and that you won't need too much of, for starters. I imagine laundry rooms may have those "insert a coin for a detergent sachet" machines, but I'd advise against it. When you get on campus, go to a grocery store and pick up your favourite laundry detergent, concentrated. The great thing about laundry detergent is that you don't need a lot to have great smelling, clean clothes and you can make it last for longer.

One of the first things you DON'T want to do is mix laundry detergents. They won't necessarily mean a cleaner result and mixing chemicals is usually not advisable unless you're in a lab in ABB. I recommend Tide or Purex. I think Tide is a pretty solid bet because it's just been around for so long and they're just damn good at what they do IMO. If you prefer a "greener" alternative, then go for it. I hear Arm and Hammer is also a great brand but I haven't tried it myself.

Liquids vs. Powders
Go with the liquid, any day. As you'll learn in first year Chemical Kinetics, a liquid means more molecules farther apart and more easily accessible for a reaction - they just tend to "work" better because they're well distributed and can get at the molecules in stains more easily to react with. Solids are slightly different. For one thing, most powders require water to start working but depending on how you pour in the powder, water might not always be able to get at the powder molecules, leaving you with weird clumps in your wash. Diluting a detergent powder is a better bet but they're not very miscible with water all the time when you self dilute. It requires a decent amount of practice unless you just "know" to ensure they're actually dissolving instead of just lying at the bottom, making your mixture appear cloudy. Liquids can be tough to dilute but stirring them helps.

How much:
For larger loads, or loads that are heavily soiled, you might want a 70/30 detergent/water mix. For a lighter load, go with 50/50 or even 40/60. Soap suds up, which is precisely why you don't need an immense amount for clothes that aren't soiled or stained. When you have clothes that are actually dirty, not just worn a few times, a better alternative to a large amount of detergent may simply be choosing where to put your detergent.

How to Dilute Your Liquids:
Add small amounts of water and keep mixing. The keep is to mix as much as possible and you do this by gradually adding water. If you start getting bubbles, you're good to go, but make sure your mixture isn't completely bubbly - you want the detergent to mostly react IN the wash not before.

Stain Treatment & Bleach:
If you have white clothes, the natural tendency is to bleach and I'll be the first to say, bleach works wonders. It's great for getting that "just purchased" store white and making you gleam from head to toe; it gets out tough stains like ink, blood, and even coloured "leaks" from other clothes.
But I wouldn't recommend it.
For one thing, bleach is pretty harsh and it's quite toxic. To get a really clean effect, you don't just need a good amount of bleach, you need a nice amount of water (and you don't add water to bleach, you add bleach to water) and ideally, you want this water to be pretty hot. (I don't know the Chemistry behind this part; it appears to be a family thing). For optimum results you want to soak your clothes in a tub with this mixture for a few hours, if not a day or two, and the toxic bleach fumes are not something you want to be around. They will make you dizzy, wheeze, cough and itch, and adding more laundry detergent is miles more advisable.

On delicate clothes, bleach make wreak havoc and it should only be used as a last resort or on something super precious, or when nothing else works.

That being said, let's move on to a better method of stain treatment.
Presoak, pretreat, let sit and then wash.

Unless your clothes shrink terribly or cannot be exposed to hot water, when you have a stain you want to get out, soak the fabric, especially the stained area in hot water first. Then apply your liquid detergent (preferably slightly diluted) onto the stain and rub it in. Immerse it in water (preferably hot) and it doesn't hurt to get a few bubbles going by adding some more detergent into the container and adding some more water to get things foaming up. Let this sit for a while. Then run the article of clothing through a wash, preferably warm or hot. Cold water should do the trick most times, especially if you have a cold water detergent, but for really tough stains, hot water works better sometimes.

You don't need a lot of detergent or harsh chemicals to get out stains if you're a bit committed. A bit of rubbing goes a long way. (I know, TWSS)

What to Wash Together
In a perfect world, everybody would get along, but your clothes don't work that way.
You need to sort your clothes before you throw them into the wash unless you don't mind a bunch of pink shirts or what happens to the fabrics.

A good rule is to separate cottons from more delicate fabrics like silk and satin. Cottons tend to survive harsher washes just fine (though they may shrink) but they're less adept at surviving a hot dryer IMExperience (they appear to be susceptible to wearing down more easily though it could be the tumbling that does it).
For your delicates (which includes underwear or anything fragile), cold washes and air drying them should be fine. This may appear to be a bit of a pain but you don't want that nice silk scarf to shrink or shred, and shrunken underwear is probably not the best thing to spend WW in. You'll also want to put these in a slow wash whereas cottons are usually fine in a fast wash.

What about colours?

A good rule of thumb is to separate anything vivid or in the rainbow, from your whites. This includes black clothes which may have blue undertones that can leak, or worse, black undertones that can leak. As Jeremy suggested, turning things inside out is helpful but strong colours may leak through anyway. Turning things inside out is primarily helpful for when you have graphics or delicate material on your shirts that might be ruined by excessive exposure to water or friction.

You also want to be careful when you dry these. Let's say your clothes don't dry and you assume they have, and check back 40 minutes after they were supposed to be done. In that time, the clothes may leak colour onto each other and you don't want that happening.

I can cover spin cycles, etc if desired

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

mfattal, naakamura all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

.:callen:., Cristina_n13 like this.
Old 08-13-2010 at 12:12 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I actually advised to turn thing inside out in order to prolong the life of your clothes. I don't think they actually do anything against bleeding.

I would also like to add:
Make sure you are getting the right type of detergeant. There are two types out there, normal and high efficiency. If you do not have a high efficiency washing machine, then you have to get the normal detergeant.

The logo for high efficiency is a washing machine with HE on it.

High efficiency washing machines do not fill the washing machine up with water. Instead it sprays water on the clothes gradually little by little thereby using much less water than normal washing machines.

Note: I say "normal" but I guess I should say "older" since HE washing machines are becoming the norm... but "older" doesn't fit either since you can buy a new "normal" washing machine.
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:25 PM   #14
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Does cold water washing cause colours to leak out as well?
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:28 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Does cold water washing cause colours to leak out as well?
If you've washed the clothes before then the chances of clothes bleeding while washing in cold is very low. I always wash my new clothes with like colours, but if I don't have any new clothes to wash I just wash everything at the same time since they all fit in 1 load (I was my jeans together in a separate load for different reasons). In the 3-4 years I've washed my clothes on my own I have never had my colours bleed.