MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just had couple of questions! 1nfinite First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-21-2013 04:45 PM
Couple of GPA questions hellonewyork Academics 4 05-01-2013 02:37 PM
A Couple of Questions on Course Reserves eleduc Academics 1 08-30-2010 10:20 AM
A couple of questions akbadak First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-03-2010 05:31 PM
couple of questions.. marrgarita First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2008 01:29 PM

A Couple of Questions!

Old 05-21-2014 at 10:32 PM   #1
lisar96

Liked: 4 Times

A Couple of Questions!
If anyone can help me out with these questions it would be greatly appreciated!

1. If I get a triple room, how bad is it really? What if you end up in a loft/bunk beds and you’re scared of heights/rolling over and can’t sleep on the top bunk?
2. What type of meal plan would you recommend to someone who eats all 3 meals a day, and only 2 on Saturdays and Sundays? I’m not sure how often I’d go home on weekends.
3. Does the residence questionnaire usually pair people up who will get along? I’m kinda scared of being put in a room with someone who is the complete opposite as me.
4. Can someone tell me a little bit more about the Horizons Conference (what exactly happens during the three days)? Is it worthwhile to go?
5. When I go into SOLAR the first time do I only pick my courses? Or am I able to pick specific times then too?
6. I know some residences don’t have wifi, but if you have an Ethernet cable can you connect to the internet in residence? And is an Ethernet cable provided?
7. I know the Pulse is an extra fee. Is that paid through McMaster or do I pay for it through marauders.ca?
8. This question might sound silly… I really like using binders so I can put worksheets in with the corresponding note, but most people say that notebooks will be the most beneficial. Does anyone use Five Star Flex Notebinders? (http://www.mead.com/meadstore/catalo...pro dId=29104)
Old 05-21-2014 at 11:03 PM   #2
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

1. If I get a triple room, how bad is it really? What if you end up in a loft/bunk beds and you’re scared of heights/rolling over and can’t sleep on the top bunk?
I didn't live in a triple room first year but I visited one. It looked extremely crowded, very little space for 3 people. You do get a free mini fridge and the room is cheap but it's not worth it in my opinion. As for your scare of heights, I think you can request a room change if it's severe enough. Or you can speak to you roommates and let you have the bed or the bottom bunk, while someone else takes the top bunk.

2. What type of meal plan would you recommend to someone who eats all 3 meals a day, and only 2 on Saturdays and Sundays? I’m not sure how often I’d go home on weekends.
This will depend on how much you eat as well but I would stick with the light meal plan if you're thinking of going home on the weekends sometimes. If you run out of money, you can always add more. But if you have money left, you don't get it back. First year I got the regular meal plan and I had a ton of money left by the end of the year so I had to waste it by taking my family out to the Cafeteria like 4 times lol.

3. Does the residence questionnaire usually pair people up who will get along? I’m kinda scared of being put in a room with someone who is the complete opposite as me.
When I did the questionnaire it didn't ask about our personality or anything. It only asked about our habits, like when we like to go to sleep, how clean we are, and if we use our room to study/have people over.
Me and my roommate ended up being opposites, and I wouldn't consider us friends but we still got along because she was a cool person. Honestly, by this age, you learn to deal with it. If you don't like your roommate, just don't stay in your room, study in the library, hang out somewhere else and only use your room to sleep.

4. Can someone tell me a little bit more about the Horizons Conference (what exactly happens during the three days)? Is it worthwhile to go?
I have not gone but everyone I know that has gone has loved it so I do suggest you go!

5. When I go into SOLAR the first time do I only pick my courses? Or am I able to pick specific times then too?
The first time you only pick which course, which term you have it in. You don't get to pick the specific times, SOLAR does that for you.

6. I know some residences don’t have wifi, but if you have an Ethernet cable can you connect to the internet in residence? And is an Ethernet cable provided?
That's what I had first year, an Ethernet cable. It's not in the the room when you move in, you have to get it from the Commons building but it's free and I got to keep it even after I moved out. Just saying, a lot of people around you are probably going to be setting up routers so you can just use their Wi-Fi lol.

7. I know the Pulse is an extra fee. Is that paid through McMaster or do I pay for it through marauders.ca?
I'm not sure about that because I've never been to the gym at this University haha.

8. This question might sound silly… I really like using binders so I can put worksheets in with the corresponding note, but most people say that notebooks will be the most beneficial. Does anyone use Five Star Flex Notebinders? (http://www.mead.com/meadstore/catalo...pro dId=29104)
This depends on what course it's for. I would still get binders even if you use notebooks because what you'll end up doing is printing out the powerpoint slides for a lot of the classes and you'll want a binder for that definitely. I personally don't like notebooks either, I just used binders and lined paper.

Last edited by kaytuh : 05-22-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Chad, lisar96 all say thanks to kaytuh for this post.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-21-2014 at 11:50 PM   #3
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I lived in a Triple during first year and the beds were not that bad. There is a barrier/rail on the side of the bed so that you don't roll off. I got used to the beds within the first week.

lisar96 says thanks to Swampis for this post.
Old 05-22-2014 at 09:49 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

For #5, you are able to pick the courses and the term, then solar will assign you specific sections. A couple of days after your timetable is released, you are able to go on solar to switch, but the sections you want may be full.

For #7, I always just did the Pulse thing in person at DBAC. Apparently it can be done online but I've never been able to get that to work (not that I tried very hard lol). I'm not sure what you mean by paying "through McMaster" though.

For #8, I wouldn't recommend binders or notebooks. I preferred folders, and I would print off all of the slides, write on them during class, and put them in the folders. It depends on how you take notes though, and what courses you're taking, but don't go off of high school. Note taking in university is very different, and you won't really be getting worksheets to put in with your notes.

lisar96 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 05-22-2014 at 11:20 AM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar96 View Post

1) you most likely wont get triple room. they have been taken out almost entirely and the people who live in them are the ones who request 2 roommates. dont expect to get a triple.

2) get the cheapest meal plan. you can easily add money on it but cant take it off so if you have excess on it, it will disappear (unless its part of the small portion that carries to next year). get the cheapest plan and dont buy too many drinks like juice/water/pop on campus since its all a ripoff. bring drinks in bulk to your res.

3) from the questionnaire alone, you cant say if you will get along with your roommate. they try their best to put you with someone who fills it out similarly but that doesnt mean you will get along with them. do your best to be nice and understanding with your roommate and hope they are the same. if issues arise, you will have community advisors there to help you.

4) i cant say much but i always hear great things about this conference.

5) just courses.

6) yes cable is provided. i think all residences will have wifi this year since a handful had them last year. not sure though but the cables will be provided and you shouldnt have internet issues.

7) you can pay online but i always pay at the front desk since i find it easier than paying online.

8) i started out with binders in first year too. got rid of them fast and just used notebooks/printed off slides which i would just staple together and keep them in notebooks. most people are binder people in high school and switch to notebooks since its more convenient they find and more compact. and line paper is always readily available.

Chad, lisar96 all say thanks to Silver for this post.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-22-2014 at 01:31 PM   #6
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

8) I've used notebooks, duotangs, binders, and a laptop for taking notes. For me, one binder for all of my courses worked really well because everything is in one place. I started using my laptop last semester when I was running late one day and didn't want to disrupt the lecture by pulling out all of my paper/pens/etc. As long as you stay off of Facebook et al and pay attention it can be an effective note taking tool - that said, research shows that using a laptop in lecture on average lowers your GPA by a full point so YMMV.

lisar96 says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-22-2014 at 02:43 PM   #7
raspberry

Liked: 1 Time

1. I had a few friends in triple rooms and they said it wasn't too bad, a bit cramped at times. If you're scared of heights, maybe you can ask one of your roommates to trade beds with you?
2. I would suggest getting the smallest meal plan and then adding on more money throughout the year if you need to. That would be a better option than choosing a meal plan with too much money that won't carry over.
4. I definitely recommend you attend Horizons! It's an amazing opportunity to meet new people and build leadership skills before coming to Mac. It was definitely one of the most rewarding experiences I've had at Mac thus far.
6. They provide you with an ethernet cable. Also, you can bring a router and hook it up so that you have wi-fi in your room, that's what I did during first year and I found it very useful.

lisar96 says thanks to raspberry for this post.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-22-2014 at 04:59 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar96 View Post

It depends on the roommates. As long you don't get a bitch/dick person you'll be fine. You can request to switch but you are typically assigned
Always get lowest, you can add more anytime
Typically they do their best
Not sure google the conference
There are 2 stages. Check the calendar for registration dates. First time is just to get into the class you want. Typically you want to get into your electives first because the cores are guaranteed. When it closes and reopens, then you fight for cores
There is ethernet plug at each desk, cord is provided
Extra. Pulse is just weight room. Your student fees include access to the rest of theg ym
Depends on yourself. Some use one giant binder. Some one notebook/binder per subject. Some just carry a stack of papers. I use just one 1.5" binder with looseleaf paper

lisar96 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-23-2014 at 07:10 PM   #9
lisar96

Thanks so much for the detailed replies! It helped clear up a lot of things for me.
I have 2 more questions!

1. Is it a big hassle to go back into SOLAR and try to change the times/cores? Or should I just use the times SOLAR gives me?
2. My faculty offers a summer academic counselling session in July. Is it okay for me to have chosen courses in SOLAR and then attend the counselling session?

Chad likes this.
Old 05-23-2014 at 07:14 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

1. You can always go back and switch. Try to plan ahead of time and see something that fits your schedule nicely. (Example if you hate morning class and want to switch to afternoon where thers space, do so!) Play around with it. Google timetablegenerator.co m and mcmaster master timetable for a full list of cores/times and play around. Just beware, once registration starts, it's hard to get back in cause of the huge volume of students on the shitty system.

2. Yes

lisar96 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 05-23-2014 at 07:40 PM   #11
lisar96

Thank you!

I actually have one more question. tend to think of more as we go along.

Does anyone know if the McMaster GO Bus runs from the Bramalea GO Station or Square One Terminal runs during July or August (or on a limited schedule)? According the GOTransit Google Trip Planner it doesn't run at all.

Chad likes this.
Old 05-23-2014 at 09:18 PM   #12
LRDuggan

Liked: 0 Times

It runs - you have to check Go Transit schedules - these are the schedules for the 47 bus (it will be in the schedule as - the 407 west bus or 45-48 bus).

lisar96 says thanks to LRDuggan for this post.
Old 05-24-2014 at 11:17 PM   #13
lisar96

On the residence questionnaire it asks me how strongly I agree or disagree with how casual my room is. What does that mean in terms of my room? :$
Old 05-25-2014 at 08:53 PM   #14
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

How 'casual' your room is? Hmm, that's interesting. What is the exact wording of the question?

Maybe they are referring to whether or not you'll be having 'casual guests' in your room?
Old 05-26-2014 at 09:54 PM   #15
lisar96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
How 'casual' your room is? Hmm, that's interesting. What is the exact wording of the question?

Maybe they are referring to whether or not you'll be having 'casual guests' in your room?

It says...

My room is:
Casual
Strongly disagree------------------------------Strongly agree (The "---" is a bar thingy to rank the preference)