MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Questions mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-15-2010 08:39 PM
A Couple of Questions on Course Reserves eleduc Academics 1 08-30-2010 10:20 AM
A couple of questions akbadak First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-03-2010 05:31 PM
Questions about a couple of courses: Econ, History, Indig St aani Academics 3 06-18-2009 08:31 PM
couple of questions.. marrgarita First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-11-2008 01:29 PM

Couple Questions From a Soon to Be Engineering Student

Old 05-28-2011 at 10:10 PM   #16
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

I have a question :

How fun is EE if you like programming and circuit design ?
Old 05-28-2011 at 10:23 PM   #17
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
I have a question :

Circuits and programming is almost all you do (with some electromagnetism and math thrown in). However it's more circuit analysis, not design.
Old 05-29-2011 at 10:23 AM   #18
Michael23

Liked: 0 Times

I was looking into course selection and I'm just wondering...Engineeri ng I has already 5 courses per term that are mandatory.. do we have to also take the electives first year or can we opt to take them in summer school? What did you guys do? wouldn't that mean 6 courses per semester?
Old 05-29-2011 at 10:45 AM   #19
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
I have a question :

Its basically what you do in EE lol.

2nd year is heavily focused on circuit analysis and programming, third year is more circuits and less programming
Old 05-29-2011 at 11:30 AM   #20
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael23 View Post
I was looking into course selection and I'm just wondering...Engineeri ng I has already 5 courses per term that are mandatory.. do we have to also take the electives first year or can we opt to take them in summer school? What did you guys do? wouldn't that mean 6 courses per semester?
Yep, welcome to Engineering.

All my Engy friends took their electives during the year.

I'm assuming you would be able to take them in summer school next year but you would face some complications when applying to Level II programs, where they consider your grades based on # of courses you have. (Correct me if I'm wrong about that)

Last edited by RememberTwce : 05-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2011 at 08:16 AM   #21
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Yep, welcome to Engineering.

All my Engy friends took their electives during the year.

I'm assuming you would be able to take them in summer school next year but you would face some complications when applying to Level II programs, where they consider your grades based on # of courses you have. (Correct me if I'm wrong about that)
Well your CA would be calculated based on the number of credits you have but having more credits (thus more courses) would not mean you get a higher CA. On the contrary, I would think having less courses would allow you to do better and thus attain a higher mark...As long as you have all the required core courses (everything but the 2 electives essentially), you can apply to and get into 2nd year.

Email Sally Williams to make sure but I'm almost positive that is correct.
Old 05-30-2011 at 09:14 AM   #22
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
Circuits and programming is almost all you do (with some electromagnetism and math thrown in). However it's more circuit analysis, not design.
Surprisingly, for 2EI5 with Haddara this year, they had a design project. Needed to design a BJT circuit by hand/PSpice that met certain requirements. I think the amount of design you get is based on who you get as a prof. I'm sure Davidson would place a large emphasis on it for 2CI5.

Old 05-30-2011 at 02:04 PM   #23
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Well your CA would be calculated based on the number of credits you have but having more credits (thus more courses) would not mean you get a higher CA. On the contrary, I would think having less courses would allow you to do better and thus attain a higher mark...
I think it kinda depends on what electives you take, to be honest. I had Communications and Anthro, both of which didn't require a ton of effort and gave me a pretty good mark, so it probably just boosted my average. For the one or two nights I genuinely had to devote to my electives, I realistically wouldn't have put those towards my other Eng courses if my electives didn't need them; I probably would have just taken a break.

But it depends a lot on what you take, how much effort it requires, and how much effort you'll actually put in, for sure. Though as far as I know, most of the electives on the complementary studies list aren't that demanding, especially compared to most of the required courses.
Old 05-31-2011 at 08:34 AM   #24
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
I think it kinda depends on what electives you take, to be honest. I had Communications and Anthro, both of which didn't require a ton of effort and gave me a pretty good mark, so it probably just boosted my average. For the one or two nights I genuinely had to devote to my electives, I realistically wouldn't have put those towards my other Eng courses if my electives didn't need them; I probably would have just taken a break.

But it depends a lot on what you take, how much effort it requires, and how much effort you'll actually put in, for sure. Though as far as I know, most of the electives on the complementary studies list aren't that demanding, especially compared to most of the required courses.

This is very true. But in my first year, I took Latin 1Z03 and Econ 1B03 and I did fine in Econ but Latin actually ended up bringing me down...No one ever told me that I didn't have to take those electives first year because if I had known that, personally I would've taken them over the summer where I could've gotten 12 in both easily.